-34 I don't buy the "we will live on mars soon" stuff, amirite?

by johnssteve 1 week ago

Nobody buys that. It's why it's considered science FICTION

by Cschimmel 1 week ago

it's considered science FICTION Billionaires: "Oh look, they still believe we're not secretly investing some of our money into cryogenics and advanced rocket science lol"

by JuniorExtension 1 week ago

John Carter Lives On Mars's. Martian Man Hunter Lives On Mars. But those are fictional scenarios .

by Anonymous 1 week ago

But I buy science fiction the most

by Anonymous 1 week ago

People are optimistic for the wrong reason

by johnssteve 1 week ago

People are optimistic that it will happen SOME DAY. Nobody believes it will happen any time soon and anyone that says otherwise is trying to sell you something

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Yes you're crazy

by Anonymous 1 week ago

That guy is the CEO of one of the largest aviation company. It's not just some random dude. Go read up the Secret Space Program by Michael Salla. Lots of info and evidence.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

But he is though. Elon is just a man sitting his room at night angry with the internet too.

by Individual_Cake_4196 1 week ago

Elon Musk single handedly destroyed the illusion that CEOs are intelligent people.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

" in general so that we can always be around to solve problems...." To solve problems that we've created, of course. We're a failed species and the sooner we're gone, the better. Can you imagine what a perfect place Earth would still be if we had never soiled it with our presence?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

We are still toddlers on the universal civilization timeline. Cut us some slack. We just learned to fly like 120 years ago. We have come a long way fast. Any animal would put itself though the paces when it tries to shed its basic survival instincts and evolve into a highly intelligent, specialized civilization. I guarantee any superior alien race would look at us and go, "Ahh remember those days?...When we didn't know what we were doing yet."

by Winfieldbauch 1 week ago

Can you imagine what a perfect place Earth would still be if we had never soiled it with our presence? Perfect for what? Without us around, nobody would even be able to make a judgement like this. Your point is self-defeating.

by Moorewilla 1 week ago

You don't value the meta virtue and light of human consciousness, do you?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

1940 people were probably saying the same things about landing on the moon and then 30 years later it happend. Actually making the whole Mars habitable will take ages. But putting a few humans on Mars and letting them live their for a while will most likley happen in our life time.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

The likelihood we'll inhabit another planet is at least 1000 years away if we're lucky.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Nah, not that far off. Give it a 100 years and we will probably have a base on Mars, or at the very least the Moon.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Remindme! [100 years]

by Anonymous 1 week ago

We don't deserve another planet

by Weird_Cycle 1 week ago

You are right. We are humans and we only deserve Earth. It's basically paradise and we developed along with it. It's the only way a civilization can thrive.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

"We" not us but not you.

by Commercial-Party 1 week ago

That gives me hope

by johnssteve 1 week ago

Like with many things it won't happen, not in our lifetime nor pur kids' lifetime. We can't even fully perfect green energy, and they think we're going to be living on Mars? They're still barely getting autonomous rovers to cover Mars. The time it takes to get there is 9 months.....9 months one way. So that means for anyone to even attempt to go there to start building a colony, you're talking about people who would no doubt be away from their families for at least a few years. And that's if they don't run into any snags which we all know there will be. Nobody is going to do that, it's too much to ask of someone who isn't single, has zero family and no life.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

someone who isn't single, has zero family and no life. Three finger salute: I volunteer as tribute.

by Sfeil 1 week ago

It's far more feasible financially and logistically to just make Earth a better place to live. There is nothing on Mars for us.

by jonbarrows 1 week ago

What makes you think we aren't already?

by Willa54 1 week ago

Last I heard, that's a one way experiment. Anyone thinking humans are just going to migrate to Mars en masse has the brain of a ham sandwich, and is likely a total population of 12 people.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Best wishes.

by Willa54 1 week ago

Absolutely no one says we don't need earth for long

by Prestigious_Cod 1 week ago

Space missions have way more different benefits then just being rich mans adrenaline

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I don't think the goal is terraforming Mars, at least short-term. We want a settlement there.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Even that takes more effort than solving current global warming issues.

by johnssteve 1 week ago

I think what they are saying is that it ain't happening

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It will 100% happen given enough time.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Keep telling yourself that

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Not even in a million years?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

We won't be around in a million years

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I mean, NASA has active plans to build a long term research facility on Mars and are running simulations on such a thing as we speak, I don't think a "settlement" is too far flung. Now, terraforming or a massive Sandy Cheeks tree dome type human civilization on Mars? Ehhh, ask my great great Grandchildren and tell me in a seance how that's going.

by Lbeahan 1 week ago

Is Mars even a good terraforming candidate if it's even remotely possible?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Scientifically that's extremely challenging given there's no ozone layer to protect us from the harmful solar radiation. Plus there's the logistics problem. At least for now we don't have the technological advancement and progression to start a settlement there even for a short term the success to failure ratio is extremely wise extremely leaning towards failure. For now atleast. Actually moon would be better for a colony. It's really near and aside from the lunar dust the logistical problem isn't as difficult as getting it to Mars.

by Reymundomurray 1 week ago

'Soon' is an interesting word to use here. If you're basing the definition of that word on a timeline relative to the human lifespan, then it probably isn't that soon. I don't think that anyone is arguing we'll be able to establish a real permanent settlement there for at least another century+, but we gotta start working out the details at some point. Because it's also true that 'soon' we will all die. Spreading ourselves out is literally the only thing we can possibly do to prevent that from happening, and Mars is naturally going to be destination #1.

by Skyla24 1 week ago

Do you want double the chance of going extinct or double the chance of surviving

by Prestigious_Cod 1 week ago

Terraforming mars is a pipe dream. It would probably be easier to build space stations orbiting some planet.

by Competitive_Neat1589 1 week ago

Not unpopular. You're right.

by Obvious_Pen 1 week ago

Ok we get it, Dr. Tyson!!

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I don't think anyone is buying that right now. However I can see the first human Mars landing happening in my lifetime.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Me either

by Quiet-Brush-360 1 week ago

Agreed. If we have the tech to colonize another barren planet and make it livable, we 1000% could make Earth livable and far easier. But I also don't think we should limit ourselves to just Earth.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Imo let the billionaires go, hopefully they'll take some of the people who profit off of this planet's destruction and we can finally fix this world without them in our way.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

because the people that have control will be dead by then

by Cautious-Athlete 1 week ago

broo.. no one is saying you or anyone you know will be invited. It will be for a select few for the first very looong time

by weimannjamaal 1 week ago

Yeah. I would never, and I mean never, would voluntarily get into that list.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Considering it would take YEARS to reach mars, a manned mission is still incredibly far away, for various impossible (with current tech) reasons. So i guess i was running off of real old data, not years but 7-9 months.

by Kayliehilll 1 week ago

It takes 9 months to reach Mars.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I think its a dream we would be unable to realize for a very long time. The sheer amount of resources to get just a livable atmosphere let alone somehow getting the plant life to have adequate water. Its a difficult problem to solve. The biggest thing trying to start any of this up is the sheer amount of radiation that would be actively destroying even the plants dna. It would just be a very difficult thing to pull off and people wildly underestimate just how miraculous it is we are even here at all

by Vprice 1 week ago

My opinion is that manned space travel has its limits, and one day we'll accept that as humans. Like, maybe there are advanced species out there, but space travel just isn't part of their culture.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Think we'd live on the moon first, but what do I know?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

In the very unlikely event humanity survives we are eventually going to have to go a lot further than Mars to live. Once the sun is gone, Earth and even a terraformed Mars would be unlivable. Getting to space, though, is going to be a long and arduous process and we're literally in the same stage as when single celled organisms appeared on earth.

by shanie33 1 week ago

So long as we don't off ourselves via war or depletion of resources, the most likely causes of extinction, technologically we're waaaaaaaaay ahead of the death of the sun deadline for populating elsewhere in the universe.

by Altruistic-Team 1 week ago

No one is saying we're going to live on mars soon

by Anonymous 1 week ago

it's been said by actual astro physicists before, if the technology to terraform mars existed, you can just use that to fix earth. all this, we're going to mars nonsense is to distract you from the amount of actual garbage private companies have put up in space and for the ego of billionaires that need to be taxed at 90 percent. the solar radiation alone would fry you in a walking cancerous root, the soil on mars isn't fit for growing anything. let's say, you miraculously solve the radiation problem (you won't) you have to deal with the logistics, you would have to bring everything conceivable a person might need, food, water, nitrogens/soil/seeds, plumbing, air, energy production, habit creation. in one ship, the weight alone per person would make it impossible, that and you have a very short window to successfully launch this ship and any other supply ship or else you'll have to wait for 26 months for the next window.

by Suspicious-Result 1 week ago

I imagine it'll happen at some point if we don't cause our own complete annihilation. I doubt it'll happen in my lifetime though.

by WritingLate 1 week ago

You don't need to terraform Mars to live on it, we can hide in underground bunkers same as here

by Anonymous 1 week ago

No matter how bad it gets here, Mars is worse. Almost no amount of ruination on Earth could make it as bad as Mars (even the aftermath of a nuclear war would have better odds for those who survived the bombs themselves). The appeal of Mars is a place away from The Poors like us (well, like me, at least). That's it.

by Penelopeflatley 1 week ago

Nor do I. I think it's decades further away than what NASA hopes.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I don't think the idea of living on mars has anything to do with climate change ?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Yeah nobody believes it

by Anonymous 1 week ago

who said this was happening soon? we may visit in the next hundred years.

by Cold-Cable-8826 1 week ago

Has anyone credible actually made that claim?

by idellaschowalte 1 week ago

Yeah no thanks. You know they'll charge you half your paycheck for air and gravity

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I think the problem here is "soon". It's more a "maybe in 20 generations or so" and calling that "soon" is weird.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

And even if it would work. How will it end?Most colonies in human history have ended up seperating. The same would happen Mars at some point.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I honestly think all the mars tech we see, habitats, tesla batteries, boring company its all to make underground cities on earth. Much more likely than Mars to me

by Negative_Impact 1 week ago

Deserts, Ice sheets like antarctica, etc. have conditions million times more suitable for human survival than other planets. Makes zero sense to mould other planets for survival.

by Extension-Stuff 1 week ago

True thing

by johnssteve 1 week ago

:)

by Severe_Ambition_9973 1 week ago

I love this guy so much.

by johnssteve 1 week ago

I say we're at a minimum 250 years from even building a solid station on Mars n then the building of the equipment another 100 then 500 just to start changing Mars another 500 before gets going the another 1000 before helmets can be taken off

by Boyerenos 1 week ago

The guy that is trying can't even build a truck properly so I think you are right.

by Fhodkiewicz 1 week ago

WTF would we even do to the Earth to make it LESS habitable than Mars.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

😂right?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

By "we" they mean Elon plus a chosen few.

by NoRide 1 week ago

This is the King of all "just because you can do something doesn't mean you should" examples.

by arely36 1 week ago