+31 Most people, without realizing it or not, do not give you hardly enough personal space in checkout lines at the supermarket. amirite?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Do what I do. Stand in front of your cart. You decide how close u want to be to the guy in front of you, and no one is behind u !

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I like to play crotch conga with the person in front of me and encourage those behind me to move up until we all form a kind of vertical human centipede. What's "personal space"? I've never heard of it.

by SwingSweet 1 week ago

We get a one, personal space. Two, personal space. Three, stay out of my personal space. Four, keep away from my personal space. Five... Get out of that personal space. Six... Stay away from my personal space. Seven... Keep away from that personal space. Eight, personal space. Nine, personal space. You know, I take personal space pretty seriously, up to the point that I don't even care about this... I'm not even interested in having this skin on my personal space.

by Alfredo83 1 week ago

Norovirus is your best friend.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Yupp

by Ok-Imagination-4058 1 week ago

I always grab the full sized cart and stand next to it, in the center, for just this reason. I agree it's annoying.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Oh that's a good one. I'll have to start doing that

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Remember that during Covid some people actively tried to give you less space because they were smarter than you. Some people just suck.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

People did that? I remember once during Covid I asked one lady to give me some more space and she said "if you're so scared go home". Like no, lady, I don't like people in my space regardless of pandemic. Has nothing to do with being scared

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I'm confused lol, you asked me if people did that but then you provided the example. I don't know how to respond

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Well I don't know in my case she was doing it on purpose or not. I mean, did you experience people giving you less space on purpose to prove a point ?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Yes but am I missing something? Your example works. Exactly the kind of thing I was talking about lol

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Reading comprehension has gotten real scarce the last decade

by Future-Ad 1 week ago

After the mask mandate lifted I got a cold, and wore a mask to the store to be cautious for myself and considerate of others (and also because i didnt want people to think I was an ass walking around clearly sick with covid and no mask lol). Some lady saw my mask, came right up to me, followed my steps back trying to regain my space, and helpfully informed me that I didn't need to be scared and that I didn't have to wear a mask anymore. I was so shocked at the audacity i just blurted out that i was sick. She backed up real fast and left. Who's scared now lady? Lmao people are stupid. Like she intentionally got all up in my business then regretted it when turns out I was using a mask for one of the exact reasons you're supposed to wear them

by Rich_University 1 week ago

I saw something worse. An old republican lady in front of me in line one day was hacking up a lung but wore no mask and I literally leaped backwards so fast once I heard her deathly coughing fit and immediately put on my mask (this was a few months ago not during the epidemic) Felt so bad for the checkout lady being right in the line of fire caused by the lung this rude lady was hacking up

by Skyebeahan 1 week ago

what do you mean?

by New_Scientist 1 week ago

Let me rephrase, in the US people actively went out and got close to people during Covid, particularly those with masks on, in places like the grocery store, in order to signal how much smarter they were than everybody else. It was just an example to reinforce that some people not only don't care about your personal space but if you tell them what you need they will do the opposite because they are horrible.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Yes, Covid really showed people's true colors in many ways.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It sure did. I find it most highlighted in the current silence of those once so adamant that folks should lose their jobs if they didnt choose to take an experimental gene therapy. But people standing a little close also bugged me to be fair.

by ankundingemmanu 1 week ago

If you chose forced vaccines for restaurant access, id argue you weren't really strongly against the concept to begin with. Thanks for your response!

by ankundingemmanu 1 week ago

There are a lot of awful rude selfish people in America.

by Skyebeahan 1 week ago

my pet peeve is someone standing with their shopping cart so close, that I can't take one step back without hitting it

by Anonymous 1 week ago

stand sideways and stick one of your feet right under them

by Firm-Ad6804 1 week ago

One of the only times I've ever freaked out and started yelling in public was in a grocery store line when some creepy dude stood way too close to my ass for comfort when I was standing a healthy distance away from the person in front of me in line.

by Impossible_Eagle9959 1 week ago

Exactly. Some of us get flustered easily when our space is used like that.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Word of advice: never travel to Asia.

by Friendly_Bit2366 1 week ago

Oof or even Europe. In France everyone scrunches their purchases together on the checkout belt so that people can be even closer together, it's considered very weird to leave any space on that belt uncovered unless there is no one behind you.

by Ok_Calligrapher_5594 1 week ago

Varies in Europe. In Sweden, they really value their space.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

It was worse in Europe(Germany). I felt like somebody was gonna whisper in my ear

by Anonymous 1 week ago

You should whisper back next time: so you're buying me dinner, your place or the restaurant?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

i don't want to play gay chicken with a stranger

by New_Scientist 1 week ago

Lol. It was in Berlin. A lot of people. I was just surprised

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Yeah I don't like it when people come so close too, and I tell them to please step back and let me have some privacy.

by Rude-Willingness 1 week ago

I don't really have that problem of people physically standing too close, especially since covid. I feel like most Americans are super awkward and maintain as much space as possible, but maybe it's a location specific problem. As for loading up the check out belt, I always put up the separater bar as soon as I'm done throwing on my groceries. It's like an invitation for the person behind to start loading their things on and and I feel like it's a courteous thing to do.

by Millercristophe 1 week ago

For me, it's the closest I'll ever get to people for weeks. It feels like waiting in line for combat or something.

by Margueritehacke 1 week ago

I've become feral in checkout lines for this reason. I stand as wide as I can and do a lot of sideways hands on hips.

by OkSignal 1 week ago

Also when the person behind me starts loading the conveyor and I'm not even finished loading my items. One time I had to shove their things back to let my last items in and they realized what they'd done. Another time I was loading the cart and hadn't paid yet. The lady behind me was about to swipe for me, she had been so physically close, until her teen kids laughed and then she realized it was still my stuff.

by SlowLake 1 week ago

Walmart plus, grocery delivery. I hardly ever stand in check out lines anymore. Mobile ordering for every fast food chain, curb side pickup for most restaurants, etc. Shoot, even walgreens has curb side now. Plus Walmart plus comes with paramount plus. And if I'm in a pinch like my kid is really sick and I need Tylenol to break his fever... I just instacart it. Throw $20 tip on there and they're going to go get it and bring it to me faster than I can go get it and I don't have to put my kid in the car.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

This AND people look at me weird when I give them like 3 feet of room at least. I happen to be living somewhere they were never really covid conscious/concerned, and they seem more put off that I'd give them the delicate privilege of not crawling up their ass

by Minimum-Ad-1492 1 week ago

When my son was younger he always wanted to push the cart. Only issue is he kept hitting me in the achilles tendons. I still have flashbacks

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I've started ripping the loudest, juiciest farts I can if I feel someone standing that close behind me. That gets them to move back real quick.

by Valuable_Average 1 week ago

Depends on how busy it is. I'd rather be too close to people than have a line spilling out into the aisles and being an inconvenience to everyone.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I am in Europe (Italy) and the idea of personal space in a supermarket just doesn't apply. It's a place where you just need to get stuff done asap as long as you don't touch people or sneeze/cough on them it's all fine. I am curious how your personal space idea applies to elevators (a maximum load elevator is much more crammed than a supermarket queue) or to concerts, or metro. I find those much more oppressing than a short crammed supermarket queue.

by Front_Gate_2008 1 week ago

It helps the cashier and everyone else if you start loading your items on the belt as soon as there is space to do so. People who demand a lot of "personal space" believe they are royalty. You aren't.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I was being silly saying you weren't asking for much if people are within 1 foot of you. Now, just because my humor was not rewarded, I hope the next guy who comes behind you in the supermarket licks your earlobe. Just a real sloppy wet one.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Hope he's hot at least

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Something's gonna get hot for sure.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I enjoyed the part where no one would stand close to each other when the world was stalled for the pandemic. Only part I truly enjoyed, but it was a small win.

by TypicalWrongdoer 1 week ago

Sounds like a you problem

by Anonymous 1 week ago