+28 Songs don't need lyrics to be good, amirite?

by Oharajoel 4 weeks ago

Your use of 'traditional' is a bit... incorrect.

by New-Bend-2660 4 weeks ago

Your "opinion" is a little bit… unpopular

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Oh so classical music is less traditional than rap? Got it

Thats true for some genres. But genres like classical or jazz(for the most part), or some electronica, they don't contain lyrics usually. You sound like someone who only listens to rap(I am not saying this to judge you) and because most rap beats are simple and cannot work without lyrics you stand with the opinion that it's better to have lyrics. But I appreciate that you are open minded.

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Also, you don't need words to tell a story

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

This man right here, knows exactly what is going on. Real music fan right here.

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Dont forget that classical music in its hight was also created with templates. Some things just sound better together than others. Bach is a good example. When he became the court composer he created piece after piece by making templates and putting them together. He also has over 1100 pieces, many of which were written in court in the last stage of his life

by Qerdman 4 weeks ago

Yes that's exactly the same reason classical composers used templates. Sonata forms have a particular sound, rhythmic cadence, structure etc. that's distinct from, say, a partita. Not to say that writing in a sonata form or whatever is just paint by numbers, but neither is pop songwriting. There's room in all forms for true creativity.

by robeljamison 4 weeks ago

Orrrrrr instrumental, idk maybe even more peaceful songs with the flute and the piano. You got me there ngl, but there's more than just edm. I mean hell, I can jam to jetpack joyride.

by Oharajoel 4 weeks ago

In jest...if you're one those "I listen to the instrumental only version of a record"...yeah, that's a little odd, but I agree with you that the production behind the song matters most. Next time you're looking for something to bop to...MCMXC a.D. by Enigma (if it's not already on your playlist).

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Aren't songs without words just music?

by Dominic23 4 weeks ago

I've been listening to loads of French music recently; don't have a clue what they're saying but I like how it sounds. La Femme for example. Also Turkish band She Past Away, and Eastern European bands Molchat Doma, Shortparis, etc. Also extreme metal; I can't understand the words at all

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

If you like French music look up Cœur de Pirate, she was my first intro to French music. And Polo & Pan, kinda French EDM

by Herzogkaia 4 weeks ago

They're all just tunes at the end of the day:)

by skylar78 4 weeks ago

No. OP is an idiot and you're proving him right.

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

You just need more cultured friends, it seems. There are plenty of purely instrumental artists getting lots of love for fans. They aren't pop artists, but they still tour and are financially supported by their musical careers in numerous ways.

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

I make instrumental music in my side project. It's nice to hear that someone might check it out when I release it ha

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Auto Rock by Mogwai is one of my favorite instrumental songs

by Evening_Pen 4 weeks ago

If there's no words, it is, by definition, not a song.

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Oop- you're right! I didn't know that!

Love the piano in it.

by Oharajoel 4 weeks ago

Do you like classical music?

Not typically tbh, I usually like the fast paced stuff but I like Enya (singer name I think)

by Oharajoel 4 weeks ago

I don't typically listen to classical music but I Love Toccata and Fugue by Bach.

Toccata and Fugue is amazing. Bach is great. You know what else is great? Overwerk's Tocatta

by FlySerious 4 weeks ago

Oh, sweet - thanks! I love when the choir dropped in!

Enjoy! I fully recommend the rest of their catalog.

by FlySerious 4 weeks ago

The popularity is debatable. Tbh I feel the opinions shift between online and irl too.

by Oharajoel 4 weeks ago

That song you guys love to play at this Christian Camp for Kids is about Cocaine Addiction. Is an actual conversion I've had.

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

I got shunned for having instrumental versions of popular songs in my playlist and not the originals

by josiah37 4 weeks ago

That might be what it is to you, but not everyone. I feel emotions from lyrics, a voice, a story. Doesn't make it less meaningful than what you like.

by Mean_Construction 4 weeks ago

I have always felt this way. It'll take me forever to actually start listening to the lyrics of a song. I hear vocals more as an instrument. Never understood how people can sign songs they heard.

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

A ton of people enjoy instrumental music. Look how big the Lo-fi scene is. Or back in the day when trap and edm were popping off. Hell even now, phonk music is kinda popping off because of memes.

by holliesmith 4 weeks ago

In terms of unpopular opinions, this is not an unpopular opinion.

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Extremely pedantic answer: A song, by definition, requires lyrics. A tune is a piece of music with no lyrics. But you're right, music does not need lyrics to be interesting. A lot of the most famous pieces of music across several genres and eras have been instrumental, and even the most famous parts of many songs that do have lyrics are the instrumental parts.

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

I know some good songs with good lyrics, but I also know good songs without lyrics. It's not that I haven't heard good lyrics, it's that songs can be good without them too.

by Oharajoel 4 weeks ago

Vast majority of the music I listen to is instrumental

by Lela59 4 weeks ago

Sokka-Haiku by DoobOnTheDip: Vast majority Of the music I listen To is instrumental Remember that one time Sokka accidentally used an extra syllable in that Haiku Battle in Ba Sing Se? That was a Sokka Haiku and you just made one.

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

I don't need alcohol to have fun, but it sure makes it easier.

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

I love the song oye como va by Santana! Just the right amount of singing imo. I also wish Brian Johnson wouldn't have sang so much on AC/DC songs, I want to hear Angus more! Bob Scott on the other hand, just the right amount

by sierra28 4 weeks ago

The voice is an instrument. Sometimes it has a place in an ensemble or group, sometimes it doesn't. Compared to other instruments, a voice feels human and relatable which is why it is often features in songs.

by alberta26 4 weeks ago

This is why I like Tool. Yes, there is singing, but it's not really the focal point. This is especially apparent during theirblive shows when Maynard is in the back of the stage with the guitarists up front. His vocals add to the music rather than distracting from it. Some of their songs go on for a long time without any vocals as well, and I never get bored of them.

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Your point especially applies to videogame soundtracks. My favorite example would be the Kingdom Hearts series OST. It is just incredible, has such diversity, and a rollercoaster range of emotions. The only vocals that typically apply are choral ones in a different language, or rhythmic chanting (there are some exceptions to this, depending on the Disney property).

by aidanoconnell 4 weeks ago

Absolutely agree, go watch Interstella 5555, an hour-long animated movie with no dialogue and daft punk songs with no lyrics. Its amazing.

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

I can never understand the majority of lyrics anyway unless I sit down and read them as the song plays. I have a friend who can listen to a song 2 or 3 times and then somehow has all the lyrics memorized, have no idea how that dude's brain works like that.

by spinkahobart 4 weeks ago

yea, this isnt unpopular instrumental metal, rock, hiphop beats, etc… all exist for a reason, oh yea and jazz, classical…

by ImmediateEarth7385 4 weeks ago

Nintendo strikes again

You should try shoegaze, literally the whole point is to wash out the vocals so you can't hear the lyrics as well and you can treat them like another instrument. The music is usually badass too

by Open_Cap6959 4 weeks ago

I can understand that. I have some friends who will primarily listen to old songs because of good lyrics. For them, it's meaningless to listen to a song if they don't understand the lyrics.

by Monahanramon 4 weeks ago

Of course not. Tycho - Awake great example

by Welchdeon 4 weeks ago

Plini, intervals, polyphia, and the classics like Satriani, Vai, Matthias eklundh etc all amazing create amazing music. Too many more to list.

by ApplicationPrior9091 4 weeks ago

hollow purple 🔥🔥🔥

by Independent_Bus1806 4 weeks ago

As someone that listens to about 90% video game OSTs I feel ya. Love a good orchestral arrangement or piano piece. But also because non-licensed lyrical songs are decidedly more rare in video games I get uber hyped every time one shows up in a game. Love any brand of Sonic lyrical tracks, hell just the other night I teared up to No Promises to Keep from FFVII Rebirth.

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

I like lots of instrumental music (especially when I work and stuff) but I'm a reader and good lyrics can add an element of storytelling that really connect me to a song. In the end, lyrics are what i attach to in most songs over the music itself. Also I like to sing! Im ok enough at it to be comfortable singing around people too so not having lyrics means I can't do that.

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Honestly, I have never heard or know someone that has this take so I don't know if it's unpopular or not lmao

by Perfect-Goat 4 weeks ago

Whoa, leik cumpleetly oreegeenell tek, yew heyv bez mewzek testt. You say singers are boring, I say you're boring by limiting yourself in such a way. What a one directional take, you have probably missed a lot of music. I'm done with you, GUARDS!!!!!!

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

I have trouble understanding lyrics in songs often. And i dont really care either. I listen to the lyrics as if its another instrument. Then if i like it and want to know the lyrics i look it up and follow along. Unless its rap

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

well you are listening to the wrong songs Imagine Billy Joel's song Goodnight Saigon without lyrics? or John Lennon's Imagine with no words or Queen's The Show Must Go On lyric free but if all you care about is the beat ... who cares what you like

by keelingjosue 4 weeks ago

Wait till you hear about symphonic music...

by Old-Top 4 weeks ago

"People told me that my music is bad, so I'm telling everybody that their music is bad"

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

I always felt like instrumentals have a story, but can't be described in words. Super cool

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Most of music I like is instrumental, my music is private, I do not understand "shun". It is my music and there is no option to "shun it". I do not need other people's applause.

by jacklynondricka 4 weeks ago

A cappella is the only true music form

by Mother-Chocolate 4 weeks ago

According to the Oxford dictionary, a song requires words. So what you're referring to is just "music". Bad title, and this whole opinion is based around a mistaken understanding.

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

I love pink Floyd because they understood that lyrics are part of the song not the whole song, and had long instrumental sections

by Heloisejenkins 4 weeks ago

Real music appreciators don't care about lyrics

by Wizaabdiel 4 weeks ago

One of my favorite examples of this is Vanderlyle Crybaby Cry by The National. The lyrics were chosen to compliment the instruments and honestly don't make much sense.

by LiveSweet9537 4 weeks ago

Classical Music... that's all I'll say.

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

My man have you heard of Polyphia? The majority of their songs dont have lyrics but they're one of my favorite bands.

by Guilty_News 4 weeks ago

I think your opinion is less controversial than mine, which is why the hell we call musical compositions without lyrics or even voice components "songs".

by AlgaeSuccessful4396 4 weeks ago

No-one says this. Vocal-free electronic, jazz, classical music is very popular. (Also, technically, it's only a song if someone is singing. That's what ‘song' means

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

For me, a song's production had to be good before i even listen to lyrics, but i wont listen to a good song without lyrics

by hagenesgladys 4 weeks ago

No lyrical song will ever live up to this masterpiece

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Your very last sentence is basically exactly why I like a lot of psychedelic music with lyrics but not much otherwise. Most lyrical music uses the instruments as support for the vocalist and the vocals are the main focus. But most psychedelic music is actively trying to blend it all together, make everything support everything else. Sunbeam sound machine comes to mind immediately. But yeah for the most part I like instrumental music too.

by skylar78 4 weeks ago

I've listened to Linkin Park for years and still love them even though the lyrics are usually depressing. The songs were typically bangers. I'm 100% a "music, not lyrics" person.

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

Massively depends on the genre

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

I listen to Death Metal the majority of the time. I can relate, trust me!

by smithamamanda 4 weeks ago

Classical music has entered the chat…

by Anonymous 4 weeks ago

You like music, not songs. By definition(simplified) music no lyrics, songs have lyrics. Also, a voice definitely IS an instrument. You like what you like and thats ok.

by Usual-Necessary 3 weeks ago

I need vocals in order to listen to a song or else it's missing a critical part for me. But as for what the lyrics are about, that depends on how complex the music is. In power metal that takes crack and speed I don't care about lyrics but if you want me to listen to very simple cookie cutter pop the lyrics need to be on point. Disregard that if the lyrics are funny, I don't listen to country but Wheeler Walker Jr is one of the humanuty's best recent inventions and Balls in your jaws goes hard

by IllustriousWaltz3830 3 weeks ago

Coming from someone who listens more to the music than the singer that's a solid opinion.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

I see you've discovered jam bands

by Herzogkaia 3 weeks ago

Music without singing is still music, but it's not for me.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

This. Is not. Unpopular.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

If you're writing instrumentals then you get a pass, but if you're writing music with words then put some damn effort into it.

by Flockman 3 weeks ago

I love ambient music. Moonlight sonata is my favorite to fall asleep to. No lyrics for me means no annoying ear worms either. Just mood

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

I feel very similarly about lyrics often being distracting when they should be used as instruments. But I've never really been a fan of feeling the beat. Melody is where it's at for me, a strong melody is all it takes for me to melt into a song. I pretty much exclusively listen to video game osts (yeah I know, point and laugh)

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

Have you never heard of an instrumental song

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

One of my favorite bands is arch echo they have no vocals and manage to be crazy

by NaiveAssociation 3 weeks ago

I agree. On a road trip a while back my partner woke up to find me listening to Christian rock on the radio. She was very surprised since I'm not a huge fan of organized religion. I had no idea until she said something and I started listening... I've always had a tough time hearing lyrics.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

I agree, i don't need someone chanting an opinion at me, i prefer not to participate in the psy-op lol

by Pure-Accountant1704 3 weeks ago

If you're talking about classical music, jazz, or funk: Yeah, absolutely. If you're talking about video game music: No, listen to real music.

by Repulsive-Arugula-44 3 weeks ago

Mozart made quite many good songs without lyrics.

by kenna37 3 weeks ago

🤦

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

This shouldn't be unpopular. This is exactly why I like videogame music.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

What is music exactly?

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

A bunch of stuff!

by ImaginationNo2298 3 weeks ago

I simply disagree. I've heard pretty of songs without lyrics that give me many feelings. Joy, depressed, motivated, even ones that let me think about the world. You don't need a singer to tell you a story, I'm pretty sure music is much more than that.

by Oharajoel 3 weeks ago

Without lyrics though the listener is who makes the story. Our teacher in school had us listen to "in the hall of the mountain king" and asked us to write down what it was about. Not one wrote the same thing. People may interpret lyrics differently too but it's fairly obvious to most what the intended story is. So you kinda do need a singer to tell a story. But to bring a story out? Well, that's a different story.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

True, but a lot of people don't even listen to the lyrics .

by Oharajoel 3 weeks ago

I mean… I never paid attention to the lyrics of "brown sugar" by the Rolling Stones and I probably should have because it turns out they're actually really racist and sexualises young black slave girls.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

They are not racist. They are just telling an ugly story in a provocative way. They were very edgy and provocative for their time, that's a part of their brand.

by Aggressive_Lie 3 weeks ago

Well that escalated quickly, not really sure what to do with that lol

by Oharajoel 3 weeks ago

I think lyrics are great for songs but 60 to about 80% if the song that's makes it good is the overall beat or instrumental. But you have to pay attention to the "lyrics need meaning crowd". Lyrics can definitely add to the song for sure but the vast majority of music history didn't have that much lyrics. Like lyrics being the end all be all came really in the 1900s hard body 1950s. Before that you had Jazz and classical that didn't have that many lyrics which people will say is some of the highest form of music. Another thing that i see is people who care about lyrics tend to be surface level deep people. What i mean is they want to seem deep but they really aren't. I see it in the hip hop crowd a lot they have this notion that a rap song has to be about struggling being poor and relatable. When a lot of mainstream pop songs have deep meaning but they are underneath when listen to the lyrics. For example All Falls Down is a pop song by Kanye but the song is about consumerism can damage people particularly in the black community. Or Hey Ya by Outkast is actually a sad love song.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

I outta give those names a try.

by Oharajoel 3 weeks ago

More effort? Are you a musician at all? This is so wild to hear. Some songs don't need lyrics... Sure, a simple lo-fi beat or something definitely feels like something is "missing" but you could hardly argue that Claire De Lune would be improved by adding lyrics or that Rachmaninoff's Italian Polka would have been considered to have "more effort" put into it for having lyrics.

by wisokyvivienne 3 weeks ago

A great point well made. Perhaps ‘effort' was the wrong choice of word. I have a wide-ranging eclectic taste in music. It's all relative anyway. To each their own.

by erickakshlerin 3 weeks ago

Yeah I getcha, I'm a big fan of a lot of styles & genres, my playlists are quite often hectic to others, they get a bit frightened when Britney Spears transitions into Slipknot.

by wisokyvivienne 3 weeks ago

Song don't even need lyrics.

by Octaviakris 3 weeks ago

My man just discovered breakcore and video game OST's. Very welcome inclusion because those songs slap

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

Early rap/hip-hop (started in the 70s) framework = lyrics with a steady, simple beat as the background. The lyrics are the art. None of this mumble rap garbage. it's about the structure, flow, and wordplay, and story, it's really fascinating if you look into it. This video has a great way to explain it:

by Hammesshanel 3 weeks ago

You sing song and play/make music. They are different things.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago