-28 Hospitals should be "1st Come, 1st Serve". amirite?

by Popular_Anxiety779 1 week ago

That's how triage works my dude. The issue here is, you don't realize that there isn't just "High Emergency, Low Emergency". A cut needing stitches is actually less of a priority than a broken bone, which needs to be xrayed to determine the extent of the damage. You may not understand why they're different and why a broken bone will get a higher priority than a cut, but the medical staff making the decisions do. They don't always do it right, and really busy places end up leaving people waiting longer than they should, but there is an overall method to what you may see as madness. The real issue here? You went to the ER instead of urgent care.

by luettgenelyse 1 week ago

Exactly. These people complain about the wait time when they are the cause of the wait time.. Your kid's stitches are not an emergency.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Generally, I agree with you, but it's not always done by triage. I took my mother to urgent care when her doctor said to do that, as she was having agonizing stomach pain. (He called ahead to say take us immediately.) Mom was a trouper, but her face was gray, and she couldn't help moaning. We waited. And waited. I kept going to the desk and saying, "Please. My mother is in such pain." Then a 14-year-old girl came in crying and screaming. She had a 2" burn blister on her palm--not huge and definitely not life-threatening. A doctor came out and said, "Who's making all that noise?" A clerk gestured toward the teen. "Well, get her back here so she shuts up." So she got to go first. My mother's pain turned out to be appendicitis. It ruptured during our long wait. She survived but had to have a much longer surgery and hospital stay, and a long recovery.

by UnableAssumption1971 1 week ago

A cut needing stitches can be done at an urgent care instead of an Emergency Room, it's very important to understand what can and should be done at an urgent care to reduce hospital wait times. You are in fact in the wrong here

by Tylerhoppe 1 week ago

I wish people understood when to go to urgent care over the ER. There's so many cases clogging up the ER that could easily go to urgent care, or even primary care.

by Claudie90 1 week ago

So... it should be first come first serve except in all the infinite scenarios where it shouldn't be. Got it.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

You know exactly what I mean. If you could die, go first. If you're good, take a deli number.

by Popular_Anxiety779 1 week ago

So kind of like it is now.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

lol ‘HOSPITALS SHOULD TRIAGE!!!' immediately upset that a cut is not severe enough to warrant front of the line 😂

by Utromp 1 week ago

And for the record (fracture > stitches) every day. They consider pain, inflammatory risks, vascular concerns. All a potential risk for the fracture. None a concern for your kids lil paper cut.

by Utromp 1 week ago

Umm, it's called triage and unless you're a medical professional, you're not qualified to determine severity of injury. Triage is how the pros determine order of care. The pros can tell that your scenario isn't life threatening. Bleeding doesn't imply emergency. Clearly no arteries on your kid have been injured, therefore, not an emergency. A broken bone, on the other hand, much more complicated with potential for more severe complications (like bone fragments in the system, cut arteries or veins). Get over yourself! You sound whiny and entitled.

by Adell35 1 week ago

If I need a few stitches I would not want to go in front of someone with a broke limb who is probably in much worse pain. Also the term "zero chance of death" is very vague and applies to basically nothing

by Pearlbayer 1 week ago

If I need a few stitches I would not want to go in front of someone with a broke limb who is probably in much worse pain. I think most adults would have similar thinking, but op's child might not be old enough to understand that.

by Sea-Public 1 week ago

I agree, at the end of the day there can be a lot of factors. Things should be taken case by case. Also I know not all kids are the same but me and my sibling have had stitches multiple times as kids, and most of the time for a wound that needs small amount stitches you just wrap it up good and the kid will be fine for a while.

by Pearlbayer 1 week ago

A broken wrist is much more serious and warrants a higher priority than a relatively minor cut.

by Brilliant-Reach 1 week ago

Congratulations, you just described how hospitals work

by SameMaintenance 1 week ago

"I have no medical knowledge whatsoever, but I should be deciding hospital policy" Is this really how you think cause if it is I worry for your child.

by Ok_Fill 1 week ago

Go to an urgent care. Kids actively dying are way more important than your kid.

by Jastrosalind 1 week ago

A broken wrist actually is more severe than a cut, sorry. Really the issue here is that you're having a bad day brought on by the disease of parenthood. I get it, I've got two of my own and my son is an absolute horror show. Tomorrow will be better!

by ikemmer 1 week ago

What if I have an erection that's lasted 3 1/2 hours?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

You don't wanna know.

by PristineGur474 1 week ago

You've got half an hour left to beat the devil out of it.

by BagEmotional 1 week ago

Someone bring this man a nurse, stat!

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I agree for the most part. Children have less pain tolerance and are more emotionally affected by injury. So I think age should have something to do with waiting time, but other than that, if it is not life-threatening you should wait in order.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Hospitals should be "1st Come, 1st Serve". It should be a 1st come, 1st serve hybrid. I suggest you look up what triage means. What you're demanding is what ERs already do. What I mean is ANYTHING that is potentially fatal cuts the line, BUT anything that is a zero risk of dying goes in order. Do you think a gunshot wound or a stabbing victim gets ignored for someone with a small cut from a kitchen knife? I'm currently sitting in a children's hospital ER for the 7th hour. My kid cut his arm and will need about 5-6 stitches. Hours ago a nurse put on a different bandage and we wait and wait. Two hours ago a teenager came in with a broken wrist, he was called in after 45 mins and he and his Mom just left. WTF is that?!?! Since when is a broken wrist so much more of a severity than an open clotted gash on an arm. The broken wrist needs to be X-rayed, set and out in a cast. Urgent care can't do that. Your kid needs stitches which is something urgent care can do. Why you chose the ER over urgent care is the reason so many ERs have to deal with non-emergencies.

by Claudie90 1 week ago

You mean, like…triage??? 🤔

by Anonymous 1 week ago

What I mean is ANYTHING that is potentially fatal cuts the line, BUT anything that is a zero risk of dying goes in order. so literally not first come first serve, nice bait title though

by Fluid-Inspection777 1 week ago

Yeah, I don't think you know what the current policy is now. In fact, you've outed yourself as not knowing what it is.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Because breaks can have severe complications if they are not treated in an adequate amount of time. Who are you to determine this was not a bad break? You're not a medical professional. There is a system behind who gets treated first for a reason. Just because it doesn't make sense to you, doesn't mean there is no sense in it.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

No. Just because it isn't life threatening doesn't mean it requires the same level of urgency. A broken bone that isn't set properly won't heal correctly. If your son doesn't get his stitches quickly… he'll just need another bandaid.

by Anonymous 1 week ago