+24 Steve Austin the 6 million dollar man can lift a car with his bionic arm that is attached at the shoulder to his flesh and bone body but his arm doesn't rip clean off, amirite?

by brekkeleonardo 1 week ago

They funnily covered this in the Boys, when Homelander stated he couldn't rescue the plane because he had nothing to push against and the plane would snap.

by Soggy-Maize9665 1 week ago

Yeah, pretty much any super hero catching something large would just puncture tonight through it, like stepping on a nail.

by Talon09 1 week ago

Structural integrity is a bitch

by Anonymous 1 week ago

That was such a funny/dark scene!

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Yeah, the writers of movie scripts don't get understand the forces are always transmitted through a structure to somewhere that can take them. I'm reminded of that line from the first Superman movie. The first time we see him, he catches Lois Lane as she's falling, and says "it's OK, ma'am, I've got you." Her reply: "if you've got me, then who's got you?!" She gets it.

by Esteban24 1 week ago

Or they do and it would be a boring movie if they had to obey the laws of physics in their made up movie.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Spider-Man had his girlfriend die because of the laws of physics

by sophiebergnaum 1 week ago

Operative phrase being "had to". They aren't beholden to physics

by Anonymous 1 week ago

OG Gwen Stacy snapped her neck that way...

by FigureAffectionate 1 week ago

The servo suit in Aliens got it.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Well superman absolutely could save someone falling by catching them. Meaning they decelerate them at a safe speed. Probably not how it looked in the movie.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Sure, but after that they hovered in the air, and Lois was wondering what was holding Superman up! We know it's magic, so suspension of disbelief works for Superman. It didn't work for the OP, however, since the 6 Million Dollar Man is supposed to be somewhat plausible in the real world.

by Esteban24 1 week ago

Don't underestimate the thruster power of superman's fart-jet

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Supergirl ripped the front of a boat off trying to move it

by Anonymous 1 week ago

You know it's not a documentary right? lol Reminds me of the physics calculation for Santa's delivery every Christmas night where air friction would burn him to a crisp

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Also makes me think of the irrational physics of Superman. Catching Lois mid air in a perpendicular trajectory without matching descent speed so she doesn't end up on him like a bug on a windshield. Also, grabbing cars from front bumpers and not just having that shred off instead of listing the whole vehicle.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Not to mention the famous "Man of steel, woman of tissue paper" story, imagining the mating between Lois Lane and Clark Kent. It doesn't end well.

by Shanelleraynor 1 week ago

That's why they call him stone cold...... Right?

by mya78 1 week ago

The Bionic Redneck OH HELL YEAH!

by Anonymous 1 week ago

The "stone cold stunn-na-na-na-na-na-na"

by mya78 1 week ago

Adjusted for inflation, what would it cost to rebuild Mr. Austin now?

by InterestingPhone8839 1 week ago

I asked chat gpt, adjusted for inflation, it reckons close to $42M. (based on the tv show was originally aired, from 1973 onwards). I'm not so great with math stuff, so take that figure with a grain of salt if you wish.

by Legitimate-Owl5885 1 week ago

ChatGPT once told me that sardine was an 8 letter word that started with "T". According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, it's $40,827,712.42. So it was pretty close!

by Hhills 1 week ago

Very easy explanation It was written in the script...

by Few-Possible-4977 1 week ago

Or when he kicks a brick wall with his knee brace without exploding his foot.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

If I remember right the novelisation included them reinforcing the rest of his body too.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

A lot of movies and TV shows where people get prosthetics have this issue. Like they get their forearm and hand replaced. They might have a stronger grip. But that doesn't mean they can suddenly punch through brick walls.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Bionic toenails dig in.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Something something rocket-propulsioned elbows...?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

That's stone cold… Steve Austin

by One-Lawfulness 1 week ago

The laws of physics were different in the 60s and 70s

by Gerlachdee 1 week ago

You explain it to him. One of the last things you'll hear is Jim Ross shouting "Stunner!"

by Anonymous 1 week ago

You're fun at parties ... I assume ...

by Anonymous 1 week ago