+27 Being fanatical about a sports team is kind of silly. amirite?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

People need to realize that sport is also entertainment. The same way one can have a favorite actor or a favorite singer, one can also have a favorite athlete or a favorite sports team.

by oreillywebster 1 week ago

Even worse with college sports if you're not affiliated with the college. I live in Alabama. People here go NUTS about Auburn and Alabama football. Yelling at televisions, getting tattoos, getting in fights, and such, and 90% of them don't know anyone that is enrolled or has graduated from either university. They've made it a false idol down here.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It's like religion, it's not a choice made by you. It's thrust upon you by your parents, family and those around you. But unlike religion I can see a sports team, can observe the successes and failures. I don't have to take the word of a book written in the stone age to know they exist.

by Suspicious-Flan-977 1 week ago

I'll see that and raise you that it's annoying and one of the least interesting hobbies if you can call it that. People spend tons of time, money, and effort following their team. But essentially IMO, they are just passively consuming a television series. There are so many more enriching things to spend your life on.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

You might get more interested if this team belongs to the city or to the organised fans club. The team represents a certain political view, or social group. Maybe some players are locals and play for this team their whole life because they aren't interested in moving. I welcome you to the concept of sports outside USA

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It's human nature to want to feel connected to a community

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It's no worse than being fanatical about a book series, video games, or music artists.

by Ok_Jicama2864 1 week ago

God forbid people have fun.

by Farrellrichard 1 week ago

People who have this opinion about sports I just don't get why they don't realize that some people do know it's not life and death but it's alot of fun to have a team that you support and enjoy watching. Fun is a simple concept lol

by Farrellrichard 1 week ago

Supporting the team as an organization doesn't really mean you support every single player. You support the teams success.

by Anonymous 1 week ago