-33 Old people are just as capable of learning as a young person and they should be held to the same standards and expectations. amirite?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

If they dont use it much theyre not going to learn very well, the same is true for younger generations and computers, most young people are considered extremely tech illiterate because they grew up with the simplicity of apps

by karleybrakus 1 week ago

I'll never understand the concept of being annoyed with my own child not knowing how to do something. If they aren't getting it in school, it's my job to teach them. If they don't know, that's on me.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Do you have a child?

by Faykreiger 1 week ago

Come now. At some point people have to take responsibility for their knowledge gaps. It's never been easier to learn something from free courseware or even YouTube. You're not responsible for spoon feeding everything to your children. You should teach them where to look and how to learn on their own.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Yep. Having to learn and relearn how to do some things over and over again can be done, but it's EXHAUSTING. I don't think young people can really understand that.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It's different for different people. By your age you should kinda know that already.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I never said older people couldn't learn more stuff, I said that the OP's attitude is a young person's attitude. Different people age differently. By your age you should be able to parse that out, don't you think?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

How old are you, good sir or madam? It is medically proven that people's brainwaves change as they age. I have to see a neurologist because of epilepsy, and I asked him specifically about this a couple weeks ago. I myself have trouble with memory and learning because of the long-term effects of seizures, but I think my age still has something to do with it.

by giuseppehickle 1 week ago

yes. but no amount of exercising either will keep it the same as a young persons. you cant think your telerons longer

by Fresh-Committee8979 1 week ago

you cant think your telerons longer You mean telomeres? (Teleron would make an awesome transformer that turns into a cell tower)

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Nothing significant changes until maybe your 60s or 70s. If you aren't still as youthful, fit, or energetic in your 30s-50s, that is because you took terrible care of yourself.

by manuel37 1 week ago

a crass overgeneralisation that ignores specifics of research. Our brains become less able to learn at about 25, our wounds start healing slower around 30, there are a whole host of changes that happen before 60-70 and your opinion or feelings on the matter are not relevant

by Fresh-Committee8979 1 week ago

My mum still kept her Chinese accent despite me getting rid of it in about five years or so (from nine to fourteen), so language is definitely dependent on age

by Ok_Resist 1 week ago

Did she have trouble learning other things? :o

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I'm really sorry. That has to be tough

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Thank you for saying that, I appreciate it ❤️ And yes it is really tough…

by penelope25 1 week ago

They're not just as capable, younger people have an advantage, but most of them could learn and just decide that it's not worth it. So they shouldn't be held to the same standards, but they also shouldn't be considered unable to learn and have no expectations.

by Umertz 1 week ago

Bro, biology disagrees with you on this one.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Have you ever heard of neuroplasticity?

by katrinakuhic 1 week ago

Objectively and empirically untrue

by Anonymous 1 week ago

This is factually wrong. So your opinion is invalid and ignorant.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Well, I think even a neuroscientist would admit that they do not know everything about the brain. There is a lot more to be learned.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

The inverse is also true.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Yea, I don't think age has as significant of an impact as people think. It's the personality that matters.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

That would mean 8 year old you and 60 year old you are no different since it's the same personality. Do you not see how bizarre that stance is?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I didn't say it has no effect, but that it's not as significant as people believe it is

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I agree with you, OP.

by manuel37 1 week ago

Hmm, well I have to say that I don't believe you. Or your reference, I believe it is being misconstrued.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

They recommend learning languages as a young child because it's a lot harder as you get older. Younger brains are just not the same as when you age.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It's neural plasticity.

by Streichbrody 1 week ago

Clearly, you didn't study it well enough. You lack basic knowledge

by ContentMiddle5860 1 week ago

Medically speaking, you are incorrect.

by EstablishmentNice755 1 week ago

Not at all, if they are open to learning they can, if they are stubborn and stuck in their ways that's totally on them.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

This isn't an opinion. It's just factually incorrect

by Anonymous 1 week ago

My mum is almost 80. I work in software. She can tell you exactly what a man in the middle attack is, why it's bad, and how to avoid taking the risk. My dad is good too, but mum is the star pupil.

by jasminmorar 1 week ago

I have been around more than fifty years. It seems I am now old and stubborn because I apparently should not be able to use a cell phone. I am worried that I also can no longer use a PC I have been using for 35 years and iPad for over 10. I also have a smart TV so I guess I do no longer have the capability to use that either. Am I also too old to use Wifi and Bluetooth? Oh, Dear what will little old me do now?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I met a man who was in his 60's or 70's and he had turned his whole house into a smart house. Smart everything, a/c, heat, washer, dryer, lights. Programmed to turn on or off at specific times, etc. Then I meet other people who complain they're too old to learn something, or they say I'm just good with tech cuz I'm young. But I think it just depends on the person.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

There's three factors: One, yes, younger people do learn faster although that's a severely exaggerated trait. The second and thirds, however, are more important. For a young person, when they need to learn A, it's their only way to do B. So they are motivated to learn because they cannot function otherwise. For an old person, learning A is another way of doing B. The motivation (and gains) drop steeply. And finally, the obvious gains of learning something are much different than the actual gains. Let's take "the internet" as an example. If I didn't use the it but I used the local library, for example, and you told me learn to use this and you'll be able to access a lot of books, I might just go "meh, I can sort of already do that". Of course, using the internet can have a ton of benefits, and you can enumerate some but it's terribly difficult to explain the expansiveness of the gains. The big things, the things that take a lot of effort, change how you think; hell the ability to search changes how you remember (it doesn't make your memory worse, it just changes how its organised). But how the hell do you get someone to grasp that, before they do it. In short, learning takes necessity, or a leap of faith. Leaps of faith are difficult and for older generations, they are much more likely than necessity.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Idk, me learning Coding and AI use a is so I can not starve (B). I'm pretty dedicated to that. I believe that I learned information much faster than I would have at a younger age when I had a lot of other things to divert my attention.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I mean, you just said you did it not to starve. By an older age a lot of people are that pressed to learn something, that was my point.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

This is simply not true. Multiple studies prove that neuroplasticity and unadjusted IQ decrease starting from 25.

by Faustino68 1 week ago

All things being equal, fear and not age is the biggest impediment to learning.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

except it's been thoroughly and solidly proven by science that this isn't correct.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Lmfao, you should try that learning thing OP, because you seem to lack even the basic knowledge of how learning works or the human brain.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Eh, the old "prefrontal cortex development" argument. I've heard it. I used to take it at face value, but then I was like what does it even mean for that part of the brain to "fully develop"? Like what specifically happens to it? And if an older person has poor self-control, does that mean their cortex isn't developed or something? Or if a young person has good self control and cognitive thinking, did their brain develop faster? It just doesn't make sense to me tbh.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Lack of basic knowledge of the human brain confirmed

Lmao wrong!

by FairInvestigator9529 1 week ago

This is scientifically proven false butttt ok. Yeah some people use their age as an excuse and dont even try but the first part is just an objectively false fact.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Declining neuroplasticity begs to differ.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Research says we learn a little more slowly.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Especially given that some of the stuff they haven't learned has been around for longer than you, I or they have been alive.

by Danny45 1 week ago

I'm not old enough to be a judge on that.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

update me on this opinion once you're old i guess

by Anonymous 1 week ago

actually, no.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Old people are in fact not as capable of learning as young people. While I do think they should make the effort to learn things that are common in the current era. You have to understand that technology is not nearly as important to them as it is to young people. Their friends probably do things the old fashioned way by calling each other. I want to also explain the capacity of the brain to learn a bit. There is a common phrase "use it or lose it." The brain when we are young has many neuro connections that make it easier to learn things, such as language. As we age if these pathways haven't been used they disappear. It is the same reason why it is easier for a young person to recover from a stroke than a senior

And I hope you actually think before you speak in real life

You doubled down with the rudeness. I feel sorry for you

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Learning for old people is mental exercise for the brain, just as important as physical exercise for the body

by Anonymous 1 week ago

That's scientifically false the brain is less capable of learning the older you get

by Healthy-Papaya-6868 1 week ago

I agree with everyone on here saying old people can't, because old people are stupid.

by Dear_Moment2084 1 week ago

It makes me ask, are adults more or less intelligent than children? 🤔

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It is obvious that children are more intelligent in some ways. They have a greater amount of Delta Waves in their brain, which is associated with intuition and memory. They learn languages without being taught, quite easily, as well as how to walk, ride a bike, and so on...

I was definitely taught how to ride a bike. It took me till I was ten because I was really scared of hurting myself and would scream when someone let go of the handle bars and told me to pedal.

by manuel37 1 week ago

I suppose riding the bike wasn't the best example, but I bet I would have more trouble with learning it now than I did back then.

I don't think you would. I can see language being easier for little kids, but mechanical things like bike riding aren't necessarily inherently easier. I actually find that it is easier to learn certain things as an adult because you tend to have a better understanding of how it works and how to follow instructions.

by manuel37 1 week ago

I'm not sure how old you are, but I agree that one's accumulation of knowledge is helpful to understanding other concepts - to a point. But when it is something completely foreign, and you are middle-aged or older, it starts to show for many people. Everyone is different, and some might learn and hold memory better than others. I have only my observations of others, scientific evidence, and my own life experience to go by.

Talk to me after another 10-20 years. I didn't notice it at your age, but I'm 44 (in a month) and I certainly have.

Definitely a lot of boomers walking around that are dumber than children

by Dear_Moment2084 1 week ago