-15 Nintendo discontinuing the WII and making one console is the worst decision they ever made, amirite?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

As much as I love the wiiU the fact you think they went directly from the wii to the switch shows that the switch wasn't the worst idea they had.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Also the switch is an overwhelming objective success.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Worst decision ever made resulting in the sale of 140,000,000 consoles sold.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

God I wish my bad decisions were that profitable

by Daren94 1 week ago

To be fair, those were the dumbest baboons I've ever met.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Clearly. They were persuaded to put a toaster in the bath with them.

by candida98 1 week ago

Now what of humans who do this?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Lmao right?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

What I find funny is that objectively this isn't the worst decision they have ever made. IMO the worst was when they basically helped create the Sony Playstation and gave Sony a spot in the industry.

by Suspicious_Idea_7857 1 week ago

Tbf to Nintendo, Sony wanted the stranglehold on the optical media production and licensing just like Nintendo did with their own Seal of Quality program for the NES a few years back. I can totally understand why Nintendo backed out of the PlayStation in the end. Philips gave them a much more lenient deal with the CD-i, and when that deal also went nowhere, Philips got to act on the clause that licensed Nintendo characters to them without Nintendo's oversight, so we got glorious memes out of it at least.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Also the wiiu and virtual boy existing. But nah one of their most successful and profitable things they've ever made is totally their worst decision right?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

This or the Wii U name.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

What you do think objectively the worst decision is?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

140,000,000 consoles sold make this opinion quite unpopular, wouldn't you agree?

by Commercial_Bowler_34 1 week ago

Bad decisions for consumer != bad decision for the company OP is obviously talking about consumers perspective.

by Giovannanienow 1 week ago

The 3DS sold a third of the units of the DS because smart phones had come onto the scene. Nintendo rightly realize a dedicated handheld gaming device was dead because of phones and unified. A 4DS would have been a Wii U level disaster.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Also I'll be for real, the 3DS had a terrible games library. Especially compared to the DS. The fact I almost find more games to play on my vita is shocking considering how rightfully bad its reputation is.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I think you are missing two key facts. One software sales. The ds sold 200m units, the wii sold 920m(80 something of which were wii sports and included) and the switch has sold 1,200m. With this it's important to note that they make way more money on software sales than they ever do the console. When the switch originally released they were making like $25 a piece and the same can be said for the ds and wii. The other factor is now they don't have to run a console development team and a handheld team. And are saving money doing so. It also shows by unifying these they have gotten much greater support from third party devs to port and create games for the switch than the wii, wii u and ds had.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I disagree with the "huge decline" for anything other than Pokemon, and those games aren't developed by Nintendo. This generation has been one of Nintendo's absolute best in terms of game quality IMO.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It's a seven year old console my guy, and it's sales say otherwise against your "too bulky" or "underpowered" conclusion.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I mean you are missing the context of shifting consumer sentiment regarding a true mobile-gaming platform. Notice how the 3ds has less than a 3rd of the DS sales? Nintendo's market clearly moved away from mobile consoles (probably in favor of phones) and because of the shrinking upside of mobile-specialization they made the pretty smart move to consolidate product design efforts into one hybrid console (as opposed to a home/mobile split) which allowed them to keep the die-hard mobile consumers (the small part of 154m DS buyers that were still interested in big N's mobile game franchises) and appeal to a more mainstream home-console audience. This of course ignores the fact that games sell consoles, and clearly people still love Ninty's games.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

That's what happens when you slap the name nintendo on something.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

N64 sold ~ 32mil Gamecube ~20mil Wii U ~ 13mil There's obviously more to it than just the Nintendo branding.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

When they combined it into one they made the WiiU, actually. Dual screens, no portability.

by OutrageousSample8821 1 week ago

Smash bros isn't a remaster. The other two are, but Smash Ultimate is original to the Switch

by United-Pie2263 1 week ago

It had way more power than the Wii, what are you even talking about.

by Excellent-Forever 1 week ago

The Wii u had way more power than the 360/ps3. The Wii u had a triple core processor with 2GB of total ram and the GFX was based on the Radeon 600/700 architecture while the 360, while also having a triple core cpu had 512MB of ram and the GPU was based on the R500 architecture. The PS3 was slightly more powerful than the 360. The problem was that it came out only approximately 2 years before the PS4/XbOne which were in full hype train ahead at the time. Then again, even by the Wii Nintendo had already created their own market. The switch 2 is rumoured to be as powerful as a PS4 and will probably sell like water in the desert.

by LowArmadillo 1 week ago

I almost bet they could have sold far more if they called it something other than Wii U.

by Various-Break 1 week ago

You would technically be wrong though because Nintendo has been a masterclass of gimmicks. Gameboy: Was unheard of at the time. packing that much power into a small portable system was wild and a hell of a gimmick that worked. Nintendo 64: Had a wild controller design. While it was technically the only gimmick, the console sold incredibly well off it's first party games. Gamecube: Had an equally crazy controller and the gimmick was the small CDs. Nintendo DS: Dual screens, a hell of a gimmick and made massive sales. Wii: another strange controller and it was the entire gimmick. Able to move things on screen with motion Switch: adopting the portability of the gameboy and the functionality of a home system into one console. Removing the controls and making them motion activated was also gimmicky. Nintendo is the king of gimmicks. I firmly believe the only reason Wii U didn't do well is only on the name alone.

by Various-Break 1 week ago

Gimmicky accessories was pretty much a Wii thing, right? I had tennis rackets, steering wheels, etc. They took up a lot of space and brought very little to the table.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I guess my point should've been phrased like "by the time the Wii U came out, the Wii player base (which includes adults, the elderly, and people that didn't consider themselves gamers) were used to the Wii and were tired of buying white plastic accessories for it that they barely used. The Wii U kinda looks like an expensive tablet Wii accessory, if you don't look into it."

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I think the Wii U was a necessary step towards developing the Switch.

by Negative-Tea-8028 1 week ago

I bought a Wii U and I liked it.

by Allan56 1 week ago

Same, I got it for the Twilight Princess HD because I couldn't help myself. My kids now love it too, so it was really worth it.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

My dream was to play Minecraft on it and manage my inventory on the small screen like the zombie game they made

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Wii U was great.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It wasn't a bad console, it was just poorly named, badly marketed, and honestly a lackluster followup to the insanely successful Wii. I think the name WiiU is a testament to Nintendo thinking they could ride the coat tails of their revolutionary console with this not-quite-as-revolutionary console. It was different, but not revolutionary like the Wii was or the Switch has proven to be.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

"it's just a horrible device all around" Compared to what? It's objectively better hardware wise than the 3Ds, WII. The WII was the "making one console", much more than the switch.

by Wonderful_Cupcake 1 week ago

Worst decision ever. My brother in Christ the switch just prints money for them. Don't present your opinion as a universal law. You personally don't like what they've done but it's very clear what they do works.

by After_Ad_7748 1 week ago

That's not even an opinion, that's just stupidity

by AppropriateDesk5935 1 week ago

The Switch is simultaneously their best selling console and their second best selling handheld console, it is positioned to overtake the DS and potentially the PS2. Not only is your opinion unpopular it's uninformed and just downright bad. Their continued sales and software sales prove you wrong on every level.

by BeeRepresentative 1 week ago

Well you are entitled to your opinion. But reality doesn't give a flying F about it though because the switch is almost at the highest selling console list.

by Beckerlincoln 1 week ago

I still can't believe that the Switch hasn't surpassed the DS yet.

by Jaiden72 1 week ago

Lmao, this is really just wrong. If anything it's better for the consumer and worse for the company because you buy one device instead of two

by Emmerichgretche 1 week ago

What do you think the switch lost compared to a theoretical console that's not portable? Nintendo's decision to make the switch's computing power weaker then competing consoles would have happened regardless looking at their history with the Wii and Wii u. The console being portable is just natural progression of computer devices getting smaller and smaller over time reducing the difficulties of making a portable console.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

If the Switch was so dumb, why did Sony and Steam copy it?

by estella20 1 week ago

while I agree that the switch was extremely successful, saying the steam deck and ps portal are rip-offs of is just stupid

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Even if the Switch was bad, I don't see how that has anything to do with making just one console?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I love my switch so screw you but also the worst thing they ever did was close the eshop

by Spirited_Net 1 week ago

yep, definitely an unpopular opinion. I love it soooo much. Easy to transport. Take animal crossing, when I'm home I will play it on my monitor but when I travel out of town, I can take it with me and have a chill way to relax at the end of the day.

by Sbrakus 1 week ago

This isn't even an unpopular opinion. It's just wrong. You even seem to be missing a few years of product history between the eras you're discussing. I'm not entirely sure what to make of this.

by Michel37 1 week ago

This isn't an opinion, it's just factually wrong.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I don't believe that you or anyone believes this.

by Significant-Turn785 1 week ago

Nintendo ignores the market and seeks innovation with every release. The switch is massively popular and almost everything they've released has been a hit. They've been dominating the handheld market, and now the switch is a major competitor. Their next release will also be popular.

by Murazikimogene 1 week ago

WiiU?

by Busy-Bag 1 week ago

I feel like, of all the video game consoles made over the last ENTIRE DECADE, the Switch is the only console you can't say "Lacks in quality and variety" about. That's absolutely insane

by United-Pie2263 1 week ago

Empirically its the best financial decision Nintendo has ever made. Now if you want to argue you miss the weird creative output Nintendo used to give you on handheld devices, I'm all for that. But the Switch is Nintendo's most profitable console ever, you literally can't say it was a bad decision for them to unify their base.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

"worst decision" Virtual Boy. gg

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Somebody hasn't had the optical frying joy of the virtual boy. It sold 3/4 of a million units. On Nintendo's scale it was a failure. That being said, it's always cool to see a company take risks and innovate. There would have been no wii if they weren't so bold. I don't prefer the switch undocked, but it is clearly just fine for most people as a portable system. It isn't perfect, but Nintendo is masterful at leveraging a cheaper system to perform well at its limits in order to sell more units, and having strong (if not plentiful) 1st party titles to keep a consistent fanbase. I think they'll be OK :)

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Boo. The switch is dope. Boo.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I did like how nice and small the 3ds was but I still like the switch lite better as a handheld. Idk they just nailed it with the switch IMO

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I miss my Wii so much. My remote got damaged and for some reason we never got a replacement. That was over 10 years ago. I don't even know if they still have a surplus of remotes laying around. I should look that up today. Get me a remote and find whatever games I can.

by Reasonable_Stable472 1 week ago

You're wrong, but I can't deny this is an unpopular opinion so...

by Competitive_Till 1 week ago

So you've never heard of the virtual boy

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Virtual Boy cries in the corner

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I'm not even sure what OP is upset about. His points he is mad about don't actually support his the issue he is also upset with.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I just wanna see another proper Nintendo console.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I'm glad we all hated the Wii U so much we would rather blame the switch.

by Excellent-Can 1 week ago

The Wii was dope. The switch is dope. Thats all I came to contribute.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

3DS games should have been backward compatible with the Switch. Emulation should be a no-brainer if the company with the hardware and software design docs have all the information they need to make a proprietary emulator. That should have been the real value add from the Expansion Pak.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I think you just miss the nostalgia. Though I would love another DS or PSP type device to be popular again since the switch is definitely bigger and not as portable as those two that could fit in a small purse or a pocket even. I think there's no market for it probably since we have our phones as a casual small gaming console lol.

by EffortElectrical 1 week ago

What are you snoking? The switch is amazing. One console, 4 tvs, and it's mobile.... The switch is great. It's awesome that I can grab my kid in the middle of a video game and throw him in the car and hand him the same switch without interrupting his game. It's a real peace saver.

by tyost 1 week ago

Finally a truly unpopular opinion. I totally disagree, of course. The Switch is a family friendly console that is easy to take in road trips. Win-win.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I was just thinking today about how great my Switch is. I have Wii, Wii U, and PS5 at home and the Switch gets more use than all of them. The only mistake was that they made two versions.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

There's a difference between an unpopular opinion and straight up idiocy

by Necessary-Match3767 1 week ago

I miss handhelds

by Anonymous 1 week ago

a horrible device? the switch is awesome you're just dramatic

by Anonymous 1 week ago

The switch is a great retro console.

by hertha36 1 week ago

Truly unpopular lol. What makes the device horrible?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Sales figures for the Switch say otherwise. Nintendo can't compete with Sony and Microsoft on console power. What they have always had is IP and unique features. There's a lot of overhead maintaining separate consoles and handheld ecosystems. I think it was one of the smartest decisions they have ever made.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I personally love the switch. I think it's the best device they have made so far.

by Acceptable-Drawing69 1 week ago

Nintendo is this obscure indie company... I don't think this is unpopular, it's just bullying.

by NefariousnessFar 1 week ago

Wow.... you must be Gen Z. Nintendo is the OG, next to Sony and Sega.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It's bait and brother, you took the worm

by boganlouie 1 week ago

Buddy, gen z is well aware of what Nintendo is. You fell for som obvious sarcasm

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I agree. The DS and Wii were my favorite consoles growing up but I could never get into the WiiU or the Switch.

by AdCapital 1 week ago

I LOVE my Wii, and I was dévêtir when they discontinued it! I've also used the Wii Fit for physical therapy; it was fun and beneficial!

by Anonymous 1 week ago

The worst decision Nintendo ever made was canceling a deal they had with a company named Sony. Sony went on to create the Playstation as an act of revenge.

by Low-Sundae-7188 1 week ago

Anything actually worth playing on the Wii is expensive as hell. It's basically Shovelware: the Console.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Except Mario kart. That was pretty cool.

by Fun_Gas_2736 1 week ago

They should have gone a step farther and made it into a smartphone.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I agree that combining Home Console & Handheld has led to a loss of the smaller scale games that suited the handheld market specifically and that is valid and a genuine criticism (see it in franchises like Pokemon being forced into a home console market) That said, financially its been great for Nintendo. Theyre raking in the cash with the switch

by Reba62 1 week ago

It only lacks quality because the switch hardware is nearly a decade old now making it ancient as far as tech is concerned.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Switch has some solid games. As a system though I agree. It's lacklustre as an independent handheld and lacklustre as a static console

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Agree, but there are plenty of third party accessoires available to counter that problem...

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Totally not a bad decision, since it's their cash cow. However, out of every high selling consoles, sure, the Switch is the worst.

by Adorable_Trainer 1 week ago

In what world did the 3ds underperform? Sure it did initially but after the first price cut it was a massive success

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It was nowhere near the nds popularity and 3d gimmick wasn't very popular.

by Plus-Needleworker 1 week ago

You realize that only one console in history (so far) has outsold the nds right? The 3d gimmick not being popular is irrelevant. It still sold 75 million units regardless.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

The Wii was crap and so was the DS (opinion) If anything the Switch is a savings grace in their dry spell of crappy systems.

by Betty58 1 week ago

The Wii was crap and so was the DS. based on what?

by Wilmakeeling 1 week ago

Personal preference. I hated those systems.

by Betty58 1 week ago

are just neccesary vehicles to play their games. Just like consoles from every other company?

by AppropriateDesk5935 1 week ago