+31 Professional Athletes are overpaid and I'm tired of hearing them complain about adequate pay constantly, amirite?

by Neat-Personality1988 1 week ago

They play for teams that make billions. I'm sure if they could get away with paying their employees less they would, but then another team would offer more money.

by upadberg 1 week ago

This is the correct reply. OP should focus less on the players and more on the owners of the teams. Look at how much they make. How do they make it? Because the players provide entertainment that ordinary folks pay for. So they should get paid for it.

by patrick91 1 week ago

Or maybe they could all make less (but still millions) and lower prices so it's $50 to get into a game instead of $150+, and I can buy a hot dog for $3 instead of $12 and a t shirt could be $30 instead of $70?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Why would they do that when people are willing to pay all of those prices?

by patrick91 1 week ago

Tell that to the coyotes šŸ˜‚

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Correct. The secondary ticket market is a big thing mostly because tickets are underpriced relative to their demand. It sucks because a lot of people get priced out, but they STILL get priced out with middlemen reselling.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Why would a business owner lower prices when people are clearly willing to pay the current prices?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Here's the thing though, they could still sell things at lower prices even with athletes making as much as they currently do, but they're going to charge you for more because they can and they want more profit! Like they're not selling at the prices they do "just to break even" they're selling it because they know that people at games are a captive market and that they can get away with charging that much. Paying the athletes less would not make concessions or tickets any cheaper.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I support this, $15 beers are painful

by Anonymous 1 week ago

They used to charge less for beer. It... did not go well.

by Gkuhn 1 week ago

There's literally no reason do that

by ricelaura 1 week ago

and our tax dollars build these stadiums for them. how nice of us!

by steuberbella 1 week ago

Tax dollars for stadiums and arenas is one of the biggest scams perpetrated on the public. For various reasons politicians buy into this.

by patrick91 1 week ago

And those are high skilled athletes. Millions of people around the world play these sports recreationally for r for school etc. but only a very small percentage get to play professional and even less get those huge contracts. But teams can pay for their own goddamn stadiums.

by Legrosbrianne 1 week ago

And by the end their bodies are often broken and more tragically sometimes their brains

by Anonymous 1 week ago

True, but to be honest, that's their choice. Nobody forced them to choose sports as a career. Coal miners risk lung diseases, computer programmers risk carpal tunnel syndrome, American football players risk TBI , truck drivers risk weight related problems. When you choose your career the risks are part of the equation.

by Few-Rabbit 1 week ago

Especially the stadiums

by Anonymous 1 week ago

What role do you think the athletes have in the building of stadiums, or the funding of them? They'll play in whatever stadium they're told to for the salary they can command (as would anybody in any other job). Pay them less if you want, but watch them go elsewhere, if elsewhere is offering what they want. And be prepared for your local team(s) to absolutely suck. If you don't like the way your government is spending money, that's an issue you should take up with your local, elected representatives, not the players.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Then blame the people who pay to go see the games.

by upadberg 1 week ago

They, along with every job ever everywhere, will pay the least amount of money they can for the thing they want.

by FaithlessnessTop 1 week ago

in some ways they already do this. salary caps theoretically make it all "fair" but also let them pay some players less because they have run out of budget.

by rempeltoney 1 week ago

the women's teams? (I don't think I've seen men complain about pay)

by Designer-Raccoon 1 week ago

But that would require OP to consider more than their feelings on a "hobby" rather than the financial facts of the business it actually is.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

This doesn't necessarily describe OP. Just regular discourse. Players: I want the owners to pay me more. Regular people: shut up you make enough. Owners: I want half a billion from your municipality. Regular people: hmmm Im listening.

by Dayna95 1 week ago

It largely describes OP. Players: "I generate a ton of revenue, I deserve a ton of money." Team Owners: "No, I want to keep the money." Fans (for some reason): "I don't get paid anywhere near the value of the revenue my work generates, players shouldnt either."

by Uniquegottlieb 1 week ago

That's my surplus value, I don't know you!

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Right and that all boils down to projecting their own economic problems onto the athletes making money

by Anonymous 1 week ago

except the city of oakland, california

by That_Ad 1 week ago

Professional sports players only make so much because sport is that popular.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Also plenty of professional athletes don't make much at all.

by Even-Menu-2451 1 week ago

Exactly, best way to show the difference to people who say otherwise is to compare it to the abysmal conditions of MMA. Heavyweight champs are still working their firefighter jobs or whatever because the pay is awful unless you were Connor or Ronda.

by Bergnaumterrenc 1 week ago

The point your missing is the union is the only reason the players are allowed to switch teams. Before unions won free agency players were owned by their first team forever unless the team sold their rights. You were forced to accept your teams offer, or you could retire. You weren't allowed to sell your services to the highest bidder. The union is a absolutely the main reason the super stars can make the huge money they do.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

No, in the NBA you'd actually see guys like Giannis and Jokic make significantly more money as there wouldn't be a max contract anymore. Why wouldn't there be a max contract? The owners want to keep costs down lol

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Then why is it that NFL and NBA players take around 50% of league profits and UFC fighters take 10%?

by West-Confusion 1 week ago

read it as "un-ionized" and was confused why we were bringing particles into this

by Pretend-Leg-8231 1 week ago

Well, they do lose a lot of electrolytes when they sweat.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

They need Brawndo

by Anonymous 1 week ago

From what I can tell, the mean NFL salary is quite a bit higher, but that's skewed by some really rich contracts. The median NFL salary is $860,000. That's just over half of the $1.5 million you're guessing. The average career length is about three years. So most players who crack an NFL roster are by no means set for life without very careful financial planning and frugal living. Most would have to continue with some kind of work (even if it didn't pay a ton).

by Jacobsarvel 1 week ago

And if the sport isn't as popular they don't make as much. Look at the WNBA. The number 1 overall draft pick makes 70k a year. That's the pinnacle of their sport and you could make more with most 4 year degrees

by Anonymous 1 week ago

We need to popularize using excel. I need a raise.

by ReputationHeavy 1 week ago

Where do you think all the money generated from the sales of tickets, merchandise, advertisement, etc. should go then? The real point you should be trying to make is, "why do we spend so much money on watching and appreciating sports?"

by Anonymous 1 week ago

That question is equally stupid. People have been paying for sports for forever

by Anonymous 1 week ago

You're looking at it wrong. They're entertainers, the same as actors and comedians. They're not paid by how necessary they are for society (such as policemen, garbage men, etc.), but for how much disposable income the general public decides to spend for their entertainment. As it happens, people love sports so they spend a ton of cash on it. The problem athletes have is that there are too many middlemen taking the revenue that they generated. For instance, we lose 1/3rd (or however much) of our paychecks to taxes, insurance, etc. None of us LIKE that, but we generally understand that we're getting something of value in return. They're losing x% of their paychecks (percentage of revenue they generated with their skill and hard work) not to simply pay dues to society, but to have the privilege to keep generating money for the billionaire owners. I'm not looking at numbers so I have no opinions about how right they are, but I think framing it this way makes more sense than comparing athletes to non-entertainment-based salary discussions.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Almost no one is paid for how necessary they are to society. Virtually every job is compensated based on supply and demand of their skills. Professional athletes are no different than other unionized jobs. The demand for basketball players people want to watch far exceeds the collective supply.

by Johanna84 1 week ago

People are paid by how replaceable they are.

by Any_Round7012 1 week ago

Everyone knows this. The point is that it's a broken system.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It comes with the risk of horrendous injuries as well

by Anonymous 1 week ago

If the suits are making bank. The players should too

by Lheaney 1 week ago

the best way to say it the people doing the physical training should benefit from it people often forget that sports are not only the game it's the training media work and how much control they have over their lives once u are under a contract

by wmarks 1 week ago

That's a problem with like... everything, unfortunately. The people actually doing the thing aren't making the most money. It's pretty dumb.

by HugeProtection3333 1 week ago

People talking about what they don't know about is also a problem All the big men's leagues have unions and the ones that have salary caps are usually collectively bargained so that it's split 50/50 between players and management

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Honestly more fields of work should be compensated like professional athletes. It's one of the few true vocational meritocracies, where people actually get paid for the value they generate.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

That's with any company thenā€¦if the ceo of Apple makes bank then so should the lower workersā€¦but unfortunately that's not how it worksā€¦

by Anonymous 1 week ago

and they all should complain

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Another basic fact: MOST of professional athletes are barely making money. If you are specifically thinking of football or basketball, name it, because it is clearly an exception among all sports

by Anonymous 1 week ago

To add onto that point, OP would likely never be as good at what they do as Lebron is at playing basketball

by Anonymous 1 week ago

lol there's literally studies about the economic impact LeBron had on Cleveland it's wild how valuable he is to a local economy

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I will add that they are brutal on their bodies and only have so many years of consistency. So this might be all the money they make unless they make a big name for themselves and can get some of the other very limited amount of jobs in this field or advertising if they are real big. Then imagine first year they tear their ACL and can't play anymore... That's it whatever they have been paid to this point and what's left of the contract and haven't built enough fame to do anything else with it. I'm not certain but even getting a normal job is unlikely.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I would only make one slight amendment: You have a value of your skills, you bring them to a company, they pay you based on what they deem you to be worth. I'd say that they pay you what they have to pay you in order to purchase those skills in the free market. The company may think it's highway robbery that they have to pay so much for LeBron James -- but if they don't, and someone else will, then...

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Not only do they employ thousands of people, but they bring lots of people to the city. I used to live in Manchester, the city would be full of people when there was a match on, they all eat, shop, may of them stay the night in the city, it's a huge influx of money to the local community.

by Codygusikowski 1 week ago

You hear MMA fighters constantly argue they get paid very little when they are given Ā£10,000 to work for 15 minutes, Its not working for 15 minutes. Its working full time and you only 15 minutes of it. It also has a huge physical cost. And it generates millions of dollar but they miss out on it becuase mma is largely a monoply. People are basing it on how much they generate. And they are being screwd over.

by Opposite-Increase283 1 week ago

This isn't an unpopular opinion but it is a very stupid one.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Definitely an unpopular opinion amongst WNBA players.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

No one watches WNBA. Except probably you. That's why they don't get paid.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Ppl are starting to

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Nerds always mad about this. "It's a kids game!" Then they go give money to millionaires playing Fortnite on Twitch lol.

by Chemical-Trouble3228 1 week ago

Fun fact: only about 18 percent of UFC's revenue goes to the fighters. The other 82 percent goes to the owner.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It's a safe bet OP has zero experience in any sport at a level above middle school (and even that is probably questionable.)

by Low_Wrongdoer8346 1 week ago

They shouldn't be complaining, yeah. But if they were truly paid as much as the average Joe, all of the entertainment profits will just go to the guys in suits running the show. I'd rather have the people making the entertainment possible getting the lion's share of that profit. And i know you debunked this but being a professional athlete is a 24/7/365 commitment. Even if you aren't playing. Nutrition, practice, and staying in shape to compete at the highest level takes a lot of dedication and focus. It really is a lot of work.

by wkreiger 1 week ago

what is essentially a hobby You've lost any credibility there. The amount of work professional athletes put into their 'hobby' is incredible.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I agree with you, and actually I'll go one step further. Since you're the center of the universe and only you get to decide what's "important", you should be able to determine everyone's salary, since you clearly understand everybody's jobs and what it takes to perform them

by Bobby30 1 week ago

So the billionaire owners making those billions on the backs of the athletes should just be able to keep all of that money?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

OP seems to be defending Dana White underpaying his fighters, so they probably do think that.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I agree in theory, but get paid proportionally to the revenue they generate. More so, they have limited careers, depending on the sport it may be very short. Not to mention one career ending injury and it's over. We also know that a lot of athletes aren't exactly scholars, so most definitely could use that money because they are probably destined to be a high school assistant coach after their career is over.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

These people put butts in the seats and people pay for those seats. Market Value. Get it

by Anonymous 1 week ago

They earn that much because they generate far more than that. If they were paid less, the owner would be paid more.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

they only complain about pay because their bosses make exponentially more money than them, despite them being the reason why people watch the sport. basically, the employees think the ceo makes a disproportionate amount of money when you compare the actual work and skills employed in the field.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

They create wealth. In theory they are actually still underpaid.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

OP is cool with billionaire owners pocketing all the profits

by iswift 1 week ago

Who then should get the billions that the owners take in? I'd rather the players get huge salaries than the owners raking it in.

by Wittingkennith 1 week ago

It's funny how you never hear this argument about musicians, actors, comedians, or other artists/entertainers. Why not? The revenue streams are similar, getting paid primarily by shares of the revenue from the tickets they sell to events and merchandise that is sold. And the argument people make about "playing a kids game" for money can be applied just as much, if not more, to acting, playing music, telling jokes, painting & drawing. Why is it that athletes are the only entertainers ones questioned for the money they make? They bring joy and entertainment to the people who consume their product. And they are paid accordingly. Given what the owners of sports teams often make, you might argue that they are some of the most underpaid workers out there, relative to the revenue they bring in.

by Maddison01 1 week ago

Suppose you're playing in front of 20,000 fans who paid an average of $100 a ticket. That's 2 million in revenue for one game. Throw in television rights, endorsements... that's a lot of money and the athletes should get a fair cut.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Yup and you should see what they pay Twitch Gamer streamers with big audiences, they all get paid more than your doctors who deserve that money and teachers. just sayin

by Ollie04 1 week ago

Only in popular sports though. My buddy was world champion at rope skipping. He didn't win enough money to pay for the flights to the tournament and back...

by Anonymous 1 week ago

well for one, they are insanely physically gifted, two they generate billions of dollars over the course of a season, and 3 they earned it

by Jamey99 1 week ago

People take their jobs seriously for way less money than athletes. At their level, it's a $x million dollar a year job, not a game or hobby

by Anonymous 1 week ago

The comparison to things like nurses and teachers makes no sense as one is providing a public service paid from public money, the other works for a private company that brings in BILLIONS of dollars Also considering the time, dedication and training they have to put in, and everything they put their bodies through for YEARS, I say they earn every dollar

by Bubbly-Highway 1 week ago

it isn't really about the amount of money...it is the fact they still work for somebody. if you had $100 million bucks it would be a lot of money. if you might possibly earn $100 million bucks but you had to uproot your life because a billionaire "owned" you, you might feel underpaid too.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Alternative hot take: any person doing any job has a right to complain and ask for whatever they can get. If athletes are successfully campaigning for and getting better incomes, maybe your takeaway should be that nurses and teachers and bin men should do that too. And you should support them in that.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

so if you pay players lessā€¦owners make more! athletes aren't employees, athletes are the product! tell me that last time you watched scrubs play an NFL game?

by carroll49 1 week ago

In the US, at least, a lot of these players wreck their bodies in the span of 5-10 years. They're trading in years off their lives and health for corporations that make billions, and it's only the smallest fraction of them who see any real financial gain. Minor league baseball players aspiring to the majors actually make under minimum wage.

by Maximilian86 1 week ago

My pet peeve is when people trivialize professional athletes to "getting paid to play a hobby/game." Almost everything in the world that someone does for fun, someone else does for a living. Fishing relaxes you? That's a career. You like to cook? Also a career. You like playing video games? Drawing? Singing? Career. Career. Career. They get paid a lot because their industry makes a lot and no one else can do it as good as they can.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

They are worth what they generate, any less is their surplus labor being exploited. I would say team managers, shareholders, etc are overpaid by your same logic

by Elegant_Treacle 1 week ago

The public is way more responsible for this than the leagues or the owners, why, simply because we put engage in it. We buy the tickets, we buy the merch, we watch the games and help them generate their ad revenue. We essentially make these billion dollar companies and thusly allow them to pay these athletes the money they make. Now I agree that pro's should be well paid, most of them have dedicated their lives, working living breathing their sport and engaging in years of training to get to that level. I do agree with OP though, way overpaid. My take is simply the fact that I don't participate and don't contribute my money to this cycle.

by macejkovictommi 1 week ago

Clear lack of understanding of why and how non essential services/fields can make tons of money. The business of their sport rests on their performance as the best, the teams sells hundreds of millions in merch annually their ticket sales are in the millions to billions and the rights to air said events generate comparable revenue as well. The business of sports wouldn't work and generate this kind of money without the athletes and what they bring to the table so not only is it fair for them to make millions on millions considering their contribution is the primary factor for the business to make billions but it's also fair for them to demand more considering their position. This "opinion" isn't really an opinion it's a complete lack of understanding on a matter being treated as opinion instead of the factual matter it is.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

They are the ones generating billions of dollarsā€¦ regardless of if you respect them, you have to really be thick not to understand that.

by hesselviva 1 week ago

Yea this is a real crybaby opinion

by Critical_Respect 1 week ago

While it would be cool for nurses and teachers to make a lot more money, 60,000 people don't pay $100 plus to come watch them do their job. Networks aren't playing billions of dollars to show them do their job on TV every weekend. Also, there's millions of people that can do those jobs, or be trained to do them. Pro athletes on the other hand? There's only 32 starting quarterbacks in the NFL likely not even 500 people on earth thst have the work ethic, skills and knowledge to even get a 3rd string QB job in the NFL....

by Anonymous 1 week ago

They earn generational money because their skillset are in the 99th percentile of a very lucrative industry. That said, for every Mike Trout or Erling Haaland, you have a minor league baseball player earning below minimum or a football player who has three cheques bounced because his club can't pay the players. The disparity in professional sports is far more extreme than any other profession out there.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

They make the owners a lot of money. They have every right to ask for what they're worth

by Jack57 1 week ago

OP doesn't understand supply and demand yet. We don't live in a world that rewards effort or even usefulness to society. We live in a world where everything is priced depending on the market. Athletes get paid a lot because there is almost infinite demand for Lionel Messi and it's quite hard to supply more Liones Messis. He in particular I am sure has not been getting paid enough, that guy alone has generated billions in revenue and profits.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I agree in general But the money is there If it doesn't go to the player It stays with the owner You're worth whatever someone is willing to pay you šŸ¤·

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I wouldn't say MMA fighters only work for 15 minutes. They train for months prior to a fight. Then the promoters make million and millions off people paying to watch them get punched in the face. It's not so much that athletes get "paid to much" as it is that we as society are willing to pay that much to watch them play.

by Fancy_Day4904 1 week ago

Workers wages are all tied to each other. They make peanuts compared to ownership who just sit on their lazy asses all day.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Wait till you hear about how much the owners bitch about everything!

by Severe-Boss-6781 1 week ago

Celebrity derangement syndrome is probably strongest when it comes to sports celebrities. People will excuse any behaviour, any level of greed, and any excess if it's an athlete they like.

by Quigleydonnie 1 week ago

Right in. The entire sports industry is a joke.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

yea i agree

by Jaquelinerolfso 1 week ago

Nah they pay taxes alot and maintain millions and millions of employees in their sports

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Just because you don't like sports doesn't mean you need to be ignorant to what they mean to society and the economy.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

If there were only 32 decent mechanics in the world they would make billions. Supply and demand bub, do you say this same stuff about Artists, musicians, actors, comedians, other entertainers? (I'm sure some people do but it's always athletes that get the brunt of the "overpaid" nonsenseā€¦ do we not understand that there are literally 12 women in the entire world good enough to play point guard in the WNBA? It's a business, good basketball players are few and far between and billionaire owners want to present a good product, how do you convince a 23 year old college graduate to put their body on the line to come play for you instead of going to get a job? You pay them, and you pay them enough to make putting their body in jeopardy and delaying starting a family/ starting their career worthwhile. We don't set wages based on feelings.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Everyone who has this opinion is just advocating for the billionaire owners to have even more billions at the expense of largely minorities who grew up in abject poverty, which is ironic given the fact that everyone with this opinion HATES billionaires.

by MaterialFilm 1 week ago

The ones I hate the most are unfit baseball players. Arguably the best paid athletes in the world, and they can't even hit the goddamned gym in the offseason for that $20mil a year. Get shot.

by wolfmarcellus 1 week ago

If you want to get technical, those players have been developing their skills since they were kids and spend most of their lives on a baseball field. The technical aspects of baseball are much more important than strength or running speed, so fitness levels of the players aren't so much of a factor as seen in other sports. Assuming every high school player wants to be in the league, you're talking about thousands upon thousands of guys that want the exact same thing you do. You have to be better than all of them. The work done off camera is why they get paid the way they do.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I love baseball and I definitely agree about the technical skill. But certain elements of their game will always suffer for the lack of fitness, which is completely avoidable. Their running, fielding and longevity are all hurt by not putting in the extra effort. There are some arguments for certain players retaining the weight, especially amongst pitchers and designated hitters, but I still don't buy most of it.

by wolfmarcellus 1 week ago

That's fair. You'd think as professional athletes, they'd prioritize maximizing their fitness levels.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I love fat baseball players :) Vlad Jr, Mo Vaughn, Prince and Cecil Fielder, David Wells, John Kruk They add a certain something that you don't get in hockey and soccer, and only occasionally in basketball. Baseball is a funny sport in that the act of playing the sport itself doesn't get you in shape.

by Fickle_Tomatillo_671 1 week ago

You don't understand how anything works

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Most of the time when people talk about athletes pay they are thinking in terms of the team's cap, their skill level, position, longevity. They are valued by their value to the organization. If you are talking strictly in terms of is it adequate to live a great life then of course they have way more than they need. I don't think that part is unpopular.

by elisha50 1 week ago

"celebs"

by Anonymous 1 week ago

The money would go to someone who makes even more than the athletes

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Yeah the entire entertainment industry is overly inflated. This is a complete failure of the democratization of resources, driven by the decay of culture. People consume too much and create too little.

by Buckwill 1 week ago

Or actors and actresses. Where do they get off? You're "Adult Pretenders" as Nerdrodic puts it.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

If this is an unpopular opinion, my dad must be a transgender Beyonce

by Secret_Mammoth 1 week ago

While I think is absurd how much professional athletes get paid in the major sports, the fact is we (collective "we", not necessarily me or you personally) spend stupid money on the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. If that money doesn't go to the athletes who produce the product we spend those billions of dollars on every year then it's just going into the pocket of the billionaire owners. It's mostly multi-millionaires arguing with multi-billionaires over money and it's the multi-millionaires who are putting their long term physical and mental health at risk to entertain us. Would you rather they get that money or the billionaires get that money? They get paid for the value they bring to their employer. Given the insane amounts of revenue generated by sports, they are worth what they get paid. If they didn't bring that value then teams wouldn't be willing to spend that amount of money on them.

by Low_Wrongdoer8346 1 week ago

Once people with important jobs like doctors and teachers for example get adequate pay then we can talk about athletes.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Some are overpaid getting paid based on their past production. Some of them are actually underpaid. Mike Trout was the runner-up MVP as a 20-year old rookie and he made slightly less than 500k.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

1,696 active roster players and the almost 600 practice squad players split 48% or $8,172,800,000 or approximately $255.4m per team for 2024 of the NFL yearly revenue as negotiated by the NFLPA. The NFL makes a lot of money from their product which is the players and I am glad that the players get that instead of the owners getting it all. The bigger issue is that the other professions should get more.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

With multi-million bitcoin scams and politicians who we have no idea how they earn their wealth, its nice to have a profession where we could see how they earn their money.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

The moneypool is the same. No matter the player pay. If the players gets less, the team owners gets more. You need to look no further than to School football in USA. They play in billion $ stadiums and generate just as much money as the professional teams, Yet they dont get paid. All that money the players dosnt get, someone else does.

by Ok-Vermicelli 1 week ago

Let me put it this way: How much do you want to be paid for your job to be worth it? How much more do you need if literally millions of people from across the country or world watch you do you job live? Now how much more does that number go up if there's an entire industry dedicated to critiquing exactly how you did that job? And again for the almost certain guarantee that you'll have to retire early and have permanent injuries that impact your day to day life forever Now factor in that your boss and his boss and his boss make guaranteed billions off of you doing your job. Does the number you came up with compare? It should

by Michael52 1 week ago

Fewer that 1% of any sport's athletes make it to a level where they're being paid. About 1% of paid athletes are the ones who make huge money.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

The money they make only exists because of what they do. Obviously, they are overpaid, but to act like it's not for a reason is silly. Guys are making $30ā€“40+ million a year, but the league makes that money because of all the players and especially those superstars that get these insane deals. Take sports away and that money will go somewhere else by default, but not to better causes, just what the rich d-bags decide it goes to, which will be themselves.

by Billyzieme 1 week ago

That's a valid logical viewpoint on how much people deserve to be paid. But there are other viewpoints that are just as valid. In the end it's a matter of philosophy.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

The NFL, NBA, and MLB bring in billions in revenue. If the players are overpaid, then who deserves the money? The owners? Why should they get public money for facilities AND a majority of the revenue?

by StationPrestigious 1 week ago

Wait, nurses are making that little across the pond? Haha, most nurses I know aren't even answering the phone for anything less thag $60-$80k

by westongleason 1 week ago

Every dollar they don't get paid is another dollar in a billionaire's pocket. They're the product, they feel they deserve more of the money and if they don't fight for it, again, it's just going into the owner's pocket.

by Affectionate_Art_929 1 week ago