+32 Old slang is still relevant, amirite?

by Ztowne 1 week ago

Cool is timeless. It hasn't even wavered in usage since it's inception. It's just a word now, not slang

by Bernice84 1 week ago

So much so it's used in work settings without anyone batting an eye

by Overall_Operation_34 1 week ago

Right on, cool cat. 😎I think you mean etymology not entomology.

by Far_Ingenuity_2378 1 week ago

I get to do the thing! relevant XKCD

by Emotional_Big_5102 1 week ago

I'm gen z and my favorite thing to call people is "Squares"

by LogicalYesterday 1 week ago

L7, poindexter

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Hey, square is a good thing.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Hey man, I was just lookin' for fun and feelin' groovy.

by Ztowne 1 week ago

Slow down, you move too fast. You've got to make the morning last.

by Ok_Raspberry1298 1 week ago

I really sat here asking "when is Gen Y" as I, myself, am Gen Y

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I hate that this makes me sound like my Baby Boomer parents, but I feel like as soon as Gen Z came along the world went "Wait, we need to group all these X,Y,Z people together, but the Xs will be mad, sooo, start at Y?" I don't identify as a Millennial. I'm an 80's/90's kid! MTV and VH1.

by Ztowne 1 week ago

Yeah but you're the ones who were called Millennials first. I first heard the term Millennial used to describe people who were like 20 working their first job around the year 2000 It meant people who reached adulthood at the turn of the millennium

by Significant_Shift824 1 week ago

Yeah it's weird to think the generational names are "Greatest" and "Silent" and "Boomer" and then they ran out of names?? And were like meh, Gen X I guess? Then we got two I guess because we grew up at the turn of the millennium which I think is kinda cool, but we're also Gen Y because why not go back to betters

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Gen X is known as the Latchkey or Lost Generation. This is due to the increased divorce rates during their childhood years

by Shannaferry 1 week ago

I think the lost generation is know as the lost generation homie

by Anonymous 1 week ago

My brother is Gen X. I think that term caught on in the 80's because they actually identified with the idea. Put this in your noggin: the X Games started in 1995. I (born in '82) was 13. Not old enough to compete. Guess who was? Gen X. Gen X-treme. It's catchy! Then we got Gen [insert next letter] and the next gen got the same.

by Ztowne 1 week ago

It was first coined to describe that generation in 1987 by a Canadian author. We didn't have a generational name before that. Which seems fitting. It's an X because because it refers to an unknown variable or to a desire not to be defined.

by ebertarvilla 1 week ago

I want to hear some ancient Sumerian slang. I bet they had some good yo mama jokes, too.

by tressie39 1 week ago

Better start clicking that tongue, fool

by Overall_Operation_34 1 week ago

I've never heard a fellow millennial refer to themselves as Gen Y lmao, threw me off for a minute.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I'm a xennial (1980) and use slang from before my time. it's funny to see the folks I work with deal with me hitting then with a "groovy", or "rockin". My kids also properly respond to and use "dig" ("i dig it", "ya dig?") I call my son "kiddo", and folks are still dude and dudette.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I try to use Jazz lingo when I remember to. "Cool" came from Jazz, which I think is one of the longest lasting slang terms to stay in relevance to date. My favorite is "daddy-o", and you have to point the finger. Maybe a little eyebrow raise.

by Ztowne 1 week ago

Yeah, there's never been a cooler bit of slang than cool. It has conquered the world like no other expression.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Old slang is the only slang worth using. I'd rather "Neat" than "Gucci".

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Tubular, Radical, Fire, Dope

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Absolutely bonza.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

I don't know. Young women don't like it when I call them foxes. It's hard being a wild and crazy guy...

by Hefty_Peak 1 week ago

Keep on truckin'

by Defiant_Passage 1 week ago

Cool beans.

by Aromatic_Run5827 1 week ago

Idk if I'd call old slang irrelevant, it's just outdated. I personally use old slang whenever I get the chance cause it always gets a good laugh out of my partner. If you have any obscure outdated slang I'd love to hear it, the less sense it makes the better

by Zpadberg 1 week ago

Here is something to consider: your current phrases will be outdated. How do you feel about that?

by Ztowne 1 week ago

Totally tubular brah

by Most_Dog 1 week ago

After looking up my gen terms I give permission for millenial slang to disappear, but I'm older millenial so I might not count

by Casimer15 1 week ago

This is a groovy opinion!

by Imeldadicki 1 week ago

That you Mr. T?

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Every generation comes up with their own slang. Some last, some doesn't. Some TV tried to force on us. (My favorite failures is On the Jazz and Feldercarp) I agree there's nothing wrong with using the current slang, as long as you don't try to use ALL of it and act like you're of that generation.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

What the hell is a Gen Y

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Millennial

by kara88 1 week ago

Word

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Be honest: am I a simp for mewing to looksmaxx, or is edging goated?

by Binsaliza 1 week ago

Makes me want to stick my head in the deep fryer at my workplace.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

But you'll never get to see if Baby Gronk can rizz Livvy Dunn after her 18 year goon-sesh completes

by Binsaliza 1 week ago

Wait, gen Y? 41? You're a millennial.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Those are the same thing

Guess all the jokes finally got to them, they had to change their name lol

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Gen Y was the original term as it followed Gen X. Millennials was coined a bit later.

Im not sure about that one, think gen Y was a place holder while they were still being born. And millennial came out as the defining characteristic, then gen x got jealous and started making jokes since they still had the place holder name.

by Anonymous 1 week ago

Opp how can I splain it?

by Remarkable_Milk 1 week ago