+36 You casually assume every balcony you step onto is stable, amirite?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

In fact, I'm afraid of most balconies, I always imagine them falling if I step on them. ​ And I never saw a balcony accident.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

During a construction project, three balconies clapped together. Felt like an earth quake.

by ArticleGlad 1 week ago

I have a different problem. Despite being a fatass and no matter how tall and sturdy the railing is my brain goes: "The wind is gonna blow me off the edge!"

by DryDraft 1 week ago

I don't - I step on balconies cautiously

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I also assume that every horse barn is stable.

by Educational_Foot 1 week ago

I'd put stock in that

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Not me, I have a fear of heights, and I always feel balconies are a death trap

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Plus it's harder to assess if the floor is safe due to it being enclosed. Balconies- you can check from the outside and see damages. Floors? Nope, one weak spot away from falling through.

by Puzzleheaded_Bid 1 week ago

I love heights. I step on balconies and immediately say "don't threaten me with a good time".

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Nope! I have an overwhelming fear that the surfaces that support me will break/crumble beneath my feet.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I have seen someone fall through a balcony and it look like the man being pulled through the raft from Creepshow 2. I always check that deck.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I don't. I stayed at a San Diego Airbnb once and the patio was maybe 2 feet by 4 feet. I stepped on it and felt like I was going to puke lol. Definitely didn't look stable

by kingbrenna 1 week ago

I don't "assume". I can clearly see the horses.

by Desperate_Earth 1 week ago

This is because we pay taxes and the government uses that money to hire building inspectors.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I've fallen through the same deck 3 times. That's all it took for me to learn my lesson…for that deck

by Anonymous 1 week ago

jokes on you i'm hoping it fails

by rhackett 1 week ago

I've been fat my whole life. I don't assume anything untested is stable Or strong enough to hold me.

by Fit-Option-8297 1 week ago

In general, people tend to assume that anything done by professionals and regulated by their government is reasonably safe

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Unless you are in Japan

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Japan?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Dr Scott!!?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

earthquake prone

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Balconies in Japan are likely built better than anywhere else

by ornchet 1 week ago

Fair point lol

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I don't. I step onto any given balcony cautiously.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Maybe you do but I've seen the footage of the Hyatt Regency walkway collapse

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I assume whoever went onto it last was heavier

by Ritchieshaina 1 week ago

I in fact do not assume this 100%….. but about 98% I guess.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Very unpleasant story; I worked in a place where someone came to the office to see the roof because I think they were gonna renovate, they stepped out onto the fire escape and idk how old it was but it just collapsed beneath them, they managed to catch themself and pull them self up but a part fell down to the street and it… didn't end well. To my understanding once stair fell and it hit 3 different people. One of my coworkers went down there and when he came back he was like staring into the distance for a while because he'd never seen so much blood. Now whenever I'm walking around tall buildings I look up occasionally to see if there are any fire escapes above me jic

by Extreme_Regular_2994 1 week ago

Wrong, as a general contractor I am always looking for flaws. Plus I have seen what happens 1st hand when they collapse on people and/or with people on them...

by One-Bookkeeper-2685 1 week ago

My MIL had a relative who died falling off a balcony. She's never assumed they are safe - or decks, for that matter.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

No, I don't. It's a nightmare.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

No I don't! I'm always worried they're gonna fall out from under me.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

no i don't im really paranoid

by Anonymous 1 week ago

READ WITH CAUTION: I know a guy that was on a balcony that collapsed. His bathing suit area was caught on a broken piece of wood or something and the way it was described to me it sounded like a butterflied steak. He's ok now afaik but his pp will never be the same.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

This is actually great life advice

by ukessler 1 week ago

And every bridge you drive over

by Anonymous 1 week ago

thanks for ruining them for me for the rest of my life

by ShotPerspective 1 week ago

I feel like I prob would if I ever stepped on one where I live but the only one I ever stepped on was in Pakistan so I didn't really trust it and I quickly stepped back inside LOL

by emclaughlin 1 week ago

I mean, yes? If I didn't think it was stable I wouldn't step onto it and thus it wouldn't be in the pool of data you're drawing this conclusion from.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Although if the balcony has been around for 200 years, then it's got a pretty good track record for not collapsing, no?

by Dazzling-Text 1 week ago

Or it's overdue for one 👀

by Kcronin 1 week ago

In Europe a 200 years old balcony is a young balcony

by ornchet 1 week ago