+23 Giving unwarranted "advice" to people on how to change their appearance is mean, amirite?

by Williamsonisabe 4 weeks ago

Every time i've brought this up on other platforms and to people i know i've been told that people giving this advice are just trying to help and i shouldn't be annoyed when it happens.

Idk why either. Honestly it's mental when people say you're sensitive for not wanting advice that you never asked for! I also don't think its necessarily people on here are stupid, its more they don't like being told something is rude.

I swear these types of people just think "I have such a compulsive need to offer advice that you have to deal with my advice even if you don't want it. I can't help myself." I have people in my life like this and it makes me avoid them as much as I can. I know where to go for advice, and that's what I do. If I didn't ask you, it's because I didn't want your advice. So don't give it to me when I didn't ask, no matter what it's about. Their argument is always some brand of "Take what you can use and leave the rest." But if you don't take their advice, then they come back at you about it later 🙄

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Yeah it's definitely them feeling they need to offer this advice. Even when I do need advice i avoid people who do this. I find it crazy when they expect you to utilise this advice that you don't need or want

I'm pretty sure a large portion of the world would agree with you though, so I don't think this is an unpopular opinion. However, a lot of the people who give these tips aren't trying to be mean. It also quite depends on what you're saying to the person and how petty they are.

by Sklein 4 weeks ago

Maybe. Its been relatively unpopular on other platforms though and i have had a couple people whining about it

never say something to someone if it doesn't take less than 10 minutes to fix

by nicoletteschmid 4 weeks ago

Definitely! I've been raised with this rule yet so many people don't know it!!

Agreed. Some people, especially boomers overstep boundaries and will even belittle you whilst going oh but it's so you can find a lovely partner!

by Lparisian 4 weeks ago

honestly drives me crazy when people claim its to find a partner. a lovely partner wouldnt care what you look like

Exactly.

by Lparisian 4 weeks ago

Look at you.. Belittling Boomers and they aren't even in the room.. Smfh

by Kleindestiny 4 weeks ago

That goes for anything in life not just your appearance. So many people have tried to give me advice on how to live my life when I've never asked. Is a bit rude now I think about it.

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Definitely! No clue why these people think they're qualified to give advice

At this point we need a social acceptable wear that means don't interact with me.

by bbeahan 4 weeks ago

Agreed. Usually i just put my headphones on and blast music but people still try to talk to me.

Simple I just wear a blank hoodie and jeans with cheap shoes when I don't want to interact with people. Otherwise I wear my nicer "street" clothes when I'm out with people (if that makes sense basically nicer shoes, maybe a hoodie or shirt with some pop to it). Idk if this is what you were trying to get at but hopefully this is.

by gunnarbartell 4 weeks ago

You can't just start complaining that you're ugly and expect people to not try and help you with advice.

by devankub 4 weeks ago

Disagree that this is unpopular IRL. If OP strictly means online, ok

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

it's unpopular with the people i interact with so i assumed it'd be the same with other people tbf. Definitely unpopular online aswell

But OP, you'd look so pretty with bangs, they would really just make your eyes pop.

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

umm ok...

You're mean.

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

how lol?

You mean "unsolicited".

by krajcikleopoldo 4 weeks ago

Some people have no sense of coordination or style. If you have a friend who could do with a makeover, helping them beautify themselves isn't mean. I don't think you know what mean is if you think this is.

by Mindless_Bat 4 weeks ago

How would you know in the first place unless someone tells you?

by Successful-Mail 4 weeks ago

Some people don't want to know others opinions on their appearance, some people just don't care. Also most people own mirrors and can see what they look like.