+38 It's weird how everyone says breakfast is the most important meal of the day but it is completely acceptable to eat dessert for that meal, amirite?

by reillyflavio 1 week ago

breakfast is the most important meal Propaganda from Dr. Kellogg

by nhoppe 1 week ago

You can't believe everything Dr Kellogg said. I have Corn Flakes every morning at 8am then I masturbate at 8:15.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I've see you masturbate at 8am THEN eat cornflakes at 8:15

by Marksshane 1 week ago

Mmm... salty corn flakes

by Ok_Average 1 week ago

How else would you add the milk?

by liabailey 1 week ago

I'm so glad I don't eat cereal.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Are you a fan of smoothies?

by liabailey 1 week ago

Nuh-uh don't you type one more word…

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Frothy semen

by liabailey 1 week ago

Wow. Some days, I just…hate being literate.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Have I been starting my mornings all wrong?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I did that for a while but the people at my 8am meetings started complaining.

by Otherwise-Pin6532 1 week ago

Also, you can literally anything for break fast. We recently switched to pasta because that's the best way for kiddo to eat. And yes, he does need to eat … w/out breakfast he'd be w/out real food for 18 hours in a row.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I feel like this is more important for children who sleep for longer than it is for adults.

by Kendrickjacobi 1 week ago

The idea of only being able to eat certain foods for breakfast is very much an American thing.

by Acceptable_Piece416 1 week ago

Cappuccino and a pastry is basically France. But I recently read somewhere that the more traditional French breakfast staples are being driven out by popular western things like brand cereals and the like

by Kirkblick 1 week ago

meh. Germans bought into "The Most important meal" myth too and are very bemused when you break the standard, especially when you cook pasta or a soup. leftover pizza are already suspect to many.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

What about UK, Australia, Japan, France, and Italy?

by Cool_Cardiologist 1 week ago

Gotta sell those cornflakes

by Anonymous 1 week ago

They've done studies to test the whole idea of "kickstarting your metabolism", "most important meal of the day", etc., and have a found there is a link between skipping breakfast and being an unhealthy weight. But predictably no study found that eating breakfast would result in a change in someone's weight or overall health, but rather found that people who tended to skip meals randomly or otherwise had a chaotic approach to eating, tended to be overweight. Which is no real surprise to anyone.

by Davinyundt 1 week ago

I'm guessing you would recommend Krusty Os instead?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I mean arguably it is the most important meal of the day since you would have gone the longest time without eating anything. The time between breakfast ->lunch->dinner is much shorter than the time between dinner and breakfast.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Right! It's just what Big Breakfast wants you to think. No other meal needs a slogan to make you eat it. Breakfast is a scam. Wake up, sheeple! ...and then don't eat anything until midday.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Doesn't make it untrue though

by Frederique44 1 week ago

I've heard that intermittent fasting is healthy and that definitely benefits no company right

by Anonymous 1 week ago

"breakfast foods" are a scam. Who decided what you can eat and when?

by conroymarcos 1 week ago

For real. Bacon used to have nothing to do with breakfast until some company wanted it to be associated

by Goldnercassandr 1 week ago

Listen bacon did nothing to you.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It gave me prostate cancer lol

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Why were you putting bacon up your ass?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

i was straight up eating leftover pork chop for breakfast one morning & got questioned tell me the difference between where bacon & a pork chop come from

by Anonymous 1 week ago

And they did a damn fine job.

by tweimann 1 week ago

As a European I don't get this. Least of all, how do you have time to make it before going to work??

by paltenwerth 1 week ago

Talk to a diabetic and you will feel differently. The traditional breakfast meal was just a marketing ploy but eating different foods at different times and in different orders actually can have wildly different effects on your body.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Ya. No disagreement here.

by conroymarcos 1 week ago

source?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

My parents mostly, or whoever made the menu in the cafeteria

by Anonymous 1 week ago

what's the scam?

by ccremin 1 week ago

It has to do with how quick you can prepare them. You can make an egg or cereal in under a minute. So those meals become common.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Well they're generally foods that take little time to prepare, but the main issue is that you have no real need to start your day with a hearty meal if you're not a farmer or doing some other type of intensive manual labor early in the morning.

by hhowe 1 week ago

Advertising isn't "everyone says", they're trying to change what everyone does to sell something.

by Disastrous-Page7672 1 week ago

1) that was a marketing campaign that worked very well. 2) it's not acceptable at all to anyone who cares about nutrition.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I care about nutrition, but I'm not going to let it get in the way of my French toast

by Emotional_Brother 1 week ago

Exactly, why wouldn't French toast be nutritious anyway? It's literally eggs, bread, and some honey/maple syrup

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Uhh because sugar, sugar, and more sugar?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It is often made with a lot of sugar and the syrup is also pure sugar. But if you have it with some sausages and take it easy on the sugar then it's great

by Emotional_Brother 1 week ago

yeah right, just add some saturated fats and sodium lmao

by Anonymous 1 week ago

You don't know me.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Apologies. My phrasing was more judgemental than I intended. I just really don't like dessert for breakfast. So long as you're aware of good nutrition and make up for it elsewhere, eat what you like. Heck, or don't. Ain't my body.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Ehhh a lot of breakfast food isn't unhealthy A lot of cereal can be really healthy. Oatmeal, grits, eggs are all solid options. Cereal and milk often doesn't do bad especially for micros Yogurt and some granola is solid.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

That wasn't what I said at all...

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Depends on the cereal, but some certainly have the sugar and nutritional value of dessert.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I'm not saying cereal is desert, OP is. I said Cereal is decently healthy especially if you pick a healthier one.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Yep. And I responded to that without saying anything resembling what you seem to think I said.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I'm not missing that context. You're making incorrect assumptions about what my statement intended.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

But dessert is important and could qualify as the most important meal of the day for some.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

When you have dessert as a meal, where does it go? The standard stomach, or the dessert stomach?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

scientifically the stomach expands when it touches sugar, so you always have more room for dessert.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

They're talking about things like cereals that have a lot of sugar and referring to them as "dessert"

by Longjumping-Drop7575 1 week ago

You eat those for breakfast?

by lilliana37 1 week ago

You don't? It's more like mid afternoon snack but could be either easily

by Anonymous 1 week ago

On behalf of the Danish GDP I thank you for your service.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I very rarely do to be fair lol, maybe pastries sometimes

by Anonymous 1 week ago

You've never heard of coffee and donuts for breakfast?

by Cheap_Role 1 week ago

No, coffee obviously but not doughnuts

by lilliana37 1 week ago

Well that's probably for the best lol.

by Cheap_Role 1 week ago

That's essentially local to north America.

by fatima63 1 week ago

Coffee too... In the way people buy it from Starbucks.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

The kids wanted ice cream for breakfast one day, so I compared nutritional values of their favorite cereal and the ice cream. Sugar levels were pretty much the same, but the ice cream had more vitamins. I was a cool dad that morning 😂

by Anonymous 1 week ago

A "coffee" from most places is basically a shake. No; it's not only Starbucks. Most places.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Your average Starbucks latte has like 190 calories for a medium. Not really going to kill you. It's high but it's mostly just from milk. And that's about the unhealthiest coffee you can order (before you start adding anything to it at which point it's barely a coffee).

by Hefty_Expression 1 week ago

You don't think some people eat donuts for breakfast?

by creminmarilyne 1 week ago

Donuts, muffins, scones, danishes I absolutely ate stuff like that for breakfast when I was younger, not every day but I always considered it breakfast food

by irma95 1 week ago

Starbucks has entered the chat

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Ironic that Europeans frequently scoff at what Americans eat for breakfast (sugary breakfast cereals, donuts). Then you go to France or Italy and realize they eat chocolate filled or Nutella filled croissants for breakfast and sometimes some kind of mocha drink.

by Deborahschroede 1 week ago

Alternatively, this.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

In the Netherlands they literally put chocolate sprinkles on toast.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Italians and French yes, but Czechs and Poles don't. Where do people get the time? I'm glad I have the time to drink my tea

by paltenwerth 1 week ago

Not everyone. I don't even eat it 90% of the time. That's big breakfast propaganda.

by okey52 1 week ago

I can have a chocolate sundae for breakfast and everyone will think that's perfectly fine?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

No, but if you add a shot of espresso yes.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I'm cutting down on calories, so I've cut espresso out of my morning shot.

by Savings-Hearing-4827 1 week ago

So you're swapping espresso for depresso?

by enrico68 1 week ago

If you put it on a crêpe then absolutely

by bergealena 1 week ago

I say it's more like it's surprising a lot of breakfast foods aren't considered desserts. Like cereal and things like maple syrup/jams probably have a lot more sugars in them than standard components of later meals.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

That's just marketing trying to get you to buy breakfast food.

by Darbynader 1 week ago

Carbs and sugar give you energy. If you live an active lifestyle there's nothing wrong with having a doughnut for breakfast to give you some energy, as long as you make up for it by eating more protein after finishing your exercise or manual labour. If you work in an office and don't exercise then you definitely shouldn't.

by Excellent_Ship_5748 1 week ago

It's a slogan not a scientifically backed statement It is 100¢ not the most important

by Hoegerbrandon 1 week ago

Who eats dessert for breakfast? It is unthinkable for me.

by hilpertdock 1 week ago

I'm not American, I have never eaten those for breakfast.

by hilpertdock 1 week ago

What do you usually eat for breakfast in your country?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I have been eating breakfast maybe 1/5th of the time lately and honestly feel better. I dont feel like im over eating at lunch ever and have noticed no decrease in energy or awareness. Just my 2 cents.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Where do you live? Dessert is certainly not an acceptable breakfast where I live.

by Admirable_Seaweed_81 1 week ago

In America lots of people eat things like cream-filled chocolate donuts for breakfast which is basically dessert.

by Ill-Let6825 1 week ago

It's also completely acceptable and no problem at all to cut out breakfast completely, even recommended in some situations. What gives, right? Also, keep in mind that sweet breakfast is by far the most unhealthy way you can start the day.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Because people will say anything to justify their biases. Plus it just shows how easily manipulated we are by companies.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Only the most important one can get away with that.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

there is a lot of crap which we think is correct and normal but is really just a result of some sales campaign

by Downtown-Past 1 week ago

Completely acceptable? No it isn't.

by bentonstark 1 week ago

Ahh, Special K propaganda

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I'm sure fresh squeezed apple juice is fine It's not, it's more or less the same. Basically water + sugar + flavor and some vitamins. And traces of fiber that made it past filters. The only difference between that and soda is that sugar is added to water in soda, but in squeezed juice sugar was already in the water inside the fruit. Of course, there are other differences, but speaking from macronutrient perspective, juices are basically liquid candy.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

If advertising propaganda = "everyone says", you really need to reevaluate where you get your "common knowledge" from.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

That's propaganda to sell cereal

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It's super important to break your fast from the nights sleep. Not for the reasons kellog wants you to think, but because your body only stores enough energy for 8 hours of use from foods. So if you ate at 6pm, went to sleep at 9pm, and woke up at 5-6am your body has run out of stored energy from your last meal and you will feel under pains as a signal to let you know you need to eat something soon because your body has started converting stores of fat into energy and that's not really efficient

by NoAmphibian5740 1 week ago

...dessert's a very important meal as well.

by Feisty_Toe 1 week ago

It IS the most important meal because that's when you Break Fast. But western culture has manipulated people into thinking the important part of it is the actual eating part rather than the quality of what you eat. It's the first thing you're eating after a typically 8-14 hour fast and sets the tone for the rest of the day. People have gotten brainwashed into putting regular gasoline instead of premium unleaded into a Lamborghini

by Wonderful_Design 1 week ago

It's true! I ate breakfast for a few weeks one time, until I got a cut and it just wouldn't heal!

by Nearby_Goat 1 week ago

Funny but what I said is still true.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

What kind of dessert are you eating for breakfast?

by rolfsonorland 1 week ago

Sugary cereals, donuts, coffee with criminal amounts of sugar (see: Star Bucks, Dunkins, literally any coffee chain), any sort of "power bar", and probably more that didn't immediately come to mind are all c very common breakfast items, with as much or more sugar than a bowl of ice cream which is by and large considered a dessert item.

by schmittignacio 1 week ago

Cereal sure but I have never heard of donuts for breakfast. Either way the sugary breakfasts are common among kids. Not anything I hear almost any adult eating. Though maybe it's different in different places but it is not common where I live for adults to eat that much sugar for breakfast, but on the other hand half the adults I know skip breakfast and opt to eat 4ish hours later

by rolfsonorland 1 week ago

The propaganda machine strikes again.

by Cultural-Surprise773 1 week ago

It's the most important meal if it's your only meal

by Anonymous 1 week ago

That happens way more in other parts of the world like in France, where a toast with anything sweet will do it. On the other hand, in Mexico, for example, we usually take scrambled eggs with beans or the good old reliable: tacos. (Or Chilaquiles, Molletes, etc. yolo) Switzerland is like France but avec cheese instead of jelly. In Spain the toast is also very common, but it's more likely they eat it with jam or something rather than with something sweet. In USA, for what I've seen in movies, cereal will do it, or coffee with donuts (or just coffee), which is even more questionable haha. In Moroccos they have this kind of bread that goes amazing with jelly or honey that is very common for breakfast, but they also serve eggs in the morning. The tea is fabulous, btw! I'm from Mexico. I'm personally in favor of more balanced and salty non-sugary meals for breakfast, but for dessert anything is fine haha

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Socially acceptable yes, but practically it isn't a good idea.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It is equally weird that we decide certain foods should only be eaten at certain points in the day.

by Radiant-Letterhead52 1 week ago

That moment you realize every single thing told to you is a lie.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

An American has to have written this, in Europe we have healthy (and sometimes not so healthy) savory meals, fruit, oats etc.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It's not and it's not

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Because only idiots think it's true.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, because it's the first thing you eat. If you don't have breakfast, you don't eat.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

The most important meal is the one before you are physically very active to fuel that activity. For many that isn't breakfast for some it is. If you activity level is pretty consistent then meals are basically equal Also anyone that eats desserts for breakfast regularly is a moron

by Sea-Fix407 1 week ago

It's weirder that people gatekeep which desserts are acceptable: Donuts with you coffee? No problem! Pint of ice cream? What's wrong with you?!?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Everyone is saying this is just propaganda by big cereal, which is probably true. But I've noticed arab people tend to think breakfast is the most important meal of the day too and I assume their stance has less to do with capitalist propaganda.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Maybe you should think about other weird things that everyone (commercials) tell you.

by zacherykirlin 1 week ago

It's the most important meal of the day. Important doesn't necessarily mean healthiest.

by Mhaag 1 week ago

It's acceptable to eat whatever food you want whenever you want lol. Whether it's healthy or recommended is entirely separate.

by vreynolds 1 week ago

I believe eating fruit is good way to start the day. The enzymes help break-your-fast (literally what sleep is acting as a filler).

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Breakfast is "breaking the fast", essentially when you sleep at night you are fasting, going without food. No matter what the very first thing you eat to break that fast is breakfast. So eating a meal at all (breakfast) is the most important meal of the day.

by Courtneykoss 1 week ago

Well you can only not eat breakfast for about 3 weeks before you die, so I'd say it's pretty important.

by Davinyundt 1 week ago

If you eat ‘simple carbohydrates', which sugar falls into, you're better off having them in the morning because you're more likely to use up that energy during the day. I live in the uk though, and it's very rare for adults to eat anything non savoury for breakfast

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It's about getting calories to jump start your flesh engine for the day. That's why there's a saying if "eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a peasant (or whatever)" Breakfast gets your day started and gives you the fuel to make it to lunch or so. Lunch gets you the fuel to make it thriugh the rest of the day. Dinner you don't actually need to eat much. Physically you won't be doing much for what little time you have left awake and even less when asleep. This is partially why Americans are rather large. Sitting on 1k+ calory dinners all night long

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Sure it is the dinners, not the massive amounts of sugar we eat throughout the entire day.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

You can easily go without any food for hours after waking up. There are tons of people (no pun intended) who don't eat breakfast at all and there is absolutely zero issues with that. It's all about average daily calorie intake. Nothing else. Devour food like a pig combined with such intense physical activity of moving your fat ass from one chair at home to another chain on wheels in the garage and then say "I don't understand why I'm fat". That's the way!

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Only in America. You won't hear that in other continents or countries.

by Competitive_Sell 1 week ago

I only eat when I want toeat and only eat chicken wings. Breakfast can kiss my nips.

by Anonymous 1 week ago