+27 Australians are the descendants of criminals. amirite?

by Capital_Week 1 week ago

(insert any country here) is descended from criminals. It's almost like every country has them. (gasp)

by Anonymous 1 week ago

The thing is Australia was a penal colony for the Brits.

by Hellen73 1 week ago

I'm aware. I'm also aware that 'penal colony for the Brits' doesn't necessarily mean everyone sent there was actually guilty. Same as Louisiana was part of the penal colony for France/Britain as well. They sent a lot of their 'undesirables' off to other places. Considering some of the atrocities visited on the 'prisoners' and what one got slapped with a criminal charge for, I think saying that all people sent to Australia were criminals is a dick suggestion. And also conveniently ignores the Aboriginal people.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Except the Aboriginal Australians, people who went to work as prison guards, or people who immigrated for other reasons/at other times.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

TL:DR At most 81% of Australia is "descended from (Irish and U.K) criminals" (questionably) and 19% are not. Not really. 33% are English, 29.9% are European Australian, 9.5% are Irish, and 8.6% are Scottish. Assuming all of these people are descendants of criminals (which is not the case as many U.K and Irish citizens immigrated to the U.K after it was established a nation and not just a prison) then, that leaves us with 81% criminals. This is keeping in mind that many U.K and Irish Citizens are descendants of voluntary immigrants, then 19% are Non-U.K or Irish European, Asian, Aboriginal Australian, or something else, then 19% are not descendants or criminals. Of course, this means that more 19% of the population is not descended from criminals. A large portion, probably. But all, no way!

by Anonymous 1 week ago