+22 Just because ADHD is common doesn't make it any less serious. amirite?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Is this a US thing? In my country you need a very thorough evaluation b4 you get anything prescribed for adhd. Do doctors make money off of prescriptions there?

by karlienicolas 1 week ago

I'm not sure about the money thing, but yeah depending on the doctor and how liberal they are with their prescribing it does not take a thorough evaluation to get a prescription for amphetamines. It comes down to doctors but the increase in prescriptions is a bit worrying. I have even heard rumors of people getting prescriptions for as little as a 30 minute online virtual meeting through telehealth companies that popped up through Covid. I get plenty of advertisements for them but don't have any personal experience with their prescribing practices

by uglover 1 week ago

ADHD isn't actually all that common though. It's just overdiagnosed, and people self diagnosis it consistently.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

No, and yes. It is over diagnosed, but even then it's still pretty common.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

How do you figure it is common? What source?

by uglover 1 week ago

It's common enough for all school teachers to be trained to identify kids who might have it. I would consider that common, but that's my take.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

That is like the worst metric ever to just claim that something is "common" you don't seem to be basing this opinion of any sort of quality data to make such a claim. Over diagnosing and over treating something that is usually treated with an extremely potent medication be be just as detrimental to people

by uglover 1 week ago

There is a general problem with all kinds of issues with mental health in the sense that there is still a huge group of people worldwide who don't consider them real. People just can't comprehend that these issues have always existed but we just recently managed to learn a bit more about them and give some help to these affected,

by nolanvandervort 1 week ago

I've been diagnosed with ADHD since I was 6-7 years old and I will say that I've seen a lot of people blame being a terrible human being on ADHD.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Perhaps that's because you are interacting with them while they're medicated.

by Suspicious_Bed_2023 1 week ago

As someone with ADHD and with a child with ADHD, I can attest that it can be very misleading. We can use our tendency to hyper-focus in productive ways. For example, I run my own business, serve on the board of a non-profit, and am an elected official in my small town. Outwardly, I appear to have it all together with perfect memory and organization. But behind closed doors, I struggle hard. My house is a cluttered mess and I'm constantly forgetting things that impact my family life. It's a secret struggle for so many of us, and I can honestly say that even with behavioral therapy and medication it is still an issue I struggle with daily.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

And you're interacting with them as children, wait until they hit 20's after going undiagnosed their whole life and they dive into a tailspin

by CaramelTop 1 week ago

These are college kids that are 18-23.

by Gerholdlaron 1 week ago