+14 People shouldn't put clothes on their dogs, amirite?

by Curious_Guide 1 week ago

What about little shoesies for hot road/ path

by Marlinkub 1 week ago

I'm ok with that since it's got a practical use

What about a thunder shirt?

by Illustrious_Paint545 1 week ago

If that's what I think it is (jacket that helps dogs deal with loud noises like thunder???) tjen yeah I think that's ok, as it has a practical use and benefits the dog, and isn't just there because the owner thinks it looks cute

What if he needs clothes because he is hairless, and needs a sweater, but its like a pink baby adidas jacket or around christmas time red flannel footie pajamas? I have a chihuahua mutt that shivers if its not 85 plus out. Can I dress him up fun or does it solely have to be utilitarian boring clothes?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

animals without fur regulate their body temperature and if you live in a routinely cold environment you probably shouldnt get a hairless pet. Same way you shouldnt get a Husky if you live in a hot area.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I live in northern california where it is really warm. I have been out on the river and it be 95F and he's shivering. If I dont put clothes on him he just lives under his blanket and doesn't come out until summer.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

mean. if youve been out on the river, the wind and water make that cold regardless of temperature. If you were on land at 95F I doubt thats much different from summer weather, unless I missed California routinely being in the 110s? I live on the gulf so its not that much different temp wise

by Anonymous 1 week ago

The highest I saw last year was 113. It has gotten up to 116.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

As I said, if they need a jacket , then get them a jacket, since you obviously don't want them to freeze to death. If they're going to wear a jacket I think it can look nice of course, but it should be worn for practical purposes, and your choice should be made with practicality in mind. It's interesting that you have a chihuahua since it seems chihuahuas owners are the worst offenders when it comes to stupid outfits. I've seen chihuahuas wearing suits and ties, army uniforms, dresses, all sorts of stupid stuff

But I have to put clothes on him like 7 months out of the year so why can't they be fun? He doesn't care what he wears, so if it brings someone else joy where is the harm in that?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

My dog gets pumped when she puts on a sweater. She knows we are about to do something fun outside! And it's cute. If I put something on them and they don't like it, they don't have to wear it.,

by Anonymous 1 week ago

My pittie has a hoodie with bunny ears, and as soon as you put it on him he wants to wrestle with his sister.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

They're dogs, not people, they're not supposed to be wearing dresses, or hoodies That's the point, that they're not supposed to, that makes it fun/cute

by Glass-Maintenance 1 week ago

Unless people are putting clothes on your dog I don't really think this has anything to do with you.

by Thurman92 1 week ago

They're not saying it does, it's just their opinion on it.

by Common-Audience 1 week ago

It's just stupid, they're not toys

My dog has a t-shirt to stay warm when it's chilly but not chilly enough for a full coat. I also tried to buy my dogs a cute sweater, but it doesn't fit them right. I think it's bad to put a pet in clothes if the pet hates it and there's no practical benefit, but if the pet doesn't mind, then it's fine to put on clothes just because it's cute.

by Embarrassed_Syrup669 1 week ago

I think it's humiliating to the dogs, and I doubt they really do like it, they're just good boys and girls

Ah yes, domesticated dogs, famous for their acute feelings of shame 🤦

by Kgraham 1 week ago

Not your dog, not your business. Unless the clothing is causing the animal to be unable to move or it is affecting how they communicate with other dogs, people can do what they want. It's not hurting you and it's not hurting the dogs. You have a preference and that's ok. Don't put clothes on your own dog.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

The weird dog hair dye feels abuse adjacent too, idc what anyone thinks

by Alfhodkiewicz 1 week ago

I didn't know people dyed their dogs. That is disgusting behaviour

I don't have a dog but my cat likes clothes. Sometimes he wants to look pretty. Sometimes he's chilly. Sometimes it's Halloween and he looks cute as heck in a costume. If he hated it, I would know. He likes his outfits.

by Flimsy-Topic 1 week ago

Unless the dog is visibly distressed there is no reason to throw a fit. Do i get the need for costuming your pet? No. But i also have met some dogs who absolutely loved their little sweater

by Anonymous 1 week ago

You must not have a cute dog.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Sometimes the dog insists. an example

by Feliciaraynor 1 week ago

My dog loved wearing clothes tbh especially sweaters in the winter. She had short hair and was fashionable not her fault.

by Abigaylehickle 1 week ago

Ridiculous. Short hair breeds often need coats in the winter to keep warm. It's not always about making them look cute. Plenty of clothes are practical for dogs. It's like people think there's only one kind of dog. There are literally hundreds of breeds designed for different purposes. Some of which is to look adorable and be a companion.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Did you not read what I said?

And I said "Some dogs are designed to be adorable and be companions". Plenty of dogs like clothes. And they like the attention they get from wearing it. If it's hurting, what the issue?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I honestly totally agree with this!! Not unpopular for me at all. I'd even argue that a coat is dumb. It's like, these animals used to be not domesticated, and lived outside...like all the time. They have fur and deep winter coats for when it's winter and cold. But the most dumb is forcing a dog to wear Crocs or little shoes, it's so dumb..."because the pavement is hot", like unless you take your dog on a 5k in Phoenix with nothing but pavement, they'll be fine! They have pads on their feet that are there from evolution! I'm not a vet but I've owned dogs and would love to hear from a vet if this is wrong.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Idk, I hear you on glass and needles obviously. And if that's why you put shoes on your dog, so be it. But mulch? Gravel impales paws? I think they're tougher than that. And personally, I don't buy the hot pavement argument. Again, if it's sustained pavement on a long walk and it's really hot out, then I understand, heck pavement burns my feet! But I just feel 99% it's unneeded and more to "stylize" your dog rather than protection. My story of the day: my dad owns a dog, her name is Mimsy. One day, when chopping wood with an electric saw, Mimsy came up to him with her ball to play, and he threw the ball behind him but she went in front of him instead of behind for some reason. And he started the saw to chop some more wood, and her paw got caught in the blade! There was blood everywhere and had to take her to the vet. She got some stitches and it recovered thankfully :)

by Anonymous 1 week ago

My dog was raised in Virginia where she ran around on grass. Her feet were very soft. We came to Colorado and the dog parks were either rock or mulch. She was tearing up her feet. I had to wrap them for a week at a time two or three times before I decided to just put boots on her. Eventually I finally found a partially grassy park instead. I still put boots on her for hikes in certain locations because they're mostly gravel or wood chips and I'm not going to let her paws get damaged again. She also wears boots in the snow because she hates the snow and will start limping and refuse to go potty if there is snow in her feet. I'm sure other dogs have tougher feet than she does but her boots are part of her safety. Here she is with her poor wrapped feet.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Good point. Again, I'm not against any clothing for practical purpose. I just don't like when people dress up their dogs in costumes purely for their own amusement. These dogs are living creatures

And that's fine if you choose not to put anything on your dogs. I'm still going to put my poodle in a Halloween dress and put bows on her ears, because she's my dog and it's not hurting her.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

My dog has a Santa suit that he wears on Christmas. I know he likes it, because when he sees me take it out of the closet, he runs over with his tail wagging and patiently lets me put it on him. My cat has a Christmas costume as well, but as soon as she sees it she turns and runs, so I just stick it back in the closet and wait to try again next year.

by Igorczany 1 week ago

Hm

Well said

My dog has a life vest and a carry handle vest. He's basically turning 90 years old in dog years in a month

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Given that most people are dressing their dog up for practical reasons (cold weather, thundershirts, paw protection) and you dont seem to mind if its "fun", as long as the dog is being dressed up for practical reasons, I think you fail the unpopular opinion test. Outside of "influencers", the majority of people dont have the time or inclination to put little outfits on their dogs just for aesthethics. Maybe the odd Halloween or Christmas outfit, but really, most of us dont.

by SafeTurnover 1 week ago

My dog is cold at 70 degrees outside

by Anonymous 1 week ago

‘My only exception'