+24 No matter how high you reach in life in terms of money, respect and status. You would always be limited by who your parents are, amirite?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Sure, but... oh well. It's not like I could have been born to different parents and still be me. Kinda understandable that the people who raise you and supply your genetics are going to be a huge factor in your life outcome.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Exactly. This is like complaining about the laws of physics. Shaking your fist at the void is pointless and a recipe for depression.

by Joy03 1 week ago

The shaking does make me feel better

by spinkaclementin 1 week ago

I complain about gravity all the time. F*CK YOU gravity!

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Yes. The best I've been able to do is therapy and also my partner knows my history with my mom and can kindly point out situations where I'm behaving in a way that is reflective of my upbringing.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Yeah this is like everyone going "well if I was born 59 years ago too..." OK... Just worry about what you can do today, in this lifetime, don't worry about ancestors or older people and what they did.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I think OP is criticizing the self-made myth

by Anonymous 1 week ago

That's not what he means though. How you behave socially, your standard vocabulary, your manners. Stuff like that is not defined by genetics but by the social background you grow up in. There is something we call "stable smell". What it means is that if you grow up in a rural community mostly dominated by farmers you can go to university all you like, people from the upper class will always recognize that and you will have a hard time being accepted into their circles. People born to the upper class will fit in seamlessly because they all went to the same private schools when they are young. Classism is a thing really, and the idea of everyone having the same opportunities is a mere illusion. And a convenient one too, at least if you are born rich.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I understand, I didn't expand on it but yeah that's what I meant by the people who raise you being a huge factor. If they raise you rurally and lower class, that'll affect your outcomes statistically for myriad reasons including those you mentioned. I certainly didn't mean to imply everyone had the same opportunities. I just don't expect that to change without enormous social change which I think is unlikely for many reasons, many involving human nature as I understand it.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

… watch three perfect strangers

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Want to briefly summarize what you expect me to take away from it?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

This "opinion" isn't unpopular or even unknown to people who study biology.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

This is why orphans have such unlimited potential.

by Easton37 1 week ago

Boom

by zwiza 1 week ago

Batman

by EnvironmentalQuit 1 week ago

Exactly.

by Easton37 1 week ago

Hey! He has Alfred

by Agreeable-Corner 1 week ago

Annie's come up story is unmatched

by Anonymous 1 week ago

This is so true. The old phrase "opposites attract" is kind of an oversimplification but there is truth to it. The reality is you want to be the same as your spouse in specific ways ex/child rearing, politics etc. but you also want to be different from them in some ways ex/ temperament, strengths vs weaknesses, interests

by jonesbrooklyn 1 week ago

My husband and I call it complimentary strengths. We're quite the team.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Yeah living with my girlfriend made me aware of tons of weird things I did because of the way I was raised. It was like getting a second chance at being educated properly.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

My husband and I have almost 0 overlap in our skills. It's incredibly handy. We didn't plan it that way necessarily but we were definitely attracted to the qualities the other has that we lack. I admire him so much for what he's able to bring to our relationship and family because I could never do what he does and I know he feels the same about me. We really are a perfect team. Our values and ideals are the same but the way we tackle it is different. Opposites attract works well in that sense, but sometimes people take the idea too far. I would say my husband and I are very similar in all the ways that matter and different in all the most interesting, fun, and helpful ways.

by Itowne 1 week ago

This is stupid because there are siblings with the same parents and massively different outcomes

by Jaidacassin 1 week ago

Yup, exactly. My mom was born in a poor family (4 kids) with an abusive, alcoholic father and a mother who did not work and was regularly absent. My mom was told multiple times throughout her life she should not shoot for the stars because of her background and was only allow3med to study nursing (instead of medicine) bc she would end up a SAHM anyways. She became an amazing nurse and climbed up to become director of multiple nursing homes. One of her sisters had a bit more difficult start but she also kept going and now recently finished a PhD. Another sister tried, but did not succeed and ended up with early retirement due to psychological issues. Her brother became the same man their father was: An abusive alcoholic. All 4 vastly different, but at least two of them showed that they could definitely overcome their parents.

by Appropriate-Laugh814 1 week ago

Right? My brothers are super successful engineers and I'm still living in my childhood bedroom!

by amaliafay 1 week ago

Exactly!

by Apprehensive_Tip 1 week ago

The outliers, yes. But on average siblings are more likely to be about the same level of income, social status and so on.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Sometimes parents have preferences for specific children and give them special treatment even if they would never admit it.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Yeah, but not always. My older sister and I are extremely different and our parents didn't play favorites. It's a little early to say what our "life outcomes" are (she's 19 I'm 17) but even this early I can tell that we are probably going to go down two very different paths

by Uhowe 1 week ago

So genetic and environment? That's a whole lot of word to express something so many people did before you.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Nature vs Nurture concept.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Even more unpopular opinion: As an adult, it's entirely your fault if you don't identify those blind spots and work to overcome them. Especially in this day and age of information at our fingertips.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Eww! Yuck! Accountability… thanks, but no thanks!

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Yes exactly!! Self reflection and change are very important tools. We don't have to be our parents, we choose to.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I sort of agree with you, but in what aspect are you talking about. Looks? Life lessons and how you were raised? Just money and inheritance?

by Golson 1 week ago

Limited? That's a blind spot. Your parents are the floor not the ceiling. If they're the ceiling then you need to grow out of their grasp

by Hahnalda 1 week ago

🏆

by zwiza 1 week ago

Or build a wall. No door. OP you might not be able to choose your parents but you absolutely can control their access to you and their presence/influence in your adult life.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

My parents (step and paternal) are all alcoholics and addicts ~ I've been in therapy for years and work in a corporate setting. I'm the polar opposite of them, they're failures, and I am not. They're going to die alone, and I am not.

by Adorable-Ball 1 week ago

While I get that everyone has their struggles, in the end of the day it's how we choose to grow and continue learning that will ultimately determine where we go in life.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Gigachad mental

by Fine_Perception 1 week ago

Hey… good for you for seriously.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I mean is that unpopular? That's just the basic "product of your environment" philosophy.

by teagan74 1 week ago

I disagree and I'm walking proof of that. According to you, I shouldn't be where I'm at, have what I have or know what I know because of my parents. My parents are poor, but comparing where they were in life at my age and mine, I've far exceeded that. I don't see any limitations either, I can still go further it's just a matter of time and moves I need to make.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I feel this in a different way. I have worked very hard to be where I am. Most of my co-workers and friends grew up with money and had families. So they will be talking about going to the lake house on holiday to see their families and stuff. It is very awkward because even with me being where they are in life I feel like if I have to share anything about my parents they will think "she still cannot be in a good place" or "she is a time bomb" or "she can never fit in with us". I have even heard the guys at my work say they won't date girls if they have bad parents no realizing I had bad parents.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I mean I definitely agree with you. People who have well functioning loving parents are going to be given a better shot at life than kids who are neglected in most cases. Probably going to be given more attention, taught how to be more emotionally mature, have more opportunities, and just be more well adjusted growing up and entering adulthood. But there are so many outliers. So many people come from abusive homes and become wildly successful and change the cycle from their parents. But your core opinion that you're limited by your parents seems pretty common to me, I'm not sure it's too unpopular, loving caring parents are a blessing for their children.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

This isn't necessarily true. I remember reading a study recently that your friends and people outside your family have a greater impact on who you become as an adult than your parents. There are even 400 or so psychological and emotional traits that are biologically determined, so they are expressed no matter who your parents or what your circumstances were growing up.

by Allan52 1 week ago

Try taking responsibility! "I can't be successful because ____" is so cope

by Fantastic_Budget9992 1 week ago

It's also determined by your parents genetics as well.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I guess that means I'm going to develop paranoid schizophrenia and die young. Bright future here I come!

by Rahulsmith 1 week ago

Unfortunately that is genetic, stay away from drugs, they don't help the risk

by zwiza 1 week ago

It's true I grew up with older parents and the way they raised me and how strict they were isolated me honestly wondered if they did it so when they get old I'm more inclined to take care of them Because I have no one else

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Some of us catch on early enough that we make it a life mission to undo the programming from their parents and walk opposite paths. Yet we keep finding ourselves back on those roads time and time again, and have to remind ourselves how any why we kept things at arms length.

by Vchristiansen 1 week ago

Your potential is not "limited" by who your parents are, but rather, you start your young adult life with what you are given. Whatever you don't have can be acquired later in life. Parents provide the floor, not the ceiling.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Emotionally, it's very likely

by hagenesjasper 1 week ago

not really unpopular at all. Having or not having a good parental figure has massive impacts on ones life and view of the world.

by RoutineStudio 1 week ago

That has not been the case with my family. Yes parents can influence who you are but it doesn't have to be a limit. My parents could not be more the opposite of myself. I sometimes wonder how I was raised by them. I also got lucky on my life partner who balances me out and supports me where my parents couldn't. As an adult I can also choose my own "family". I do think those with wealthy, respected and high status parents do have an advantage but having an advantage doesn't put a limit on me.

by Rhand 1 week ago

I guess if you don't go out and get life experience and exist around others. Growing up I learned about life and the world from my parents, my friends parents, extended family, family friends and neighbors, coworkers, etc. This makes no sense unless you're 12.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I've worked with a lot of very successful people and most of them come from humble beginnings and when they talk about their families and parents it's often very sad and lacking Somehow they are resilient, hard-charging and take risks. Accepting failures along the way and learning from mistakes while still taking risks seems key

by Kautzercaroline 1 week ago

Having this mentality is extremely limiting. Believing that there is a fundamental aspect of your life you can't change, due to factors outside of your control, is a recipe for failure because you'll always say "well, I'm not good enough because of my parents". This is the mentality of a failure, not a winner. Start taking accountability for everything you can control, which is almost everything. That is what matters.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Ya, your parents are a huge factor in who you are. But you also have free will to develop yourself. An aware, hardworking individual with a growth mindset can overcome shortcomings. It won't be easy, but to blame your parents for everything is a cowardly way to reduce your own responsibility

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It definitely counts if u have a father in the home with connections and or good influence...Who can teach you how to work for your money. And a mother who is nurturing and there for you. But genetics also play a role in ur outcome.

by TurbulentSandwich304 1 week ago

Where you are born and who you're born to defines your life more than anything else. My dad is one of five children and all four of his siblings have pretty much are in the same socioeconomic status. My dad did better than his siblings. And I'm going better than my cousins.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

To piggyback on it, no matter how high you reach in terms of money, respect, and status, you can't get the girl you want with those. You are not better than someone who doesn't have those and get the girl

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Can't say I agree here. If you mean you're limited by your experiences, maybe, but that can also change.

by Large-Salary3319 1 week ago

That's a doomer mindset if I've ever seen one. your blind spots are going to be defined by your parents Um, no.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I agree to an extent. My parents encouraged me to pursue a career so I would never be completely financially independent on anyone else. Dad taught me how to change a tire and stuff so I would be independent. There was some early childhood abuse that I still do therapy for but things changed a lot in my late childhood. All my siblings have been very productive citizens too. I don't blame my parents for my adult behavior. At some point you have to take responsibility for your own actions.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I'm sure your parents are the only reason you're not successful, and everybody more successful than you had better parents

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Kinda agree, but I also don't. I ran away at 18 because I got abused and are currently supporting myself through college. My future actually looks pretty bright (in my opinion). Ofcourse I faced many set backs due to my past, but if I oept being upset about instead of deciding to try to make life worth it I simply would be getting no where. I do belief that you can have a bad start in life and still become succesfull, and I do think that there are many people who turned their life's around for the better despite having a bad start in life. Ofcourse not everyone gets out of the cycle, but I don't think it is inpossible

by xcasper 1 week ago

Only if you as an individual make those same mistakes.

by Isobel30 1 week ago

Only if you let them.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

They influence sure.

by hoegerezra 1 week ago

I get the spirit of what you're saying but its like saying you'll always be limited by reality

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Obviously, everyone is affected by their upbringing, and it does affect who you are. But if you desire there's no reason you can't move past that almost entirely.

by vgottlieb 1 week ago

I dont understand what you mean by blind spots? And if I try to follow along, why does the parent (whoever they maybe) have to be "limiting". Can not the opposite happen (i.e affluent parent can provide resources others can not)? Not saying that always will be case. But I dont get the unpopular opinion here? Perhaps misreading?

by Hermannhillary 1 week ago

Do you mean "hang ups", "faults", "bad traits"?

by Hermannhillary 1 week ago

Orphans have the 6 eyes apparently

by Professional_Debt 1 week ago

Don't agree. We all grow up and have different experiences/perceptions.

by drunolfsson 1 week ago

How so? I live over a thousand miles away from them. My husband and I are each others family now and we give each other what we never had from our own parents. But, I thank you for an actually unpopular opinion. At least to me.

by Level_Wash 1 week ago

i see youve discovered sociology

by Anonymous 1 week ago

At first I was like no way but then I realized my parents don't own a country so I'll never be a queen of the land! Unpopular but true

by zwiza 1 week ago

So you are an educated adult whose parents still have that much influence?? No, no way. Do you still live in their home? 🤔

by macejkovicelise 1 week ago

My poor kids...

by Standard_Kick 1 week ago

It's more than that. You are literally handicapped at birth in money. Huge percentage of your future is decided by the place you were born, too. But I kinda melt them in my mind

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I don't know man my dad grew up Southside Philly and I'm a lady sooo your mileage may vary

by lelia21 1 week ago

Not absolute, but the correlation is strong.

by devante69 1 week ago

Nope, not true. Some of the most successful people in the world had horrible parents. 1 example being Elon Musk. Bro got bullied and beaten up in school, and his dad got mad at him and bullied him for being bullied and beaten up.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

This isn't unpopular it's just a stupid take.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I mean yeah, aside from that not being remotely true. Maybe if we still lived in a true monarchy where royal blood mattered more than spectacle

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Not very profound. I mean you can generalize it to: no matter how high you reach in life, if you had it easier in one aspect, you probably would have reached higher. If you just mean that we don‘t apprechiate our parents enough (if they are good parents) then I fully agree. Much of our values etc come from our parents.

by Lbartell 1 week ago

Careful, you keep going and you're going to find out free will doesn't exist.

by MountainNo 1 week ago

Who were the parents of Abraham Lincoln?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

What about Jeff Bezos?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Abercrombie literally never mentions Yoru Sulfur's parents

by vsanford 1 week ago

So because I had to imagine what my dad was like, that means that I am only limited by my imagination in terms of my future financial success?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Honestly there are times that I wish I could have been born in a different family.

by Plenty_Invite 1 week ago

You'll grow out of this

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I agree. I'm 29 years old and my mom blows my phone up asking where I am if I'm not home at 9pm

by alanakoelpin 1 week ago

WTF are you talking about? limitations are mostly set by ourselves

by Anonymous 1 week ago

"No matter how high you reach, you will always be limited." What does that even mean? What's a concrete example?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It will affect you, but after a certain point it becomes irrelevant

by EnvironmentalQuit 1 week ago

Op discovered privilege.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

My wonderful fiancee is proof this is just incorrect, and I am so proud of her for it.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Yeah at some point you have to just be the good parent

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Not all opnions need to be spoken out loud even unpopular ones..

by Ok_Log2389 1 week ago

Yes, but also no.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

We are limited by a lot of different things that condition our experiences in life which includes our environment and other people besides our parents. We cannot bypass the interconnected nature of all life. In truth, our freewill exists within a narrow pool that our conditioning and life circumstances has afforded us. Nobody has anything close to total free will. That's the nature of this life.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Definitely not true, in fact I have think you pulled this directly out of your ass.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It sure does. Look at the ACES theory.

by AncientBox5766 1 week ago

Ifl

by Anonymous 1 week ago

There is a saying that you are the average of the five people who you hang out with the most. When you grow up, two of those people are your parents. They shape your attitude in life as we your opinion on many things (good or bad).

by Nearby-Grab-6032 1 week ago

Indeed but this isn't an unpopular opinion

by Timothymarquard 1 week ago

Ronald Reagan's kids did alright.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Or not limited

by Smithpresley 1 week ago

I disagree. I think that no matter who your parents are, it can't limit the heights you can reach in terms of money, respect, or status.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

What does ‘limited by parents' mean? It's easy to find examples of high achieving people whose parents weren't- John Lennon and Stephen King come easily to mind for me. Or do you just mean that your parents determine the hand you're dealt? That's true to a point but sometimes ( not always!) life offers you a chance to pick up another card.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

My ex became a physician and we moved to Boulder, CO. Her parents are uneducated bigots who love Trump. Because she shares such deep values with them, her white trash views come out when she's drunk. She can never quite graduate into high quality society no matter the amount of money she makes

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Your trajectory will be heavily influenced but there are more than a couple successful people who came from impoverished, broken homes.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Leave home and learn from others, seek advice. Problem solved

by Anonymous 1 week ago

My parents were homeless drug addicts. I retired at 38. You're only limited by your choices.

by Old-Conclusion 1 week ago

I feel like most people realize at one point or another in their lives that their parents are human. It probably just happens at different times for different people.

by Consistent_Sock 1 week ago

...what? Bro if become a billionaire how tf would who my parents are affect me?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

The problem is you think this is true so it will be true. The people who don't live by this ideology are the ones who make it big. Your parents play a major role in development but every life is its own, and you can be the same or very different than those who come before or after you.

by Hodkiewiczsierr 1 week ago

Absolutely disagree

by Buckridgearthur 1 week ago

You'll always be limited by the fact you'll die of old age if not anything else

by Boscolew 1 week ago

Yeah but also you will be more successful than people who had a perfect family life and were given everything by their parents. I used to be really intimidated by rich perfect kids but I'm proud of making my own way even all the times I've fallen because I make myself come back stronger instead of giving up

by Randileuschke 1 week ago

Some people have no parents and turned out better than most.

by Sad_Literature 1 week ago

Fun fact, OP hasn't watched Naruto, specifically Neji's arc.

by Adventurous-Piano304 1 week ago

It's worse than that. There is solid evidence to prove that your success in life is genetically pre-determinded to at least 50%. And I'm not talking about IQ or physical health.

by Successful-War-925 1 week ago

I was raised by me. So the only limits I have, are my own.

by Kayden53 1 week ago

How is this an unpopular opinion?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

This is one of the dumber things I've read recently. Do you know any actual people? In real life?

by Carolanneheathc 1 week ago

Well my parents are amazing people and I'm proud to be like them.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Yep. I was "raised" by a neglectful single mother, that have me bad genes too. Never met my father. My life is a disaster.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

No, it's really how good you speak and how good you look if you have any issue with any of those two then yeah you are all out of luck. A rich parent having an ugly and dumb-talking kid would be the same as a poor person.

by Independent_Yard_942 1 week ago

Plenty of horrendous people come from wealthy families

by Anonymous 1 week ago

So um…what if you had no parents at all? What if someone is an orphan?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Simple, choose better parents. Duh.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Could be born with Downs. Could be stillborn. Parents have one job: create us. Rest is on us, and all of us have challenges.

by Special_Sandwich 1 week ago

No, not really. Reaching those heights means you already scored and/or maximized the genetic potential thing. And for old-school bloodline thinking, who the hell cares? Like, does that even factor in anymore? At least in my American-ass life of half a century, I haven't seen it. The high-achieving descendants of immigrants have all married into the old-school Boston Brahmin families, etc.

by Gardnerhalvorso 1 week ago

I mean, maybe just don't be defined by how you were raised

by Sandra96 1 week ago