-24 There's no reason to get upset when someone stands up in the aisle after a plane lands…. amirite?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Standing up isn't the issue. It's the people that stand then start walking up the aisle and cutting in front of everyone else.

by remard 1 week ago

This, and people who seem to have no concept of how to stand without swinging their bag in someone else's face or crowding the people in front of/next to them.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Yup, it marks you as a douche.*

by Commercial-Rip7564 1 week ago

Yes! I have no problem with people standing up. I get it. I do it too because I need to stretch. It's the people that stand up and try to barrel their way down the aisle in front of everyone and those that stand up, get their bags, swinging it without regard. It's all THOSE people that are annoying and really piss me off. They're rude and inconsiderate and lack any kind of manners or travel etiquette.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I've done this once, only because the plane was late and if I wasn't the first one off the plane I'd miss my connecting flight. Sure enough as I was approaching the next gate they were closing the doors. If I didn't go to the front I would have missed it.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Just FYI, in the future you can let the flight attendant know in advance that this is the case. They will often find you a spot to sit closer to the front just for the landing, or they will come get you to move to the front before the captain turns the seatbelt sign off.

by Delicious-Status-885 1 week ago

This is useful, thank you! I no longer fly United, who loved doing this, but will remember in the future in case.

by Commercial-Rip7564 1 week ago

I was flying Air Canada. I asked them if I could move to the front and they simply didn't care, even though the plane being late was entirely their fault. (Mechanical)

by Anonymous 1 week ago

And I have no issue with that either. A courteous ‘I'm sorry, just trying to make a connection' goes a long way.

by remard 1 week ago

Considering your response was callous, self-important, and douchey ("you'll get over it") while their suggestion is an apologetic explanation, I wouldn't exactly call that inconsistent.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Bruh. Other guy said respectfully he would try to get ahead and would be fine letting people know courteously that he was trying to make a connection. You just said ‘I'm going, you'll get over it.' I imagine you are very consistent, a consistent douche.

by remard 1 week ago

Unless you were in first class, this always results in the person literally going from row 30 to row 28 and then just awkwardly standing there.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Yeah, flying is hectic, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do and hustle and you don't have time to worry about something thinking you're rude.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

sorry i have a connecting flight, you'll get over it

by Arvilla11 1 week ago

Yikes you're one of those people who acts like a cop in public, going around policing everyone you personally feel misbehaves, aren't you? A Karen, if you will

by Ancient-Produce 1 week ago

Sure, in certain circumstances I suppose I am.

by remard 1 week ago

I stand up because I have long legs and sitting in planes is very uncomfortable. I don't want to be crammed into that seat a minute longer than is necessary.

by wschultz 1 week ago

6'4" here, feels great to stand up and stretch even with extra legroom in the exit row or comfort+ I also find it helpful to see where I am in the queue. The people who don't stand up and seem 'surprised' it's their turn, then get up, try to find their bin and locate their bags actually delay the process

by Tall-Elevator 1 week ago

5'9 with short legs but still hate sitting in those seats so I usually stand after getting to the terminal

by Anonymous 1 week ago

There is no queue. Walk off the plane; when there is space ahead of you, fill it.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I am 6‘5". I just want the agony of my knees grinding into the seat in front of me to end.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

8'8" here: it's brutal I tell ya.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Studies show that is absolutely not the case.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I'd love to see these studies because I've been apart of a deboarding multiple times where everyone sat when the fa's told them. It sped the process up a ton.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Same. Back feels better the instant I stand up. Also, tight connections are a thing, and informing the FA is more than reasonable, especially if you're not going through a high connection airport.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

One time I had a tight connection in Atlanta (if you know that airport you know it's awful) and the FA came to let us out and the lady across the aisle was being so mean to the FA. I sincerely hope she misses every single connecting flight or layover she has for the rest of her life because I'm not the bigger person ever.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Those people must not fly around middle America much because flying direct is a pipe dream

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Seriously, if you live near a small airport flying direct is just not an option for many locations

by efrenmosciski 1 week ago

This. This right here.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

This is me. In no way am I pushing people to try to get out faster but I'm standing up to stretch.

by efrenmosciski 1 week ago

I try to get the aisle seat if possible. But after a long flight, any position—even crouching—is better than sitting in those seats.

by wschultz 1 week ago

Same I'm 6'5. I gotta stand up.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Nah cuz with most planes, assuming you're sitting in the middle or window seat, you can't stand up when you're tall. Usually when I'm in the middle seat the window and aisle people stand and i can't without banging my head.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It's good that some people are standing up and getting their bags out and getting ready to go. It does speed up the exit process

by Express-Surprise6602 1 week ago

Exactly. Most ppl who stand up just have small bags and don't want to wait for everyone else

by Anonymous 1 week ago

People with small bags are the least important to stand up. If you stand up you should be getting your bags out and ready so things move faster. If you have no bags unbuckle, stretch and then sit down and wait. If you are standing up to butt ahead in line that's fine, but you are a selfish person.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I'd prefer to not have someone's ass in my face for 20 minutes

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I mean, it really depends on the ass

by abdiel02 1 week ago

This. Sweaty, airplane ass just being itself right in front of me ain't cute

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Best solution for that would be for you to stand up?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I prefer when everyone gets off row by row, its much more pleasant.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Yeah if it was a need for the restroom they could have just said something

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Or, went to the bathroom in the back of the plane.

by Marjolaine66 1 week ago

Right, even if it was just like, back pain and the need to stand up. Nobody is usually upset about being cut if a conversation is happening. But, it wasn't, and that makes me think that these guys are just entitled boomers.

by Wwitting 1 week ago

You people act like you can't get up and stretch your legs during the flight.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Indeed. My girl is five foot tall. She stays seated. At six plus, my back needs relief.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Im 5' as well, but I need to stand bc my legs dangle the whole time… they can't touch the floor which is incredibly uncomfortable. I definitely don't stay seated after

by Anonymous 1 week ago

This is why I pull my carry on out from under the seat as soon as we're in stable flight... I can rest my feet on it.

by Bubbly_Technician989 1 week ago

I hear you, that is a good idea! I just don't want to put my feet on my book bag that's all. I just dangle away, then stand up when it's time.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Lmfao damn right!

by Anonymous 1 week ago

i'm a bit over 6. in some planes my knees touch the seat in front. i don't want to do that longer than i have to

by Rossiequigley 1 week ago

I'm a wee fella, and I have to stand as soon as we land because I can't be seated for that long without my legs wanting to murder me. I have relatively long legs for my height, so despite being under 5'5, I still need to really stretch out my legs.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

THIS

by Anonymous 1 week ago

If you've been sitting for 6 hours you can be a grown up and sit for 15 more minutes like everyone else. If not, nut up and pay for first class.

by Goyettecedrick 1 week ago

or i can just stand up and you can sit there and stew that a stranger isn't behaving like you want them to

Devils advocate, if you made it 6 hours, what's another few minutes?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

EVERYONE has been sitting in a very tight spot for 6 hrs. You aren't special.

by Neilkeeling 1 week ago

ok they are free to stand up and stretch their legs also

by Anonymous 1 week ago

what are you leaning over the people next to you? standing takes up less space than sitting

by Anonymous 1 week ago

best way to be unhappy is to worry about what others do.

Standing up isn't the issue. It's the rushing through the aisle to the front that's annoying.

by Goyettecedrick 1 week ago

I had to stay overnight at LAX because I missed my connecting flight by a hair because of what you described. Had people standing up and lining up before the plane even docked at the gate. It quite literally ruined my day, sir.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

if you have a tight connection it is always worth to inform the crew. They will inform the next plane that you are on your way and sometimes (if space) allow you to move to an empty seat closer to the exit so you can be first out.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Noted. I figured letting the employees at the gate know would do it but they weren't willing to contact the gate I had to go to.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I've literally had to wait on a plane that was ready to go at LAX because there were passengers coming from a late connecting flight... Weird they'd leave without you like that. Did you book each flight separately or something?

No, they were booked together through Delta which was what frustrated me even more. I figured they'd wait a few minutes but nope. When I got out of the plane, I even asked the Delta employees if they could let the gate where I'm heading know. They were like "you better run if you want to make it."

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Oh that's some nonsense... I definitely won't be flying Delta with connections. I feel you on the pain of getting stuck in LA too, it seems like that city doesn't want to let anyone leave lolol... I always end up stuck there an extra day for some bizarre reason whenever I have to be there for even an hour!

Happened to me once, they didn't want to take responsibility. I showed them my rights and told them I would sue them if they violated them. They got me another flight. Those companies suck.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

100% this. Sure you can let the crew know, whatever, but every moment matters. It's polite to pause before standing and let the connecting flight folks get off quickly. If you miss your flight bc of aisle standers — now your day is ruined. If they have to hold your next plane bc you aren't on time bc of aisle standers — now maybe multiple peoples days are messed up.

by No_Championship 1 week ago

Me standing up and getting my bag makes it faster for me to deplane. It also gives the 2 seat mates room to spread out and gather their things. I also offer to get their bags, which (again) speed up the deplane process. How in the world do people just standing next to their aisle make things slower than sitting until their row is cleared, _then_ standing and getting their things? Answer: it doesn't. I agree with OP. I have no idea why this gets so much hate nor why people think it actually slows things down.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It is an inconvenience though when they have their crotch in your face and have no concept of spacial awareness when they spin and you get a bag in the face. Also the first ones up don't let anyone out in their rush to get off. Again, an annoying inconvenience.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Sometimes it's just nice to stand up after sitting for so long time.

by True-Appointment 1 week ago

Recently had 2 people in the back of a American airlines flight who had a tight connect. The few tall guys immediately stood up, and only one guy wouldn't let them pass. Y was bizarre to say the least. Big guy was like... yeah I'm not sitting back down, but also not moving.

by Davismason 1 week ago

It's not one extra person though. It's that the entire isle gets clogged and the entire backend of the plane is trying to push passed you . So now i HAVE to do the awkward 3/4 stand up while ducking my head just so I can box you out. If you in that much of a rush, buy a better seat.

by ForeignImagination 1 week ago

Airlines could be changing the culture around being courteous to fellow travelers if they actually cared. I don't need to see some flowery infomercial at the start of every flight, Delta. I would much rather see PSAs about getting passengers with tight connections deboarded first. Obviously you would need some sort of punishment system for people who are sure to abuse the hell out of other people's courtesy.

by Marjolaine66 1 week ago

I'm usually in pain by the time we land - my knees hurt and my quads are tight. I generally don't step into the aisle, though - I just stand up at my seat. I'd understand people with back problems wanting to stand up straight, though.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

As someone who prefers the window seat, I actively hope the person in the aisle will stand up. It gives the people in the middle and window seats a little more room to repack/adjust their personal items before having to hurry off the plane. Also, a lot of people who stand up immediately also use that time to help retrieve roller bags from the overhead bin for themselves and others, speeding up the exit process. The only time it's an issue is when the flight is delayed and some people have to run off to make tight connections.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

My back and hips are killing me! I gotta stand up

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I mostly just dislike the blatant disregard for the fasten seatbelt lights

by Anonymous 1 week ago

If you're on an Amtrak route, I highly recommend the train for travel. My then 6yo and I did the coast-to-coast trip and it was great.

Doesn't that take 7 days

by Anonymous 1 week ago

i get up because I don't want to sit down any longer. whoever is upset with me they can kiss my ass.

by Amelie42 1 week ago

you're actually wrong. Because of how much time it take to grab luggage it would actually be optimal if all the aisle people got up at landing. Grabbed there stuff and got of asap. Then the middle seats and then the people next to the window so full area is used for grabbing luggage. (And yes, I know there are problems with groups/families in this theoretical method)

by Anonymous 1 week ago

That's also why I'm always on the aisle. Sometimes stand for five minutes in the middle of the flight.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

My husband is 6'3" and 250ish. He stands at every opportunity. I'm only 5' and my feet don't touch the floor when I sit, so I stay sitting.

by Front-Substance 1 week ago

I missed a connecting flight once because of people standing in the aisle and not letting us pass which ended up taking a full day off our vacation. The flight attendant even asked people to sit because there was a group that needed to make the connection. She was completely ignored, no one sat, moved or even blinked an eye and she gave up. Stand up all you want but be prepared to move the hell out of the way or expect to get shoved or trampled.

by Rjacobson 1 week ago

Honestly I'm glad that they are quickly out of my way. I have no interest in getting up and grabbing my stuff until the doors are opened and people are moving.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It's actually good that people do this. If I am in the middle seat and the person in the aisle gets up it frees space for me to get ready too. Now, if they start pooling out their bags and dropping them on people that's another story.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I need to stretch my limbs bro

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I remember flying China Eastern where everyone jumps up and get their bags as soon as the wheels touch the ground.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

The problem is when it impedes people gathering their bags from overhead and actually delays getting off the plane.

by Ambitious-Town2425 1 week ago

I stand up if I'm short on time for a connecting flight. Otherwise, I'm in no rush

by Aydenbernhard 1 week ago

It's the people that stand up, realize there's not a ton of room, so they move forward and stand right next to you so YOU can't get up.

by Neilkeeling 1 week ago

A lot of the people mad are other people trying to stand

by Background-Leader-10 1 week ago

I stand up for my legs but stay in my seat area until people get their bags and start moving. I've never had any issues with someone "cutting" in front. I really don't care or think about it.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

No problem with standing, just with the people who are acting out because they have to wait while standing ...

by Temporary_Shoe5136 1 week ago

One time on a flight the person next to me stood up and I could actually smell their butt.

by Local-Balance-3733 1 week ago

I think this is more so for people who think cutting in line and pushing people out of their way is okay.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

IDGAF what others do. I always sit in the back and just relax for a bit longer until I can eventually exit. Usually I'm finishing up a movie anyways.

by balistrerielyse 1 week ago

No, it slows doen the entire process off exiting rhe plane. The aisle gets too crowded tonget stand in and people behind you end up leaving first. They should announce exiting row by row

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I was on a plane two weeks ago. My reasoning for standing up was because I was in my seat for almost 6 hours and I needed to stand up. I'm aware I'm not getting off the plane faster. I just wanted to stretch my legs.

by westellie 1 week ago

It's not the standing up to stretch their legs. It's that they run forward 2 rows thinking they will deboard the plane first and now there are 7 people crammed into a row and no one can move at all and it's awkward for 15 minutes while they sheepishly are like "Yeah im really fkn dumb ... again ...."

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I like the aisle seats, and It's not pleasant when someone's ass or crotch is in your face as they're fumbling with the overhead compartments. If they can get up without doing that, then have at it.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Are you talking about standing up when you get to the gate, or running to the front of the plane? Because standing up is fine, but running to the front of the plane is rude and as we grow more and more into and individualistic society we see this more and more and it shows how the sense of community and respect we have for one another is fading away.

by neoma79 1 week ago

I stand because my garbage, middle-aged back demands it. I'm not racing to exit.

by hegmannmay 1 week ago

I have been in bad car wrecks, and I stand up immediately as soon as the plane lands because I am in a large amount of pain and standing up as one of the few things that will relieve it in that particular situation. I truly do not care what anyone else thinks about it at all, and find it laughable. I am also 6 feet tall with 32 inch wide shoulder so I don't fit very well in an airplane seat.

by Front_Lifeguard 1 week ago

I'm over six feet. Airplane seats are painful. You bet your sweet ass I'm standing up and stretching the moment I can.

by Plane_Specialist 1 week ago

There is a perfectly good reason to get upset when your ass & bookbag is crammed in my face while you stand there like an idiot. Especially worse when you're an uncoordinated, oversized individual. Just stay in your seat and be ready to go quickly when it's your turn..I'm tall as well, tough it out for 5 more minutes and have some common courtesy for others around you, your legs will be fine.

by Level_Ask 1 week ago

A lot of people are uncomfortable with people standing over them while they're seated.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

What is your feeling on lane mergers?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I'm 6'3". I always get an aisle seat. I get up immediately, pop the overhead, and pull my roll-aboard down. I then ask the people in my row if they want their bag pulled down. I generally let everyone in my row go ahead of me. If I see something like crutches or a cane, I always dig that out and get it to the right person.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

When lack of overhead bin space caused someone to put their carry on 10+ rows up or down where they're actually sitting, if that person doesn't want to wait until everyone is off the plane to get their stuff, then that shuffling up and down the aisle may indeed cause an overall longer deplaning time.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Once you step into a plane you are no longer a traveler but a soul. You are under the protection and command of the Captain. Follow the directive of the pilot at all times.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I'm not a rush type person so unless I have a layover right after, I just wait for everyone to go so I can peacefully exit. Not worth the headache.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Its the people who stand up and walk halfway down the plane to grab their bag and then move back up as fast as they can so they can get off 5 min quicker

by Stromanmaddison 1 week ago

yup

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I like to stand because I've been sitting for so long, I won't jump into the aisle, but I'll be standing up and hunched over so I don't hit my head, anything to stretch my legs out.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I honestly didn't know that was a thing Not been on many planes though.

by AutomaticFlounder915 1 week ago

So, I had a man rush to stand in the aisle and as he was standing there he farted. I had the aisle seat. It was so gross.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I'm 6'4" and a hefty dude. Airplane seats are literally painful for me to sit in. If you judge me for standing up that's on you.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

No it is rude. This is how society is going to crumble the fact that collectively we're moving away from standards and manners and dignity. Bring back shame honestly

by vincenzastolten 1 week ago

I stand immediately because I am sick of sitting.

by Bradley48 1 week ago

Na, there absolutely see. For fastest de boarding, you should keep your ass flat in the seat and the isle row should leave first, then middle, then window. That is the most efficient for the entire plane to de-board.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I stand because most of the time I stay seated the whole flight and I'm sore

by Schummansley 1 week ago

My strategy is to make a break for the front of the pane as soon as the plane starts to slow down pulling into the gate. I just say "I have a tight connection" if anyone seems annoyed. It's only really awkward when the plane is getting to the gate really early.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I hate when people do it, but I fixed it by only flying g First Class and it's so nice.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

so that would also mean them standing up isn't gonna inconvenience you or anyone else You might have valid reasoning for this, but the way you phrased it, I can only assume you pulled this conclusion out of someone's ass xD When you stand up early you definitely cause inconvenience as you disrupt the order, causing others to act out of order and so on.

by Fionaschiller 1 week ago

It's an asshole move because you're impeding people with tight layovers. Some people legitimately NEED to get off that moment to hike all the way across the airport and get on another plane. It's polite to just pause a moment or two and give those folks time to get off.

by No_Championship 1 week ago

Except that they're standing beside me for 15 minutes with their ass in my face

by Anonymous 1 week ago

There's nothing wrong with wanting to stretch your legs after a long flight, but the aisles are so tight, and unfortunately people aren't very careful with whose face is getting hit by their bags. Also when everyone crowds the aisles, those with connecting flights can't get through as fast as they would like. I usually just try to stand up in my own seat space if my legs are cramped, sometimes it's good to care about how you are affecting other people.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It doesn't upset me I just find it strange. I don't get why people do it. You can't move until the row in front of you starts moving so why stand up that whole time? Maybe just to stretch I guess.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Why do you need to stand, if you want out earlier pay more money sit up closer to the door. The people who stand don't allow others to move freely to get their bags thus holding up the plane. I travel a lot I've been apart of the deboarding process a ton. The best and quickest deboarding was when the fa's told everyone to sit down until the row in front of them is moving. It was absolutely seamless. You're not more important than anyone else. Keep your ass sat down, if you need to stretch thats fine, but sit back down let others get their bags and go. I've noticed most people don't give a rats ass about other people and it's a real shame.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Imo the most annoying people on the planes when landed are usually business class passengers, it goes like this. //plane lands// /pilot: Okay guys all good too get up now and get your luggage get ready for departure!/ //flight attendant waking up business flyers or not even that, simply telling them when they are awake it's time to get off// //literally 20 minutes passes// //business class passengers: ahhhhh 😴🥱 oh wow time to get off already is it! I better get up and get my luggage// //Looks up the aisle// And finally after 45 minutes business has exited. Now? Oh now it's time for a handful of economy passengers do the exact same thing as above. When does this happen? No never on flights less than 2 hours, maybe not even 4. Always 5 or more it's guaranteed to happen.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

i just take it as people needed to stretch and move a bit.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It's more annoying when the people in the window seat stand and there's nowhere to go and you're in the aisle still sitting while they glare at you expecting you to climb onto someone's shoulders or something so they can also get out and stand.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Not sure why this is controversial. If you stand in the aisle before it is your row's turn to deplane, you are the a**hole. Period.

by reillytyra 1 week ago

Thank you. I just stand because I can never sit still for long.

by IcyActuary1303 1 week ago

Also, if you've been trapped in a small, fixed, seated position for hours, most normal people would want to stand up as soon as they could. Anyway, getting up and getting ready to gtf off the flight saves time for everybody behind you. It's a matter of courtesy. When there's twenty plus rows, six people deep, all it takes is one or two slow people in the front to slow down everybody else on the plane. If you're in an aisle seat, you better gtf up as soon as the plane reaches the gate so everybody behind you can get up and go too.

by Hot_Translator 1 week ago

Have bad memories from standing up after a plane landed, threw up all over an aisle one time

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It's really more about a matter of respect. Everyone else is working together as a collective, while you're working as an individual.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Anyone who doesn't stand immediately is an idiot for not stretching. The body gets varicose veins from sitting in one position so long. Bunch of freaks who stay sitting.....

by Gerdareichert 1 week ago

Calling the general public sheep for getting up when the plane lands (a very minor thing) is cringe af lol makes you seem like a teenage edge lord

by Ancient-Produce 1 week ago

Oh right. I did a shameful thing. I imagined literal sheep and didn't consider the context in which that's usually used. You're right. I am shamed. I get it.

by Bashirianwilfri 1 week ago