+34 I think culinary education is too Euro-Centric, amirite?

by Antique_Stock_8183 1 week ago

the idea is to train someone for a career in food service. there just isn't much demand for roast buffalo. the heavy focus on french cooking is because that's where the system of cooking for restaurants and large facilities that is still in use all over the world was developed.

by Brodyhegmann 1 week ago

I agree. However, I feel like if we were taught more about food and treated food outside of Europe equally, and casually, it might be just "another food" for people to eat. If we raised the Youth to understand and eat food from varios cultures, and challenge the idea of high class food, we might be able to get somewhere. Unfortunately, by the time someone wants to get into the field, they already have these set beliefs about food. We were taught all about the development of the restuarant, and where the system comes from. It's a good system. But, if 5 year old were being readily exposed to roast Buffalo, or it was normal to buy local berries large-scale.. I feel like we'd have an economic and environmental positive impact. So yeah I definitely understand that it's not practical - but I think the only reason it's not practical is because what's indigenous here is considered so "foreign" - partially because we've decimated the places that have those foods.

local berries, large scale… it's one or the other the indigenous food is foreign to us because we are not the indigenous culture. american food is derived from european food. that's why we are writing in english and not wompanog. the great thing about the brigade system is it's versatility. you can use it to make french food or navajo food. but again, there just isn't much demand for it.

by Brodyhegmann 1 week ago

What? Wouldnt it depend on what cuisine youre getting edication in? Western culinary education is inherently european no? If you want to learn asian cooking you go to culinary school that focuses on that. If you go to generic western culinary school youre going to learn western cooking and culinary superpowers of the west are France, spain italy and uk. Theres also nothing inherently expensive about cooking techniques.

by Better_Emphasis2516 1 week ago

They are talking about wanting schools to focus more on cuisine that indigenous people eat... Why is that some major issue for you??

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Its not though. But indigenous Is very niche cuisine. Thats why schools dont teach it. Its that simple. Like another user said US is mostly european origin, thats why the cuisine is also european. Its easy to deduce the answer to OPs question if you know basic US history.

by Better_Emphasis2516 1 week ago

If it was US-centric it'd just be big macs. boom americans fat take that 🫳🎀

by First-Weekend 1 week ago

Good thing America and Europe, aren't the only places in the world?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Never said they were boom take that 🫳🎀

Shows how much you really know about cuisine in the US...none 🫳🎀

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Because the US has none that isn't just stolen from elsewhere

by Donnellyantoine 1 week ago

watched a show on it from the food network and the native americans had the lady eating a pack rat.... so....

by Hueloswald 1 week ago

Because all cuisine is just stolen from elsewhere. Fixed it for you.

by anissapredovic 1 week ago

The Japanese stole the concept of tempura from the Portuguese.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Brother, every nation had ideas of food "stolen" from people nations and groups that no longer exist. Every nation has developed its own cuisine through its existence regardless of the foods origenal origin

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Better than the crap food I had in Europe.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Americans so fat their tastebuds are covered in fat and ineffective boom can't taste right take that 🫳🎀

Where in Europe did you go that the food was worse than in the US lol?

by ConstructionNew 1 week ago

Okay serious question, what cuisine does the US make to an exceptional or unique to the culture way? (Apart from Burgers)

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Do you people not know what indigenous means? European colonizers, are not indigenous... This would be food that natives ate. Not burgers, which were only popularized a hundred years ago...

by Anonymous 1 week ago

So name it? You can't because its not popular or outdated

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Huh? Name what?? πŸ˜‚

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Lol I had a good anthropology class where I tried to make this argument... A bunch of psuedo-woke teenagers then tried to tell me that I just don't know about the other culinary schools, and that's why I think French based culinary schools are so common πŸ˜‚

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Agreed. Do yourself (and your future clients) a favor and learn cooking methods from other parts of the world

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Which stuff of British origin?

by lupton 1 week ago

British? Yikes Im not sure about your culinary program if your focus is British πŸ˜‚ The great food cuisines are French Italian and Chinese and everything from there. So you should 100% be studying asian cuisines

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I agree. I went to a culinary school for a year and this was one reason I left. That and students were literally acting like this was hells kitchen and it was annoying.

by Mbraun 1 week ago

That irks the hell out of me too. I love the instructor I have, though. She's tough when she needs to be but if someone is having a freak-out, her response is always: "How do we learn unless we make mistakes? Do you expect this to be perfect, your first time making it? When you're in a kitchen, during a Rush, do you just break down? No, we must overcome these obstacles. Use your own head to create your own solutions. If the batter is too wet, add a bit more flour. If it's dry, add more water" Obviously, not all solutions are this easy. But it's a great explanat8on for how cooking is NEVER perfect. And that there's always a point where it's good enough, because we are not all going to be working in a Michelin star restuarant. Some things are not worth fretting over, like the miniscule stuff we notice but are not discernible in the end product. I know I had to re-do something... but the food is still there, and why worry?

I loved my instructors too. I actually expressed not enjoying culinary to one and she recommended I look into becoming a registered dietitian instead (and I'm preparing to take the test now so shout out her!) I'll just never forget I had asked someone to help me and they were like "i don't get graded for helping you" and I was like ??? Oh???? It really felt like people were competing for money or something 😭

by Mbraun 1 week ago