+35 Converse are $30-$40 shoes and shouldn't be $80-$100, amirite?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I remember buying Converse for $40.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

If you account for inflation that's still about $70

by schmittnathanae 1 week ago

You gotta factor in CEO inflation

by Anonymous 1 week ago

$25 in 1985 is about $75 now so really not that far off.

by kaylie33 1 week ago

I got them in ‘95 for $20

by rohanrobin 1 week ago

I'll bet you that it cost them less than 10 bucks to make them. Same as every other brand of clothes or bags.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Definitely less.

by OkPerspective4865 1 week ago

I don't know whether that's true. Even the cheapest knockoffs on Temu are 12-15 USD.

by Thurman38 1 week ago

I'd bet since Converse became a Nike company they have them under $5 using all that cheap Chinese labour.

by Raoulbins 1 week ago

That's what I was gonna say. The materials cost more than the labor.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Great username!

by Raoulbins 1 week ago

It probably costs a lot less than any quality pair of shoes would cost to make.

by Significant-Pay593 1 week ago

Growing up they were 2 pairs/ $25.

by Comprehensive_Web 1 week ago

A little more than $10 now, but you're mostly correct.

by Medium-Cancel4692 1 week ago

Converse is owned by nike now. Labor is practically a non-existent cost.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

No. Majority of their costs is marketing. They farm out manufacturing and logistics. I did my college Capstone project on Nike.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Sure but it all adds together to arrive at the retail cost right?

by Ratkebertha 1 week ago

Nike is a marketing company that uses 3rd party manufacturing. They will go with whoever is cheapest who can deliver consistency.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

You're right. They aren't paying enough for labor. So a pair of Converse should actually cost more.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It's astounding how many people do this. You see it particularly with dishes at restaurants. "Psh they're charging $20 for this burger! I bet it cost them $6-$7 to make" Yeah. But that burger pays for the cook who cooked it and the dishwasher who washed the plate, and rent at the restaurant it was served at and the marketing budget that got you to see that commercial for the burger and on and on and on.

by Bayleekohler 1 week ago

A lot of the cost is shipping, storing, and marketing the product. I don't know how people don't understand this.

by Putrid_World 1 week ago

I used to think this then I worked in business to business customer service and has access to all of our items cost vs sell vs suggest msrp prices and it put a lot more of it into perspective.

by Dense-Lavishness-674 1 week ago

Because people are incredibly uneducated about the economy but they think it's simple so they make bad assumptions and never check themselves.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Footwear industry here but not converse: chuck all stars are Retail: ~$65. Standard Wholesale price is ~$32.50. This suggests the cost to manufacture and ship the shoe to a warehouse in the US with customs and taxes etc (FOB) is probably $14-17. You can use this ratio for most footwear except for Luxury Designer stuff where you're literally paying 1000 dollars for maybe a $40 FOB Marketing and overhead costs eat into the profit. Nothing nefarious but yeah better margins than say apple gets on a Macbook Pro or most auto manufactures

by JobSufficient7847 1 week ago

I'd bet closer to $8-10, Walmart sells very convincing knockoffs for less than $20

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Doubt it. Nikes specs sheets are extremely extensive and have high quality assurance. They have to maintain consistency across multiple manufacturers spread across many regions and still manage to make every pair identical. Walmarts specs are make a shoe that looks like this as cheaply as possible. It's really easy to make a batch of 1000 all the same but Nike needs to make millions of shoes all the same over many many years. Keeping fabric, rubber and dyes consistent is not that easy. Especially when you're sourcing the same materials from different manufacturers.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

This is hilarious. You think Nike is quality? I've had a couple pair fall apart from regular use after a few months. I'll never buy that garbage again.

by monserrate16 1 week ago

yeah could be! probably with the volume they have theyre getting good unit costs

by JobSufficient7847 1 week ago

Converse shoes cost less than $50 when I was in school in the 80's and 90's, and you used to get made fun of for wearing them

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Sketchers will make a comeback one of these days

by NoBreadfruit 1 week ago

When next in a hospital look at the feet of staff

by Anonymous 1 week ago

In most of my recent experience the majority of healthcare professionals are wearing Hoka

by carley72 1 week ago

It's a toss up between several brands in my hospital, but a majority use Crocs as their clean room shoes

by Anonymous 1 week ago

This.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

"vintage" skechers already are. some of them sell for 100+

by Anonymous 1 week ago

They are already making a comeback.

by Critical-Quantity 1 week ago

Champion has always had a home in the hardcore scene and I think that look has become kinda big in the tik tok world. Hell, some pretty big bands have even done Taco Bell ads lately.

by loganbeier 1 week ago

That trend has already passed in fact, it's sort of uncool these days but late 2010s champion was very trendy and hyped up

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It's pretty uncool again actually, on a positive note

by Anonymous 1 week ago

That's not a positive note. Champion is nice

by Dizzy_Ad 1 week ago

My mom didn't want to buy me any cause when she was in school in the 70s the only girls who wore them were the ones with feet too big for women's shoes Which like. I have big feet and so does she so uh.

by abeatty 1 week ago

isn't that how it was for Champion as well? i distinctly remember my older brother getting made fun of in school for wearing it, and now it's at least $50 for a sweatshirt last i remembered

by Krajciktheodore 1 week ago

Yup, Champion was for poor people in my school. If you didn't have Nike or Reebok you were not cool.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Reebok has been the poor choice a few times over the years

by Anonymous 1 week ago

& now Walmart sells Reebok & ecko. How the turntables.

by Chance-Connection-77 1 week ago

Hmm. Converse seemed to be big in the late 90s when I was in school, them and Van's.

by Shanaspinka 1 week ago

And in the 60s and 70s they were the coolest things out.

Happened after the Nike buyout. The ones with the cushion sole are more expensive, the ‘regular' sole is lower priced.

by PleasantShip4004 1 week ago

I think even the "regular" chucks must have been changed in some way that hasn't been marketed.

by Prestigious-Pin 1 week ago

They definitely last less time :(

by InteractionFuzzy 1 week ago

I've recently gotten in to Pumas. They do a ton of cool retro looks with fun color ways, and they mostly run $30-60 if you look on the right website. I have multiple pairs of insanely comfy pumas, none of which cost more than $40.

by loganbeier 1 week ago

Their quality has dropped off significantly since they got bought by Nike. I had a pair of Converse that lasted me all four years of high school, and still held up until I grew out of them. Now They cost twice as much, and last half as long.

by Fresh-Inspection 1 week ago

Nearly everything made recently seems to last far less longer than items I've had since the 90s.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Tell me about it. My company truck is a 2023 Chevy Colorado. Last week it blew a head gasket. It had 28,000 mi on it...

by Fresh-Inspection 1 week ago

What shoes are $30 normally today? I see plenty of options on sale for that, but not regular price.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Feiyue shoes are $35 and frequently go on sale. Virtually identical to Converse other than the logo.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

You can Thank Nike for that.

by InflationNo 1 week ago

Last time I bought converse they were 30-40 bucks lol

by ZookeepergamePast 1 week ago

No offense, but I think "This expensive thing should be cheaper" is about the most popular opinion you can have.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

They prolly were 10 dollar shoes at some point, its inflation

by EveningMinute9829 1 week ago

The only shoes I gladly accept a price increase for due to inflation, are Reebok Pumps.

by Potential-Advisor 1 week ago

You can't just blame everything on inflation. Sure yeah there's inflation, but like, there's no way classic converse shoes made of 1 layer of canvas and some rubber soles cost them more than 10 bucks to manufacture. It's pure greed.

by PermitMain3688 1 week ago

Every company is greedy. No company caps their prices at 5% over their costs. Prices are always going to be set by however much the public is willing to pay.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Exactly. That's not inflation

by PermitMain3688 1 week ago

The standard Chuck Taylor's are like $60 at Kohl's. If you have one near by, I usually get my chucks at the outlet store for around $30.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

The half off clearance rack in the back of the outlet is where it's at.

by Legitimate-Twist-138 1 week ago

Absolutely. Got the nicer, "premium" Chucks for $30 recently in the clearance.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Let me introduce to the thousands of other brand name hype beast clothing that are not ANYWHERE near worth their price and only has it because of the "branding" 😂

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Hate to break it to you, but the $30-40 you remember is $100 now

by bernierjett 1 week ago

What are any $80 shoes doing that $30 shoes aren't? This isn't about Converse, it's about people being brand whores

by Anonymous 1 week ago

This is only a popular opinion of the company.

by ComprehensiveCup 1 week ago

God damnit YES. Converse are so sick but I really cannot justify buying them when they're THAT expensive

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I've genuinely been wanting a couple of pairs of OG Chucks for years, but every time I see the price I continue putting it off. Just makes no sense to me that these are that expensive.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Yeha and a bag of chips shouldn't be 6$ and gas shouldnt be…. And X shouldn't be…. It's called inflation, they keep raising prices so me and you and the working class HAVE to keep working. Or else thier profits drop.

by Unusual-Wear 1 week ago

Weird that people are saying they don't last. All my chucks have lasted 4/5 years. Worn daily. Still have a wearable pair from highschool also. I graduated in 2010 lol

by Boyd04 1 week ago

Absolutely zero sole cushion whatsoever and uncomfortable as hell

by Anonymous 1 week ago

The quality has not lived up to the price

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Vans gang stay winning

by ddonnelly 1 week ago

It's fabric and rubber. They could sell em for 15 bucks and turn a profit.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Who tf is paying that much for Converse

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I'd only pay that much for Chuck IIs which were unfortunately canceled. Sucks because they were actually great shoes.

by Leatharath 1 week ago

So are Vans.

by DearLingonberry 1 week ago

If, by Converse, you mean ALL SHOES, I agree.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I paid $30 for my classic chucks in 1992. The same shoes are $65 now, which is basically exactly in line with inflation. They also go in and out of style, and when something is "in" of course it costs more.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

So aren't air Jordan's

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I remember when converse were called bobos and everyone made fun of them. Then they became cool, then not cool. Such is the circle.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I bought the black converse boot for $130. I love them.

by Harmonykuhn 1 week ago

is there an alternative to a simple shoe like converse? I wear them because they are better for my knees and back, frankly.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I like em for the barefoot feel.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

My first pair of converse were $27.

by Nienownoemie 1 week ago

I actually find them really uncomfortable to wear, they're so flat with no support

by Anonymous 1 week ago

that's the case for most name brand shoes especially nike. iirc i'm pretty sure a nike shoe takes no more than 25-30 dollars to make but they sell them for an egregious amount of money. By today's standards it sorta makes sense but like 15 years ago it was absurd but people bought them anyway cause of the name brand

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I generally don't get the hype about shoes. Whenever I stumble upon those "uptrade" videos they always have shoes at some point, and I am always just like wtf? Why would I want shoes, why would anyone want to trade anything for those shoes. Or that scalper who was sitting on tons of shoes.. I really don't get it.. I buy them because my old ones are worn out, even better buy the exact same ones again.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

$30-$40 should be the cost of those basic Chuck All Stars. The Chuck 70's actually feel way better and warrant a higher price for the improved structure of the shoe(I got mine for about $70) But $100 for converse is a borderline scam

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Counterpoint if you want 30 dollar shoes don't ever advocate for living wages.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Six years ago I could get a pair of chucks in a cute color… now $90? Are you sh$7i&$ me??

by New_Maximum 1 week ago

Their worth what the market is willing to spend on them.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

"Chucks" for example used to be around $30 and were honestly made in the USA, consequently raising the wholesale price. In the mid 90s, in a desperate attempt to become profitable - the company took production overseas (lowering the cost) and raised the retail on the sales floor. It didn't work, eventually they were bought by Nike. You are correct, there is nothing at all special about the basic Converse All Star canvas - except the young ladies love them as fashion footwear. Guys, not so much anymore - men moved to other canvas products.

by Medium-Cancel4692 1 week ago

Converse are amazing shoes though. In this economy 30-40 bucks buys crap shoes.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Converse are amazing shoes though. In this economy 30-40 bucks buys crap she is. She's

by Anonymous 1 week ago

They're 80-100 dollars now?!? I remember when they were only like 60. But you're right there are probably knock off brands just like converse that are just as good that are way cheaper.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Your standard Chuck Taylor's are selling for at most $79.99 Canadian, with lots on sale for half that. So there's no way they're being sold for $80-$100 USD unless they're some kind of limiteds or something.

Man, you kids are paying premium for basic stuff. Converse was affordable back in the 90s. Nikes were $50-$80 for something sorta basic but still stylish

by Complex-Gazelle 1 week ago

Most sneakers should be less than 80$

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Woo, I remember when they were $40 shoes... I'm old.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Pf flyers are a better shoe and cost less.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I made the mistake of wearing converses in 9th grade gym class. Such a painful experience.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I used to get chucks for $15 in the early 2000s. Same with Sauconys. I can never buy them now

by Timely-Work 1 week ago

who pays 80 dollars for them? they're trash shoes for weird emo kids

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Theyre now $80?!?! What happened to $60?

by CuteGrand3165 1 week ago

I've never worn converse but Adidas Stan Smith's are $130 CAD and I happily pay it because they're durable and comfortable.

by Successful-Cost 1 week ago

The wierdest part of Converse being a "brand name" is that they originally marketed themselves as the shoes you got to beat up because they weren't a brand with name value. Them being affordable was part of the draw. Then once they gained traction, it became a way to fit in and the price started climbing. Converse, Champion, Supreme, Levi, it happens to a lot of brands. Then Balenciaga creates shoes that look like a pair of worn out Converse picked right up out of an alley and sell the look for $850 (not exaggerating). Damn now you got me heated over poor chic again.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

You can get them with no name on it for 10 bucks lmao.

by Emergency-Pin 1 week ago

pple want to pay for expensive items ... that's why they are sold expensive

by Aschaefer 1 week ago

I usually paid $30-$40 for them in the 2010s. I would find them cheaper at places like TJ Maxx. Are you getting super unique designs/colors? I remember when it was popular for people to custom paint or draw on them.

by Hailie84 1 week ago

For me I'm willing to spend the money because every other shoe I've had seems to give out significantly quicker than my converse. Also, they're really comfortable.

by Wise-Internet-445 1 week ago

I remember when they were $45

by wiegandkristofe 1 week ago

A flat, ugly, uncomfortable shoe. I wouldn't pay $5 for them

by Anonymous 1 week ago

If I remember right they're also labeled as "slippers". I remember there being a cost saving reason behind that as well.

by thammes 1 week ago

I bought some airwalk knock off chucks for 20 bucks

by Anonymous 1 week ago

They will be whatever people will pay for them unfortunately. When I was in high school a million years ago only the dorks wore Converse and now it's a very popular shoe.

by Eusebio64 1 week ago

Same with Vans. Super ridiculous that they're like $70/$80 today. I know its just inflation but like damn

by Anonymous 1 week ago

If made in the USA the higher prices would be justified

by Anonymous 1 week ago

They are still better than most shoes under $50

by Konopelskinicho 1 week ago

You have just described every pair of shoes made

by Lilian54 1 week ago

Most everything is overpriced. I challenge anyone to come up with something that is exactly fairly priced.

by Tight-Boysenberry 1 week ago

Used to be 25 a pair. Then 30,then nike bought em and 50 a pair with less durability.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

i get knockoff converses. they are 30-40 bucks and look, and function, just as good, the only thing they lack is a logo.

by Aromatic_Base 1 week ago

Oh oh oh do Nike next

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Same as the rest of the cheap, plastic-filled, and Chinese-made garbage sold everyday. Government does nothing to reduce plastic pollution. Cheaply made crap doesn't last as long and makes you buy more.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

When I was a kid in the 80s they were the cheapest shoes you could get. Only $15 a pair, so you could get a couple pairs at a time. Usually saw kids from low income families wearing them.

by tristian70 1 week ago

Shoes are unbelievably overpriced.

by SuccessfulPermit6713 1 week ago

And they're ugly asf

by mac37 1 week ago

If they should be, they would be. Its how a free market works

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Agreed. I love converse but will only buy them used. I refuse to pay more than $20 for a pair of shoes.

by Patient_Biscotti 1 week ago

This can literally be said about any shoe.

by Zwhite 1 week ago

That's why Kurt bought them in the first place.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

One of the worst small purchases I ever made. Uncomfortable, a hassle to put on and fell apart really quickly. Glad that kids today know better

by jayde85 1 week ago

Nah I bought a pair of the off brands once. They lasted a day before the sole broke loose. I've had multiple pairs of authentic converse and they last for yrs! Big difference in quality my friend.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

My laces snapped and the fabric is starting to move away from the rubber toe/sole thing. I've had them for about two years and wear them near daily, so def not worth what I paid

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I started buying knock offs on amazon and they are actually more comfortable 🙃

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I remember them costing like $40 when I was in high school. It's been about 5 years since I bought my current pair (I almost never wear them) and can't remember what they cost but I remember them being a lot mkre than what I'd paid in orevious years. Also Converse is owned by Nike, everything they produce is significantly more expensive than what they should be especially with how cheap their labor it. Same with Doc Martens, they use insanely cheap materials and labor to make a work boot that isn't suitable for working in that they sell for hundreds of dollars. Rose Anvil on Youtube has done some great videos comparing the materials in the boots.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

While I'm sure they are over marked (as anything else is), I will say I have only had two pairs of converse in my life: The first pair: lasted me from 6th grade to sophomore year of high school The second pair: I bought the summer after my sophomore year and still wear today (I am 19) So overall I would say that while they might be a little pricey they've always seemed to be well made and last me for a good while, and I'm not careful with my shoes by any means. Worth $100 for sure.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

All shoes are way overpriced and marked up

by coltonlittel 1 week ago

Converse are decent, at least the basic type of shoe. They're surprisingly durable and comfortable. They're actually among the more durable shoes I've had besides hiking boots. Compared to something like Air Jordans, they're a bargain.

by Tyrel23 1 week ago

I bought one pair, liked the style. They are so flat that it is no different to me than walking directly on the ground. I hated them haha.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I just tried on some chuck Taylor's last week because they looked cool. Most uncomfortable sneakers I can remember ever on my feet.

by susana49 1 week ago

Are Chuck Taylor's not $45 anymore?

by Watershulda 1 week ago

eBay my friend…. eBay…

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Converse are technically slippers and are imported as such. That's why they have a fuzzy layer under the tread.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Dc has a similar sttle shoes I got for 35 bucks. Wearing them right now

by gabriel96 1 week ago

This is not a hot take at all. They used to be way cheaper than they currently are, and way cheaper than other shoes at the time.

by Nhoeger 1 week ago

They weren't cool in 1987 when I wore them

by reingerkyler 1 week ago

I remember when they were $20-$30

by Anonymous 1 week ago