+26 If you raise the food price, the food portion should remain the same, amirite?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Shrinkflation

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I think its in France in supermarkets if companies do this to their product they have to display a sign noting its reduced size and same price as before it should be this way everywhere

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Shrinkflation sucks but companies will push it as far as they think they can get away with regardless of how the economy is doing. It's going to get worse before it gets better as theres little to no competition anymore between companies. If one product shrinks its portion while keeping the price the same or higher then instead of competing other companies just do the same. This will not change untill the dam finally breaks.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Very unpopular opinion. Most of us absolutely love giving companies more money and receiving less food. I sleep better at night knowing I've been ripped off, and you should too!

by StructureGlobal 1 week ago

This is a very popular opinion.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Ah yes. Your average American resents your opinion. Most people want to pay more for less or same amounts!

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Where is the unpopular opinion?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Shrinkflation has been around for decades. It's just becoming much more blatant. Yeah it sucks.

by Adalbertowisozk 1 week ago

They are trying to not raise the price too much so they'll cut serving size or quality a bit. They watch what the competition is doing. For grocery stuff, it needs to be obvious, I hate opening the package to see just extra packaging but I should have been aware of the price per weight. For restaurants, usually servings were too big (in the US) and too much was wasted so I don't mind the shrinkflation unless it was expensive AND I am still hungry after. I actually hate the lowering of quality even more, it is harder to detect which is exactly what they are hoping for. Like watered sauce, not so fresh ingredients, change in recipe, less meat more fat.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Well rather than moving it from 3USD to 7USD, we move it from 3USD to 5USD and reduce the portion. Source: I'm a CFO in a Food and Beverage company

by Ok-Landscape7467 1 week ago

This isn't remotely unpopular... Go to pet peeves

by Cedrickschultz 1 week ago

I know it may be shocking, but businesses like to make more money

by bradtkerichmond 1 week ago

Businesses making money doesn't justify anything.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Portions are too big already. If anything, portions should decrease and save us the price increases. The problem is that companies would rather make more money selling bigger portions than less money selling smaller portions, even if the proportional difference favors the smaller portions. This is because you get more money per sale, and sales aren't guaranteed. So they'd rather make more money at lower margins by selling us more than we need than making less money at higher margins selling us what's enough.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

The problem there is the cost of food on the company's end is not directly proportional to the portion size, which is extra true in restaurants. a smaller portion size is still getting the same wait staff time, same table space, most if not all the same effort from the cooks. So if a 500 calorie meal has a $6 cost, and a 1,000 calorie meal has a $8 dollar cost, upsells to maybe $18 and $24, why push smaller portions and waste value on everyone's end? Also not everyone has a low limit calorie intake.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I know. That's what I said. Profit motive drives the price up and portion sizes are increased to justify it. It would be better for society to have higher margins on reasonably portioned food than to be force fed huge portions at slimmer margins just so the place make more money overall.

by Anonymous 1 week ago