+20 Most people are ageist, until they reach a certain age. amirite?

by Opheliaschuppe 1 week ago

They're still ageist. They just switch to hating young people instead of old people.

by BeneficialHeight6528 1 week ago

You're just an ist

by Careful-Oil-1484 1 week ago

It's not an -ism if you just hate everyone exactly equally though I suppose

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I'm an equal opportunity hater

by CucumberOld7988 1 week ago

I hate all people equally. Old people, young people, middle aged people. Especially hate people my age (those are the dumbest ones!!!) (/s)

by Anonymous 1 week ago

This is actually called adultism! It speaks to the attitudes that adults have against kids/youth (👵👴kids these days!) as well as how society is designed for adults to the extent that it excludes kids beyond what's reasonable for their developmental stage.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I agree. I cringe when I remember some of the awful things I said about people who were older than me when I was young. And I did it for no other reason than to be mean. I was such a twat. That's why I make a conscious effort not to be cruel to younger people.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

i remember distinctly saying when I was 25 -- 25, mind you, not even like college aged or something -- that i couldn't even imagine dating someone over 30 / they all seemed so old to me. now i'm in my mid-30s and i'm like...what the hell was wrong with me? lol. i think i was just scared of aging.

by demarco72 1 week ago

That's normal though, they were older compared to you

by Ebertcolin 1 week ago

I'm 23 rn, and I honestly think I'd date a 50 yo, if they'd let me.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I'm 25 and engaged to a 64 year old so it could happen.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

How'd that happen? I've never met an older person who took me seriously. Oh, and cheers on the engagement.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

We met through online dating and I messaged him first. I was pretty clear in my profile that I wasn't interested in hookups or sugar daddies and that I was dating with the goal of something long term, so I guess that may have played a role in him not immediately dismissing me. We chatted for a month before I asked if he wanted to meet up in person. The rest is history. We've been together five years, living together for two, and I still get butterflies when I wake up next to him every morning.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Older people, especially older people that seem to have lost some of there sense are twats, thats why I generally don't like being around them, they don't understand things they should

by No-Chart1763 1 week ago

unless you hate everyone and then the math becomes very simple

by demarco72 1 week ago

i like this idea

by dzboncak 1 week ago

Most people have a way easier time pointing out issues in stuff that does not affect them.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Nah they just start being ageist the other way

by Zemlakcamilla 1 week ago

I don't know if I agree with ageist being about disliking a certain age group. It's a lot more about disliking a certain generation, regardless of what age they are.

by Wilkinsonmarisa 1 week ago

Makes sense, you start your first 21 years being told you're not old enough for something or another. Then suddenly its not okay. Which we all understand why, but you literally have to get your brain retrained.

by Tking 1 week ago

It's "not my problem" until it IS your problem.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Most people are ageist and will continue to be ageist their entire lives. They just become ageist against different age groups as their own age change.

by No_Weight3993 1 week ago

All people are ageist, the age just changes.

by Own-Lie7450 1 week ago

I'm less than a month away from turning 68, and I still have a problem with people my age that move like they're 30 years older (especially when they're behind the wheel of a car). I still move like I'm 30, despite what my body has been through.

by Dramatic-Primary-880 1 week ago

"Ageist" is a weird one to me because people of all ages are not actually equal, you are less competent toward the beginning and the end and are most competent in the middle somewhere.

by Wide_Nebula_8143 1 week ago

Ironically they were most likely teens who were told by elders they would end up as disappointment and failures. And they were probably right about that.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I understand that. I do Uber and some of my younger riders in their early 20s which consisted of College students they look at me as if I'm 50 even though I'm only 33, but i noticed if you don't look or act around their age they treat you way differently. One example being that they have a certain language and they switch it up when they are talking with an older person, had 2 young ladies and an elderly in my car. Well of course they were talking in the generational tone then as they started to include me or the other older person they just started using a condescending voice or talking down on us as if we are hard to hear or something 🤷‍♂️

by Gislasonbradley 1 week ago

People are totally missing what you did...i see you buddy.

by Federal_Cookie_5547 1 week ago

And that would be 35.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Some people are still ageist to their own age. Dating younger for example or mocking someone for their behaviors or hobbies. Being told to "grow up" because I like YA novels.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I really used to think people in their 600s were out of touch. Now I'm the one complaining about younger generations. They don't even go on the hunt anymore.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I really used to think people in their 600s were out of touch. Methuselah?

by Kitchen-Quality-5940 1 week ago

Ageing is the great equaliser.

by betsy04 1 week ago

Until I reach a certain age? BS, I will always wish I was still just 20.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Then they're just ageist toward the young.

by peggie21 1 week ago

When I was a teen, I used to be so frustrated and angry at adults for being so stupid and dull, and for not understanding logic, the world, and everything else. Now that I'm an adult, I realize that I was right. Most adults are incredibly stupid. It's just how the average human is.

by Verlamonahan 1 week ago

Can't relate, I don't discriminate everyone sucks in their own way young old regardless of gender or anything

by ContributionWild2162 1 week ago

It's so stupid how people naturally pick sides. If more people could be aware of their own animal tendencies and use their big human brains to overcome them, we'd be in a better place

by Mkuphal 1 week ago

i guess i'm not most people lol, i don't hate the old or young people, i hate them all equally 😏

by Larissa58 1 week ago

Reminds me of the movie "Wild in the Streets" Thirty becomes a mandatory retirement age, while those over 35 are rounded up, sent to "re-education camps", and permanently dosed on LSD

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Permanently dosed? That has to get expensive.

by dena54 1 week ago

That's why, in the movie, the young people need to work so hard to supply old people with drugs. It's the same in real life, except we call it "Medicare."

by Tall_Lawfulness_4394 1 week ago

Is this supposed to be a bad thing cause you can sign me right up.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Is this a good movie? Kinda interested

by Abbottfoster 1 week ago

I think it's a meh. It was made in the 60s. Low budget. Saw it a thousand years ago though. . I'm sure it has some 'historical' value.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

The last time I heard someone use the word ageist, it was a creepy old pedo on MySpace hitting on me when I was 14.

by Outside_Entrance_869 1 week ago

In America the current two generations of "old people" just suck and left a mess for the next two generations to clean up. Here's a TED talk about it.

by Ok-Metal-4914 1 week ago

Young people hate on (hate on not hate) old people because it scares them that they will one day make it to that stage, if they even live that long. Old people hate on young people because they realize they are at the end of the ride and are riddled possibly tormented with regrets they have worked hard to sort through, or maybe haven't worked on at all which makes it worse.

by dena54 1 week ago