+38 I'm convinced that maybe only 50-60% of the population actually CAN understand satire, amirite?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Some may know what it is but can't always recognize it.

by Odd_Main2254 1 week ago

Not to mention, half the internet gets mad if you put a tone indicator (that being /S) and the other half gets mad if you dont.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

This ^

by Responsible-Bed 1 week ago

Interesting point, they'd know there is something happening but not quite get what it is or what it implies. Like me in social situations :)

by ReferenceEqual 1 week ago

Have you considered that people who understand satire would just laugh and move on and people who don't understand are often the one having something to say about a joke? With those kind of bias, how do you determine only 50% people who understand?

by Hungry-Fish1828 1 week ago

Also thinking the internet = anywhere near 50% of the population

by Top-Cause 1 week ago

Have you seen the Tik Tok stats?

I wanna say real but sometimes I don't pick up on a joke. It's really not that serious though and you're taking it too seriously

by Top-Cause 1 week ago

It's an enormous concern, considering the proportion of humanity at this level. Even an IQ deficit of like 15 would be pretty consequential. This is MUCH worse.

How to you always know it's obvious satire? Like I have no issue to recognize it but there are people nowadays online and out in the open who are actually say these things seriously and aren't joking.

by Schneiderjulian 1 week ago

I can't really help people who can't pick up on obvious trolls.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Anybody referencing Vonnegut has my default agreement.

by Shanna49 1 week ago

we're probably talking about different things Yeah, you brought it up to an 11 with racial violence when OP is more around 2 talking about satire in general

by Opening_Current_5195 1 week ago

you seem to be using the words irony, sarcasm, and satire interchangeably, which leads me to believe you dont actually understand what one, some, or all of them mean

by Anonymous 1 week ago

No, I do. But someone who doesn't understand one will usually not understand the other two either.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

And I'm convinced 50-60% of jokes (such as satire) are rooted in culture. To simplify: unless they've lived with you for your entire life, not every joke will land

by nickwalter 1 week ago

Humor requires intelligence.

by CartographerFull7820 1 week ago

what evidence do you have that backs up your claim that satire is a stronger component in Anglosphere discourse?? That seems like an odd point to tack on

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I too would be interested to hear supporting argumentation for this.

As a queer person, a lot of the other bubbles tend to be more like pools of toxic waste

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Show me someone elitist without telling me they are elitist. Saying that, the amount of people who never got Starship Troopers always surprised me.

by Competitive-Essay 1 week ago

I don't think it's elitist to share the opinion that a large number of people doesn't seem to get satire, whatever the actual number is.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Those are awfully high numbers if you're just referencing the US.

by Open_Candle_8513 1 week ago

I'm convinced that 83% of all statistics are made up.

by Future-Weakness 1 week ago

To be honest, you did make me think of something else which is that there's some people out there who say things they actually do believe but purposely say them in an excessively silly, trollish way so as to provoke and outrage people. That can throw more confusion into the mix.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I have ASD and I love satire. I think recognition of satire is mostly intelligence based.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Man i wish i was as smart as you to understand satire

by okeefemazie 1 week ago

Well you cant fix stupid

by Anonymous 1 week ago

The number of people that watched The Colbert Report without understanding satire depresses me.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Poe's Law

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Depends on age. I think younger people are more likely to understand satire than the 40+ moms age group

by harmonbernier 1 week ago

Considering 50 percent of the planet are literally below average in intelligence its not surprising

by Anonymous 1 week ago

But people on the internet will genuinely come out with ridiculous stuff that isn't satire, so without any context clues it's impossible to perfectly separate the genuinely ridiculous from the jokes.

by Norenecassin 1 week ago

Legitimately.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Try using an analogy sometime.