+35 The quality of a smartphone is irrilevant, amirite?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

You could also save money by buying a TV from like 2005 you don't technically need a 16k oled ai upscaling tv, it's a luxury purchase most the time. Battery life does have benefits beyond luxury though that can be worth the extra money for certain people

by Kamren17 1 week ago

99% of the time bringing a portable charger that allows you to charge the phone completely 3 times is way less expensive than a phone with a good battery though.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

And that takes extra space, necessity to carry a charger with you and there is always a risk to forget either of them.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Spoken like someone who never owned a low-grade smartphone

by welchkay 1 week ago

Eh. Depends on your definition of low grade. I usually buy phones that used to cost 1000+ dollars… when their price drops below 400

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I miss replacable batteries

by Anonymous 1 week ago

You know that you don't have to buy the higb end phone. Any phone above 600€ is overpriced. This difference in quality compared to the kid range phone (300-600€) is really negligible. If you look at phones that release for less that 400€ you need to weigh what options are important for you since these devices usually make some cost cutting. For almost all people this doesn't matter though, since they neither need the most recent soc nor do they need the high end one. If you buy a high end phone and don't do compute intensive tasks on your phone, you completely overspent on that device.

by Loud_North 1 week ago

Agreed 100%

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Sorry but that's just false. Unless you're looking at those pics on a tiny tiny screen, you can't possibly NOT notice the difference between a picture taken with, say, a Galaxy S5 and a Galaxy S23. Higher resolution, more options, overall better quality and it's not even close. Then, if you want to nitpick about the gap between 2023 Flaghship and 2024 Flagship not being worth the upgrade and the few hundreds extra you'll have to fork out, fair enough. Which is also why most users either purchase second-hand flagships or wait for the next one to come out to get the older version.

by pearlie24 1 week ago

Hard disagree. I purchased a cheap Chinese smartphone (for it's super-duper Dolby speakers) and boy was it a brick! Took 30 seconds to do anything, sluggish touch, delayed touch when asking it to perform any less-than-basic operation. Sure, the sound was loud and crisp, but it was the only thing it did fine. Then, yeah, a mid-range phone (4-500 bucks) is likely adequate for most users and the Flagship costing a grand is overkill most of the time. However there are some instances where the extra money is worth it. As you said, cameras make a huge difference. But also it being future-proof and safe from planned obsolescence for a bit longer. My backup S20 is still receiving updates and is holding its own (if not for some burned pixels, but that's my fault), whereas cheaper phones would have already shown their age and probably been axed from the update list two years ago.

by pearlie24 1 week ago

Smartphones are now mature class of product. Decent mid-range phone is now satisfactory for most people to keep for years. This is why companies now try to come up with all sort of ultimately useless gimmicks to try to attract customers because all the genuinely useful features have already become standard.

by Aggressive-Talk1320 1 week ago