+39 I have lived longer than you != I am wiser than you, amirite?

by Bartholomelindg 1 week ago

Someone can live the same year 80 times, and someone else can live 30 very different years. Being exposed to various things, learning from them and remembering the lessons is what constitutes life experience. Passing time does not equal life experience.

by Downtown-Let 1 week ago

❤️

by Slow_Carpet_4351 1 week ago

I like "You can't criticize me if you've ever done anything wrong in YOUR life." Also if you criticize someone for doing something you did once. I got busted for DUI once. I guess that means I can never think someone was irresponsible for drunk driving because I did it. Which means I fully approve of it and if you kill someone, that's their tough luck for interfering in your fun.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

This is only a hot take because you believe that information breeds wisdom. It's not knowledge that begets wisdom but rather experience. That said, it's absolutely possible for a young person to have more lived experience than an old one or to have an inherently greater ability to process that experience into wisdom. But access to the internet is not making kids more wise, often exactly the converse.

by Chowell 1 week ago

I disagree , thereby making it a little unpopular. I've Worked with difficult older ppl in the past who couldn't admit that they were wrong and I was right in ANY particular instance. It was very frustrating. That said wisdom is gained through experience and learning from mistakes so (while they're not right all the time) older ppl in general have more wisdom than young ppl

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It's a correlation, not causation.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I swear I just saw this popular opinion here the other day

by Anonymous 1 week ago

So you're arguing against Quantitative data

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Generally, lived longer = more experience = wiser BUT, this also doesn't apply in many cases. An older person is not going to be as wise as a 30yo when it comes to avoiding internet scams. Someone who was job hunting in the 50s had a totally different experience than a young person job hunting now because the game is totally different and the older person's advice would be (mostly) irrelevant here. If you zoom out, older people have more wisdom by definition, of course they do, they've seen it and made mistakes and learned from them, that's something that can only come with experience (i.e., age). If you zoom in, things are so much different now than when they were going through the same thing, so much of their wisdom is irrelevant. How should I live a fruitful and purposeful life? I'm going with the old guy. Best ways to get around an ATS system when applying for jobs? I'm going with the young guy.

by GlassPotential2154 1 week ago

I can believe there is a tendency for wisdom to grow with age. But any old person falling back on this tired old addage ain't a strong representative of that trend.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Older people without wisdom is one of the saddest things to see imo. I've seen it and it's bad. The idea of, "older = wiser", is only true if that person has lived a fulfilling life and has learned from their mistakes. There are some lessons a person can only learn with age, though. A young person can read a library's worth of religious text, philosophy, history, etc. but there are some things a person can only understand through age.

by Possible-Bath8852 1 week ago

Age only produces wisdom if the person is eager to learn, open to change and willing to be wrong. Most people never tick those boxes. So age for them just leads to ignorance, inflexibility and fear of change.

by Mauricioheidenr 1 week ago

They are not going to say. "I already made the stupid mistake you are about to do."

by Cfritsch 1 week ago

You will be probably wiser in 10 years (up until some point, when it will start declining again). So there is some correlation with wisdom and age. But ofcourse there are people who's wisdom peak will be lower than some random 15 years old, for example.

by Kkiehn 1 week ago

It's a totally valid assertion and not at all unpopular.

by mkirlin 1 week ago

Me too, this happens with some older people at school, work, I don't even get a chance to explain that there is something they know that I don't and something I know that they don't

also, older age does not automatically equate to respect just because you're older doesn't mean that you can treat people terribly and expect not somebody to check you

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Well that's how it is

We teach our kids everything we know but not everything they know so they are smarter than us, but they'll never have as much wisdom from experience

by Anonymous 1 week ago