+33 "You need to do experience in life to find out what you really like" is BS. amirite?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

You know, people who know they're not gonna like 99% of the jobs exist, And how do they know that? Experience in similar things.

by clementparker 1 week ago

You get to know a job exists > you don't like it. You don't need to try that most of the times

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Right, but I'm asking how you decide you won't like it. You decide from previous experience in similar roles or experiences and knowing you didn't like them, so you won't like this. Think it like a banana split. Lets say you never ate it, but you do know you've had bananas and don't like them. That experience has given you enough knowledge to know you probably won't like a banana split. Or is there another way without experience?

by clementparker 1 week ago

Well it is, by knowing what are you gonna do in that job, if I know I am gonna dive in the sewers I am sure I'd dislike it. Thats just an extreme example

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Yeah literally

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It really just depends what adjacent experience you have to said thing. If you have no experience remotely similar, then yeah it's true you won't know till you try it. However if I had a job in construction and hated it because it was labor intensive, then it's safe to say I would also hate other labor intensive jobs, regardless of having specifically experience in that. Because I can extrapolate from my other experiences. However, if I don't like chocolate, and someone presents me with a banana and chocolate desert, and I have never had that combo I can't really be 100% certain I wouldn't like it until I tried it. As sometimes combining flavors completely changes the experience.

by Limp-Lie9459 1 week ago

While there are some cases in which you might reasonably be able to know you won't like something, in many cases the reality is simply that you've decided you won't like it and aren't open to the possibility that you are wrong. There is no way that you can know you aren't going to like 99% of the jobs without having experienced any of them.

by Dmonahan 1 week ago