+38 Everyone is really skilled at texting and driving. Until they're not. amirite?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It was a lot easier back in the day with physical buttons. Once you memorize how many times you have to hit a button for the desired letter, you never have to take your eyes off the road. Still stupid though.

by Prestigious-Hawk-289 1 week ago

I used to be able to text in class super well without being detected by my teacher because I had the buttons memorized

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Wow, I forgot about having to hide to text in class... What a time.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I could t9 text on my motorcycle back in highschool. Stupid isn't even the word for that lmao

by Anonymous 1 week ago

T9 was op

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Yep, press your knee against the wheel and you even make turns. Stupid af, but I'll admit I did it all the time in high school especially.

by PotentialAd3461 1 week ago

I can do that on my smart phone with no button feed back. It only sends weird texts to my boss 3/10 times, not bad

by Equivalent_Round 1 week ago

I used to text T9 while driving. Feel for the key, do my tap(s), lightning fast glance down to see if it was the right character, repeat. It was a pain in the ass, slow, but it was safe. I think a lot of the danger of doing X while driving is the doing of X but doing X as a higher priority than driving. I trust some people to sew a button on their shirt and drive than others to have a hands free phone call.

by Koepptamia 1 week ago

Respectfully, it was not safe. Car accidents happen in milliseconds. Even a lightning fast glance is enough time to miss a car shooting out in front of you than you otherwise would have seen. The danger of doing things while you drive is twofold: Taking your eyes off the road and missing something you would have seen otherwise. Thinking about the thing you're doing and not driving. We get too complacent driving because we do it everyday, but driving well takes a lot of attention and thinking about what the other drivers are doing around you. It's always fine until it isn't. Sincerely, an EMT who has watched many many people swerve in front of the ambulance despite the giant flashing lights and the loud as hell siren.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Which is also not safe. We tested it in a simulator as part of my truck training. One group had to answer texts and fumble with equipment while driving, the other didn't. I killed two simulated pedestrians that day, and that's better than most people did. Control group barely hit anything.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

If you are doing X while driving, you've already deemed it a higher priority than driving.... Otherwise, why would you not just wait, until you were not driving?

by Roel08 1 week ago

Dude keyboards now are just qwerty…you should have that memorized

by Adach 1 week ago

The issue is not the location of the keys. If I had a keyboard in front me then I could type without looking at the keyboard. The issue is that with touch screens there is no haptic feedback as to where you are on the keyboard.

by Cummeratabrando 1 week ago

I get that, I can type without looking at my phone but if I have to erase something / know I mess up I'm checking the screen hahaha

by Adach 1 week ago

Well sure Im not staring into my keyboard either, buts thats not exactly blind typing, not like what was possible with physical keys. Where you could be sure of what you were saying without needing to check

You type on a computer without looking at the screen or the keys?

by Adach 1 week ago

Im saying that I dont. That I cant. That is would be a difficult and unreliable skill to learn. Unlike when using physical buttons. When I said that dont stare at my keyboard I meant that I do not look at the letters but rather where I am typing, like you

Sorry, it was a question between the two because I was confused by what you meant before… I think I worded it poorly

by Adach 1 week ago

One of my favorite tweets from Jim Gaffigan: A lot of people against tweeting and driving. I don't see what the big

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I hate it. I hate when people do it with me in the car. I hate when I see people driving by doing it. I just hate it, period. Seriously, if you do it, I hate you a little too. You know who you are.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It annoys me. But what I hate is when someone who is riding with me is damn near demanding I look at their phone. I've gotten pretty rude about it these days. "There is absolutely 0% chance I am going to look at that video/photo right now. Show me later."

by Anonymous 1 week ago

And some people get ANNOYED when you say something about it. Like, either give me your phone to text, dictate your text to Siri/AI, or wait until we're not driving. I do a lot of dumb things myself, but I'm not willfully endangering others just so I can look away from the road and see a 😍

by jaymecarter 1 week ago

You hate a majority of drivers then (PS: I agree with you 100%)

by Pkuhlman 1 week ago

I think you just needed to vent, my friend. I've no desire to check my phone when driving, and I don't condone it by any means. But this ain't the person that you had to deal with!

by Alannadenesik 1 week ago

Well I didn't mean "you YOU" except the first sentence. The rest was just to general idiots who might have been reading this while looking down at their phone while driving. 😂😂

by Anonymous 1 week ago

My pleasure!😂

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Kinda like a saying I heard about death. "You can beat death 1000 times, but death only has to beat you once!"

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Reminds me a lot like fighting a boss in video game. They can defeat you a 1000 times but you have to beat them just once.

by ivahgrimes 1 week ago

A few weeks ago, I dove out of the way (walking across a crosswalk) because a vehicle turning was about to run me over. The driver was texting and had no awareness, even after the fact, that she had nearly killed me. She would likely report that she's skilled at texting and driving, but has no idea what's already happened. It's maddening.

by ToothAlternative 1 week ago

Yeah they're just being stupid and careless. I don't care if you're Max Verstappem you're putting people at risk.

by rozelladavis 1 week ago

I want to know what supposed class cops take that allows them to do so responsibly and take it myself.

by bartelljaquelin 1 week ago

Cops cant text and drive. The same rules apply to them. Now, interactive multi-display dash consoles are a different story. Very safe to use those while driving if your a cop /s

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Rules Are For Little People 101

by jonesbradley 1 week ago

Just don't do it. It can always wait.

by Alialindgren 1 week ago

More like everyone is lucky at texting and driving. Until they're not

by Fresh_Long_7365 1 week ago

I completely disagree. Lots of people are pretty poor at texting and driving as soon as they start and are obviously just managing not to crash. Managing not to crash /= really skilled.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

No one is as good at texting and driving as they are driving without distractions.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Wrong. I never text and drive because I know I suck at it.

by ethylschneider 1 week ago

It's not a "skill" humans will ever be able to fully be good at. You simply cannot read, type and react to traffic that changes within seconds all at once.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

What does that even mean? If I was a cop and saw someone driving and looking down and not being alert and looking at the road then I'd pull them over under the assumption that they were rolling a joint. Did you mean they aren't holding the phone eye level while trying to drive?? Why else would they be looking down?? Why rolling a joint, of course!!

by Anonymous 1 week ago

No one is skilled at texting and driving. Just don't do it.

by According_Box9989 1 week ago

But that's not true, not everyone is skilled at it

by hagenesayana 1 week ago

we should not be doing this

by Anonymous 1 week ago

No one is skilled at texting and driving and anyone who does is honestly just an idiot.

by phyllisrogahn 1 week ago

I just use the voice assistant now. Don't need to touch or even look at the phone.

by Connneva 1 week ago

Skilled the same way people plummeting to their death are skilled at falling.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Same goes for drinking and driving.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Not I. I have a dashboard mount for my phone and I'm reasonably confident I can flash a quick glance to see who is texting me. If it needs an immediate response I pull over.

by Zestyclose-Feed-2291 1 week ago

Texting and driving is easy not to do. Or look at your phone at traffic lights or during rush hour. Never have done it. The age I prolly would have done it we didn't have smartphones. Just flip phones and the likes.

by Same_Worldliness 1 week ago

The same applies to day trading...

by neomahudson 1 week ago

Everyone is skilled at not dying. Until they do.

by Spencer20 1 week ago

Yep. This is how my friend's mom got killed while out jogging.

by Ill-Care8088 1 week ago

There is no such thing as being skilled at texting and driving. You can't get better at driving without looking at the road. It doesn't matter how briefly you look away from the road each time you start typing. Eventually, something is going to happen at just the right moment, you won't see it, and bad things will happen. If you hurt or kill yourself doing this, that's unfortunate because you have a family and people who are going to miss you, but at least it's a self-contained tragedy. If you hurt or kill someone else, you've really messed up. That's not fair. An innocent person just going about their day has been harmed because of your carelessness.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I miss phones with buttons. I had one that would read me the messages and I could type one handed without looking.

by cheyanne51 1 week ago

I miss cars with buttons

by jonesbradley 1 week ago

Thankfully my steering wheel has a button that lets me skip to the next track on Spotify because if I had to do it with the touch screen every time, I probably wouldn't still be alive.

by jaymecarter 1 week ago

Smirks while still driving a car from 2000. Even the touchscreen has buttons, granted that's because touch screens weren't that good back then lol

by No_Carpenter 1 week ago

back in the early days, you could text without looking at your phone. Predictive text was really good. Except for some reason the word "coal" would frequently pop up". And "ducking". Coal ducking.

by LingonberryLarge 1 week ago

Problem on the road is never your driving. You can handle a vehicle from point a to b pretty easily without a huge AMT of training. It's the other drivers. Lol. As that saying goes, "graveyards are full of people who had the right of way/were in the right."

by reichertfredy 1 week ago

True. If you remove all other cars, cyclists, pedestrians and animals, yeah you can drive without paying attention. As long as you're not alone on a fenced off track, you should probably pay attention...

by Anonymous 1 week ago

No, some people might be skilled sure. But most of them are just lucky...until they aren't

by Fgreenfelder 1 week ago

I'm not good at it. The only times I have were on empty roads to send off a quick "on my way", which autocorrects from "omw", I just can't do it, I feel terrible and really nervous that someone will come out of nowhere. So now I just wait until I hit a red light. Can't imagine doing it in traffic.

by Noemiwaters 1 week ago

I'm not, so I don't do it. Anyway, claiming you're good at doing anything while you're driving is idiotic.

by Anastacio16 1 week ago

Someone told me duringbsafety training that you shouldn't text and drive or even talk on a hands-free system because humans suck at multitasking. I disagree with that very strongly. Most people can maintain full attention on one task while competently achieving three to four others. The difficulty lies in that driving a car requires the following tasks: -Avoiding hitting other cars -Looking forward to see what you need to do in the near future lane/turn-wise -Handling gas and brake -Handling gears and clutch (optional) -Paying attention to mirrors Oh look, that's four tasks right there.

by Hopeful_Demand 1 week ago

Everyone is really skilled at breathing, until they're not. What's your point?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Why people don't use speech to text is beyond me.

by nolanaxel 1 week ago

Same with drinking and driving…

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Same with drunk driving.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

You can still be really skilled but when you make a mistake that's when stuff happens. It's not about being skilled but knowing that the risk is too high to trust people's lives to "a skill".

by rozelladavis 1 week ago

Yes…everything is a certain way until it's not anymore….I still don't understand why this saying caught on.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

A few people can do it. But like gun and dog owners, everyone considers themselves responsible.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

That's my point. A few people can do it. Until they can't. Same with gun and dog owners; the longer you sail the seas, the more likely you are to hit a rock.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

That statement works for everything involved with driving. "Everyone is really skilled at braking and steering. Until they're not".

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Nothing is poisonous until something is.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

You can be skilled at something and still mess up. When it comes to texting and driving, practice makes perfect :)

by aubreegislason 1 week ago

It's an overblown issue and I'm done pretending it's not. It's more dangerous to have a conversation with your passenger than text on the phone.

by Fragrant_Spend 1 week ago

You can have a conversation with a passenger while keeping your eyes on the road.. not so much with texting.

by Blickhenri 1 week ago

I really hope that when your arrogant ass gets in an accident while texting the other person isn't hurt.

by Far_Independence6182 1 week ago

Until it isn't

by Anonymous 1 week ago

You are part of the problem

by Anonymous 1 week ago