+28 Greece really missed out on naming itself Tzatzikistan, amirite?

by Comfortable-Oven-820 1 week ago

It's Yunanistan in Turkish.

by qnitzsche 1 week ago

The name for Hellas internationally comes from one of three routes. Hellas; which comes from Hellen à la Hellen of Troy, Greece; which comes from Graecia, a city in Magna Gracea, and Yunan, the Persian name, which comes from their pronunciation of Ionian, the Greeks they interacted the most with (as they ruled over them).

by Gloomy_Move 1 week ago

Hellen of Troy is named after Hellen, the son of Deucalion who is the son of Prometheus who gave fire to man. Zeus angry at Prometheus for the power given to man then binds him to forever be tortured and causes a great flood to wipe out humanity. Prometheus in time warns Deucalion to build an ark and survive with his tribe the Hellenes. Yes it is that story and is in like 30 mythologies

by Significant-Fox 1 week ago

And it's as old as civilization itself pretty much, as the flood story is also in the Epic of Gilgamesh

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Hellas means the land of the sun, the name was given by Philip, the father of Alexander the great after he unified by conquest the greek city states. You see, every greek city state had a god protectorate. For instance, athens had athena goddess of wisdom. Well, Macedonia had helios, god of the sun, so he named his lands after him.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

The name Hellas existed before that, so that's not it's origin.

by CarelessKitchen9513 1 week ago

No, it most certainly did not.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

This almost made me spanakopee myself.

by Vlockman 1 week ago

souvlakia

by Anonymous 1 week ago

"Spanakopita!" - Rusty Venture

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Well I'm glad I got to make an impact in your life

by Comfortable-Oven-820 1 week ago

I'll never forget you ♥