+27 You don't need friends once you are married. amirite?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

God that sounds like quite the miserable existence.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Why?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

How does your wife feel about this opinion? She has never expressed anything negative about it. Like she goes to Yoga or Zumba with her friends, I usually play guitar in my office or take our kids comic book hunting. She has never said anything negative.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Fair enough man. I'm not married and don't have kids but a friend of mine is married with a little girl and the three of us go to a guitar convention an hour away once a year together. I really enjoy it and I think they do too. But if you're happy, you're happy!

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I have no time. She has time to have friends because of her work schedule she can do these types of things when I work. When I am off doing things with my friends takes away time from my family and kids.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

BUT; Have you ever verbalized this to her? That you feel she has no need for those activities because you are married?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

You never need friends. But they're nice to have, and I'm keeping mine, even though I'm in a long term committed relationship. Because I'm a person who has that choice.

by aliyah65 1 week ago

You do need friends or at least some kind of ally.

by Bernierjacinto 1 week ago

I think they meant basic survival need. Unless you eat or drink or build a home out of your friends, they don't fit the physical hierarchy of needs to live. Emotional/mental? I'd argue yeah, people need people to stay sane and productive (even that's arguable as hermits DO exist, but talking in general and not outliers). But just to survive, nah.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

IMO, when people say they don't need friends, they've never experienced real friendship. My hunch is that the OPs past friendships we're likely activity-based and situational.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

My hunch is that the OPs past friendships we're likely activity-based and situational. We were all friends from Middle school through college. Never really made many friends after that.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Exactly.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I don't understand your point.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It sounds like you're bad at friendship.

by Eulaliabarton 1 week ago

That's actually really common. It's the fact that he has no interest in seeing any of them that's strange.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

That all sounds...sad.

by Legitimate-Mirror 1 week ago

this sounds sad. not every married couple has kids

by Alert_Objective 1 week ago

No and I would expect ones who don't probably have more social things they do.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Dude blink twice if you need help

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Tell us you are pussywhipped without telling us you are pussywhipped

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Why are you blaming the wife? I bet she'd love it if he left the house for a bit. I think men need to start socializing with each other again anyway.

by Mobile-Prompt-5977 1 week ago

I haven't heard someone say something like that since the 90s.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

You just told us you havent talked to men in 10 years... Duh

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I didn't say I have not talked to men in 10 years, I work with a bunch of men. Just don't go out socially with them, or hand out anymore.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

So you have your wife be the only source of socialization?. Do you ‘let' her have friends

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It's not a permission thing. She has friends and they do stuff. Working full time I don't have time for friends or when I have time off I want to be with my family.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

You need better friends.

by weissnatshaina 1 week ago

Well I suspect if I didn't get married or have kids I would be hanging with my friends more...

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Yep. I feel sorry for you. I get this is your opinion but it makes me wish better for you in your life. I can't imagine focusing every waking second on a single person when there are so many amazing people that can help and support you. I guess you'd know if you had them.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Let's say you have some frustration to vent, or need a third party advice. You just ask your co-workers? Strangers on the internet?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Oh… do you have people that don't just look around awkwardly when you try and get support?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

If the dept of the friendship dont fit the depth of the request, awkward looks are indeed a possibility.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

You just ask your co-workers? Strangers on the internet? Probably.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

If you are satisfied with generic answers from someone who barely knows you, or not at all, I hope that your relationship never face challenges more serious than a household chores disagreement.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Lol if you want to be up your spouses' ass 24/7 fine but the rest of us do need friends so speak for yourself.

by Chance-Win9117 1 week ago

You're whole identity is attached to your s.o and marriage. I don't wish anything to happen but if something did you need a support net.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

First, you're assuming any married couple has to have kids. Take that out of the equation, and you've got a lot of extra free time Second, at any age, maintaining friendships is very healthy and important. It sounds like you and your "friends" aren't making the effort to remain friends

by Kyler29 1 week ago

Well yea if we didn't have kids that changes a whole lot.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

This is like saying you don't need solid food, blended up liquid is okay. Yeah, you won't die, but a real meal would be better

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I think my dad was like this. He didn't really have any friends that he hung out with or any sort of social gatherings. But, instead, he loved socializing and doing tons of things with the family. We'd go on all sorts of trips and experiences and also hang out with other family a lot as well. So, he was really big on family time, adventure, and togetherness. In the meantime, he loved watching sports.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Good luck when your Partner gets hit by the number 1 bus on the way to work and dies, and you are suddenly very, very alone ...

by Important_Escape 1 week ago

What if you get divorced or your spouse dies?

by Friendly_Coyote_1276 1 week ago

Then I would have to focus on being a single father and making sure the kids have their needs met. I would also have to even work more to support everything.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Sounds horrible

by Anonymous 1 week ago

That's so sad. I'm married with a kid. I make time to see and talk to friends, as does my husband. Sure, it's not as often as before, but your marriage and family aren't the only relationships you should strive to upkeep. I just saw one of my best friends of 6/7 years for the first time in a year and a half. She drove 5 hours to spend the weekend with me. Outside of my husband and kid, she is one of the most important people in my life. Keep your friends around.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Sure, it's not as often as before, but your marriage and family aren't the only relationships you should strive to upkeep Yea we all just kind of fell out of contact with each other. I mean my old best friend moved far and so we never really can get together anymore.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Obviously you will have less time for everyone but "no time for friends" or "you don't need friends" is a quite dramatic approach and I doubt it's healthy. But it's understandable, that's why I like to combine my work & hobbies with my friends if possible. Sounds like you just don't have anything common with your old friends anymore or you don't really have a life outside of your spouse, work and kids. Many times in relationships like this the spouse is also narcissistic and has gradually cut out all support networks of the person.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

possible. Sounds like you just don't have anything common with your old friends anymore or you don't really have a life outside of your spouse, work and kids. That sounds really accurate, we don't really have much in common anymore. Many times in relationships like this the spouse is also narcissistic and has gradually cut out all support networks of the person. I have never really met a narcissist that I know of. My wife didn't have anything to do with us falling out of contact, we all just kind of faded away from each other and talked less and less.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

This is really stupid. Yeah, you absolutely need friends, probably more so once you have a family. Spouse (parents) need a social life outside their homes, if only just to keep some measure of sanity. Not every home (family) life is a chore that you're always busy with kids and a wife, or husband. Many families, like mine, were nice calm families where we actually would go out with other families, ie friends from work, for various events. Having friends over for a BBQ while our kids played, socialization for the kids that wasn't school related is also paramount. Being okay with no socialization in the past 10 years and for the future, will 100% be your downfall.

by Specific-Student4326 1 week ago

Being okay with no socialization in the past 10 years and for the future, will 100% be your downfall. How so? Like sure I have friends who have kids that are very young, mine are older, and when we do BBQ things that is when we gather our extended family to see them, in-laws and people like that. Even my wife's friends usually don't attend events like that.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Being married doesn't automatically mean having children. Having a partner also isn't a fulltime job. There is plenty of free time between work and being a husband/wife. If you don't want friends, that's fine, and I don't think anyone would argue that friends are needed, but using your free time to enjoy yourself is essential to your mental health, and many people enjoy whatever they want to do more in the company of friends.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I mean between working a full time job, having a family and doing all those activities there is very very little time to even consider hanging out with friends.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

If you think friends are just for drinking at a bar or reliving your college days, you've got a sad view of friendship.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

That's really the only experience I have had with friends.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I'm just wondering if you have ever had any real friends, I can't see how you could come to this conclusion if you had.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

What if your wife leaves you though?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

The urge to call everything stupid here mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. I agree, but it depends on the person of course I don't care for anyone else your opinion isn't stupid it's a difference of people.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

This is exactly correct. You owe it to your family to reduce, drastically, the time you spend with anyone else. Be at home.

by cartertoby 1 week ago

Yep. And also having a full time job and then doing family stuff when doe one have time for friends anyway? Like I am tired after work, I don't want to meet up at the club anymore after work and my week ends are packed.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Why are you acting like the only time to see friends is at the club or bar?

by lomaankunding 1 week ago

Well, that was what we mostly did, we didn't like go and visit museums or pick up litter together. It was mostly going out as a group or I would go to games with them.

by Anonymous 1 week ago